PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bearings

The Captain
01-29-2007, 11:29 PM
I've done the search and haven't had a match yet. :confused: I need advice on how often I need to grease my trailer wheel bearings. With my boat I did it quite often because of the water problems. The 12' single axle and the 16' tandum I don't have a clue. Also along that thought, does anyone have comments on the 'Bearing Buddy" system for our use?

Thanks .....Jim

dennys-lawn
01-30-2007, 12:11 AM
We pack hubs every 6 months on trailers depending on use and how heavy the loads. The longest I would go would be yearly. Bearing Buddies do a good job for the weekend haulers who don't really use their trailer much. Hope this helps.

The Captain
01-30-2007, 12:21 AM
It sure does. Thanks for the help.....

Jim

dennys-lawn
01-30-2007, 12:30 AM
If you pull the hub off. Go ahead and replace the "Race" on the back side of the hub. It only cost a few bucks from any auto parts house. Preventive maintenance. :weightlifter: I owned a utility trailer company for 4 years. If you need any more info, let me know. Denny

grass disaster
01-30-2007, 12:35 AM
be sure to use amsoil grease, nothing beats it.

muddstopper
01-30-2007, 12:52 AM
I am going to disagree with just replaceing the bearing race on any bearing. The bearing and race wear together and should be replaced together. Putting an old bearing on a new race will cause excessive wear on both the race and the bearing and result in premature failure. The race is ground on a very precise conture, if you put a new race on a old bearing, your old bearing will be worn and not match up to that new contor, and you will endup with less bearing surface contacting the race. Less matchup means less surface to support the load and excessive wear and heat buildup in the bearing.

Bearing Buddies are fine to use as long as you use the correct type of grease in your grease gun. You can buy wheel bearing grease in the tube for using in your grease guns. It will be thicker and more heat resistance than the cheap grease that looks like vasiline. Even using the correct grease, I would still take the hub off at least once a year for repacking and a visual inspection.

dennys-lawn
01-30-2007, 01:20 AM
Good point Muddstopper. If you go through the process of breaking down the hub. You might as well replace ware and tear parts. A lot cheaper to replace than to breaking down or damaging a spindle and or axle. :cry:

grass_cuttin_fool
01-30-2007, 08:16 AM
I agree with muddstopper on what he says. B earing Buddies are fine but I would still check the bearings each year for normal wear and replace if needed, as Denny stated.........bearings are alot easier and cheaper than replacing an axle

wayne

Total.Lawn.Care
01-31-2007, 07:50 PM
If you pull the hub off. Go ahead and replace the "Race" on the back side of the hub. It only cost a few bucks from any auto parts house. Preventive maintenance. :weightlifter: I owned a utility trailer company for 4 years. If you need any more info, let me know. Denny

I think you meant the "Seal" on the back of the hub. That makes more sense.

I do not neccessarily feel that the bearnings/races need reaplacing once a year, but i agree that they should be inspected and repacked once a year. It is a good idea to keep a new set of bearnings/races/seals on hand so that when you tear them down for repacking, if they need replacing, you already have them.

I have two trailers that I have not even touched the hubs in 4-5 years and they are fine. I know, I need to be slapped.

The Captain
01-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Okay....Consider yourself slapped!

Now that we have that done, thanks again to all of you for the help.

Jim