PDA

View Full Version : Echo vs. Stihl

4 Seasons
01-29-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys but as far as I'm concerned all of Echo's power tools are just as good if not better than Stihl w/ the exception of their chainsaws. Over the the winter I bought all new Echo blowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, etc..... I have been using both brands for years and I really think that Echo is the top of the line for commercial use. I have had to do almost no maintnence on them for the past three years. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking Stihl at all, I'm just saying I think you get more for your money with Echo. What do you guy's think?

Mr Priceless
01-29-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm thinking Chevy vs. Ford senario. We are have our preferances, but secretly know that chevy's better, like echo hehe:cool::D

HenryB
01-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys but as far as I'm concerned all of Echo's power tools are just as good if not better than Stihl w/ the exception of their chainsaws. Over the the winter I bought all new Echo blowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, etc..... I have been using both brands for years and I really think that Echo is the top of the line for commercial use. I have had to do almost no maintnence on them for the past three years. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking Stihl at all, I'm just saying I think you get more for your money with Echo. What do you guy's think?

Forget them both and buy Redmax.

4 Seasons
01-29-2007, 10:03 PM
I've got the Red Max stick edger. That thing is sweet!!! And you know to be honest I've never really checked out any of their other power tools. Do they have blowers and all the rest of the stuff?

carcrz
01-29-2007, 11:53 PM
My Echo stuff all gave out on me after 2 1/2 years. I have now switched completely over to Stihl (w/ the exception of a back-up Redmax trimmer) so I will give an update after another 1 1/2 years.

02DURAMAX
01-30-2007, 01:28 AM
I only use Echo Power equipment.....I have an Echo SRM-3100 that is 7-8 years old with no problem and it still runs today....The only thing i use from Stihl is the Chainsaws and thats it....Other than that i use all Echo Equipment only.

lawnboy dan
01-30-2007, 08:43 AM
shindawia is the best and redmax second. i have had the worst service from sthil products overall

02DURAMAX
01-30-2007, 07:36 PM
shindawia is the best and redmax second. i have had the worst service from sthil products overall

Have you used Echo before??.....if you did,..Did you like it??

RedMax Man
01-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Forget them both and buy Redmax.

I'll 2nd that. All the Redmax tools that I have are powerful and dependable.
2 year commercial warranty and Strato-Charged engines make them last long and get your money's worth out of the equipment.

lawnboy dan
01-30-2007, 08:48 PM
yes i have used echo plenty. their products arnt on the same level of quality as shindawia and redmax

ed2hess
01-30-2007, 09:13 PM
yes i have used echo plenty. their products arnt on the same level of quality as shindawia and redmax

So what part is not good quality....the engine, the gear box, the clutches, the drive shaft?

lawnboy dan
01-31-2007, 08:15 AM
for me the engines didnt last as long as i thought they should have. the only echo i still prefer to use is their stick edgers. very comfortable to use all day. i used all echo when i first started out 16 yrs ago but i think quality isnt what it used to be with them. better reliability wise than most of my sthil stuff though

dutch1
01-31-2007, 11:09 AM
In my opinion, Echo's quality and reliability went south when they started selling in the big box stores. Big box purchases were an added burden to the Echo dealer due to the fact that BB's normally don't provide any service and the purchaser expects immediate warranty service from a dealer who didn't sell it. BB service went to the end of the line in our shop.

We had several pieces of Echo equipment that would not run right out of the box without a carb change out. Possibly, demand for equipment from the BB's contributed to poor quality control from Echo.

Dutch

flman
01-31-2007, 04:25 PM
In my opinion, Echo's quality and reliability went south when they started selling in the big box stores. Big box purchases were an added burden to the Echo dealer due to the fact that BB's normally don't provide any service and the purchaser expects immediate warranty service from a dealer who didn't sell it. BB service went to the end of the line in our shop.

We had several pieces of Echo equipment that would not run right out of the box without a carb change out. Possibly, demand for equipment from the BB's contributed to poor quality control from Echo.

Dutch

Don't mean to chime in on this subject.

But in my opinion all of the companies have had hard issues with reliability since all of the EPA restrictions. Echo sells a ton of handheld equipment and they still want to stay away from 4 stroke as much as possible. Stihl makes a good product too,but the homeowner series stinks IMHO.
Also,did you know that Echo just changed homeowner warranty to 5yrs? At least they are trying hard to make customers happy.

ed2hess
02-01-2007, 06:34 PM
for me the engines didnt last as long as i thought they should have. the only echo i still prefer to use is their stick edgers. very comfortable to use all day. i used all echo when i first started out 16 yrs ago but i think quality isnt what it used to be with them. better reliability wise than most of my sthil stuff though

No question the older units were better I still got both of my original units that start and run fine. Guess I am lucky but I never had an engine failure yet.

Snyderserv5060
02-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Personally, ive been happy with my Echo trimmers and blowers for the last few years... oh and I have a ford :)

Duncan90si
02-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Stihl, Echo I like them both. I go with Stihl just because there are a lot more dealers and parts available in my area. I used to like Shindawia but have had many problems in the last few years that made us stop using them. I would really like to try out a few Redmax products. The only problem is there is not a single dealer in my area. The closest dealer is over 30 miles away. :mad:

Bumblebee the mower
02-03-2007, 12:57 PM
I have been with Echo for a few years now. Iam well pleased. Dont forget that the brand you choose is only as good as the dealer who sold it to you. In this business that service or parts availability can be very crucial.

EMTDUCK1984
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Shidaiwa Or Redmax Either Way You Wont Go Wrong