PDA

View Full Version : New Commercial Backflows

PurpHaze
01-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Couple of pictures of new backflows installed over the Christmas holidays by the same contractor at one of our high schools. First one is on an area that had been cross-connected to domestic water for years and was finally installed. Second one is on the football field where a new irrigation system was installed last May. It will allow for back-feeding the athletic fields for more water/pressure during the summer months. Both are 3" FEBCOs with Zurn/Wilkens parts also. Why they're different I don't know.

Dirty Water
01-30-2007, 07:56 PM
The second RP doesn't seem to allow easy access to the checks.

Are those resilent wedge valves?

I like using the 3/4" ball valves as test cocks :)

PurpHaze
01-30-2007, 11:08 PM
The second RP doesn't seem to allow easy access to the checks. I like using the 3/4" ball valves as test cocks :)

It's the only one like it in the district. I was in too much of a hurry to examine it further and see exactly what model it is. Since I don't test them (district plumbers do) it matters not to me about test cocks. :)

Are those resilent wedge valves?

Yes.

Dirty Water
01-30-2007, 11:17 PM
My comment about the 3/4" ball valves was concerning being up to code.

I see 2 connection points in the first backflow and one in the second one that would allow "Joe Dogooder" to potentially attach a hose and contaminate the water supply.

PurpHaze
01-31-2007, 12:12 AM
I see 2 connection points in the first backflow and one in the second one that would allow "Joe Dogooder" to potentially attach a hose and contaminate the water supply.

Funny story: Our newest high school is currently having a pool built. The contractors were supplied a hose bibb off the irrigation backflow by our plumbers. Last Saturday the local water provider was inspecting the site and cited the contractor for an illegal hook-up without backflow protection. Thing is, where the connection was made it is protected. Inspector also thought the backflow was for the fire supression system as he'd never seen an 8" backflow for irrigation in our area either. The citation has been rescinded. :laugh: