PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbee MP Rotors

Bubbatex0
01-30-2007, 05:46 PM
A question for those who have installed the MP Rotors- Are the charts pretty accurate on the radius.Trying to design for 34' x 48' section. Any suggestions on the layout? It seems that I could use 4 MP3000's set at each corner with 90 deg setting and overlap very well., Maybe with a 3000 in the middle also.

Thanks,
Bubbatex0

Bubbatex0
01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry meant a 1000 in the middle. It will not let me edit 1st post.

Bubbatex0

Flow Control
01-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Trying to design for 34' x 48' section. Any suggestions on the layout? It seems that I could use 4 MP3000's set at each corner with 90 deg setting and overlap very well., Maybe with a 3000 in the middle also.

Thanks,
Bubbatex0

A basic rectangle box of 34' x 48'? With the MP I would go with 3 rows of 4 MP2000's or a lesser version would be two outside rows of (3) MP3000's and two MP2000's in the middle.

To each their own.

Repairs
01-30-2007, 11:13 PM
The mp's are great where I have used them. I have seen virtually zero problems in the field. The only issue I have run into is that the radius can only be adjusted downward a certain amount. I am sure this is to keep the unit working properly, but it doesnt really matter when your are waiting to get paid on the job, and some homeowner is crying because there is 6" of overspray hitting the street. They do seem to have very good coverage. JW

PurpHaze
01-30-2007, 11:43 PM
A question for those who have installed the MP Rotors- Are the charts pretty accurate on the radius.

So far I've found the 3000s, 2000s and strips to be pretty accurate as far as throw. I find the 1000s to be a little less than noted in the charts. Maybe it's just my experience.

I'm currently designing the manual to automated renovation of a front island (between an angle parking area and the street sidewalk) in front of one of our high schools solely with MPRs. The area is quite elliptical on one side with widths anywhere from 7' to 30' over the 500' length of the area, and then a rectangular planter on each end. I plan on doing it with a mixture of 3000s, 2000s, 1000s and strips on a total of four 1-1/2" Hunter ICV valves and a four station Hunter WVC.

Trying to design for 34' x 48' section. Any suggestions on the layout? It seems that I could use 4 MP3000's set at each corner with 90 deg setting and overlap very well., Maybe with a 3000 in the middle also.

What do you mean "overlap very well?" They should be as close to head-to-head as possible and I don't know of an MPR model that will throw 48'. You can mix and max the various models also in the same zone and I've found this to work quite well. Personally I'd put in three rows of 2000s if you're set on using MPRs in this area; 4 90s, 4 180s, 1 360. You can tone down the radii a little, use a pressure regulator on the valve to maintain a certain PSI insuring a specific radius or even throttle down the flow control on valves that have these to balance things out. There's several ways to tune in the area.

Bubbatex0
01-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, I don't know what I was thinking with that sorry excuse for coverage :confused: Just a stupid homeowner trying to learn.
Which one of these do you think would work the best- Have 2 file attachments. Sorry for the bad drawings but they should be close enough.

Also I intend on getting the Hunter 1" PVG 101g with flow adjustment valves. What is the opinion on these valves? Are they better than the SRV series?
With the MP Rotors I am using a 1" main with 3/4" trunk lines to many of the heads. According to the pros I should also use swing pipe from the 3/4" to heads, The swing pipe fittings are pretty small ID, will this affect the performance of the heads ( not as much water supply) Water is 65-70 static psi at 15 gal a minute.

Thanks a lot I have been reading through this site for my configuration and you guys know your stuff. :) Please let me know if I am on the right track.
I also am doing the rest of my yard I just have to do it a section at a time.

Bubbatex0

Repairs
01-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Put nine in there and let it rip. Don't over design the thing or you will never get it in the ground, and it will cost you more than it would to hire someone to do it. 1/2" swing pipe will provide all the water you need to run mp's, no worries there.

PurpHaze
01-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Use the second schematic.:)

PurpHaze
01-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Or like this. :)

Repairs
01-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Purphaze,

What software did you use to do that?

PurpHaze
01-31-2007, 11:53 PM
RainCAD Suite IX. It was just a 5 minute quickie with no bells and whistles. :)

Ed G
02-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Bubbatex, I'm one of them homeowners that put in a MP Rotator system. You'll love it.

Pay attention to what PurpeHaze states and DO put in valves with flow control. I put in 7 zones of MP Roatators (total of 33 rotators) in my back yard and the flow of each zone is adjusted a little bit different.

Bubbatex0
02-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I will use the second one with all MP 2000's, appreciate the help, just don't want to screw it up and have to redo. I am hand diggin all this in black gumbo which is really fun. However a little at a time and it is a good workout :cry: Also to get the professional grade stuff which is the suggestion of everyone on this board I have to order on-line and can't return it. That is why I am probably over analyzing it. Once again thanks.

Bubbatex0

Ed G
02-01-2007, 03:15 PM
check out this place for your components: marsanturf.com

Give 'em a call. Most stuff you may want is not listed on their website. They have great prices and free shipping.

I bought my MP Rotators (3000 and 2000) at my local irrigation supply house for $4.49 ea

PurpHaze
02-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I will use the second one with all MP 2000's, appreciate the help, just don't want to screw it up and have to redo. I am hand diggin all this in black gumbo which is really fun. However a little at a time and it is a good workout :cry: Also to get the professional grade stuff which is the suggestion of everyone on this board I have to order on-line and can't return it. That is why I am probably over analyzing it. Once again thanks.

Bubbatex0

Make sure you understand that you need to match your MPRs with the type of spray head they'll be installed on. There are male and female thread types of MPRs.

Bubbatex0
02-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks again for the help guys, After looking through this site I realized that I put my post in the wrong forum :nono: Needed to go in the homeowner forum, sorry. I think I have most of it figured out, Just trying to decide if it is worth buying the Hunter swing joints or build my own. Cost keeps going up but I have always believed in doing it right the first time. I am a little concerned that I have 3 zones with 15 heads each with the MP Rotators but from what I have read it should work with my 60 psi at 15 gal a minute.;)

londonrain
02-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks again for the help guys, After looking through this site I realized that I put my post in the wrong forum :nono: Needed to go in the homeowner forum, sorry. I think I have most of it figured out, Just trying to decide if it is worth buying the Hunter swing joints or build my own. Cost keeps going up but I have always believed in doing it right the first time. I am a little concerned that I have 3 zones with 15 heads each with the MP Rotators but from what I have read it should work with my 60 psi at 15 gal a minute.;)
No you posted it in the right place....

Bubbatex0
02-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Once again thanks for the info. I ordered parts today. Went with Hunter PGV-101G Series 1 '' threaded Inlet/Outlet with Flow Control and Hunter Pro-Spray 4 inch Pop-Up Spray Head with a few with the check valve for the lower elevations. Went with all MP Rotators. Will make my own swing joints. Also I went ahead and ordered enough to do the whole yard front and back. Will take me a while but will post results as I go if ya'll are interested.Hunter Pro-Spray 4 inch Pop-Up Spray Head

Thanks,
Bubbatex0

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Will take me a while but will post results as I go if ya'll are interested.

Always interested in how things turn out. :)

Flow Control
02-17-2007, 08:24 AM
still think (know) you would have been happier down the line with the 12 head design.

Bubbatex0
02-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Got some diggin done in the back this weekend. Managed to get the old tiller working and can lean it to 1 side and just dig a 4-6" wide trench. Fortunatelly around here I don't have to bury pipe too deep, got it about 6", don't freeze here very often but I do have a drain in the manifold so I can drain it down in the winter and a compressor to blow out what is left.
ICS you may be right about the 12 head design but I did order extra 2000 fulls so I may use 2 of those on the center line in the front yard instead of 1.
I am using 1" main pipe and 3/4" to the swing joints.

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 11:32 AM
ICS you may be right about the 12 head design but I did order extra 2000 fulls so I may use 2 of those on the center line in the front yard instead of 1.

What most of us have been trying to relate to you is that a "triangulated" layout like what you're thinking theoretically works better than a "rectangular" layout in maintaining balanced precipitation rates. However, triangular spacings have their place in the irrigation world... usually in areas that don't have any restraining borders. Golf courses are notorious for not having borders in given areas and will allow "dead spots" to occur purposely on the fringes of fairways between holes. In your case where there will be bounding borders you'll want rectangular head-to-head spacings which will work much better.

Bubbatex0
02-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Yea I think the rectangular will work best for me, I am just thinking that 2 2000 full in the front yard with the 200 180s (the first pick) would make sure I have ample coverage. Without any prior knowledge of installing a system its hard to get the head to head coverage in ones head :hammerhead: Also I will be doing the side yard and the back. I will add attachments of my drawings. I think I have it right. The backyard has 2 ponds a 12 x 12 storeroom and a lot of other things that make it fun to design. Tell me what you think.

Yellow Mp2000
Red various side strips
Purple 2000 Full
Blue 1000

Bubbatex0

Bubbatex0
02-19-2007, 02:44 PM
The pictures are way out of scale but should work

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Personally, you have a lot of coverage gaps on those new plans. :nono:

Bubbatex0
02-20-2007, 12:31 PM
PurpHaze,
Are you talking about the plan in the side yard by the boat or the back yard with the ponds? On the side yard with the boat it is 13' wide and all the 1000's are head to head. In the back yard the plans aren't really to scale very well and things don't line up right. It don't look like it but they are pretty much head to head. From the big pond to the front of the patio is 16' I have changed the plans a little what do you think of the new one. There is a blank space in front of the steps into the storage room that I may add another head. Around the outsides of the storage room may be a little weak also but the grass there is in shade a lot and I think I can get away with it.

Bubbatex0

PurpHaze
02-20-2007, 11:41 PM
I'd have to take a closer look on a "to scale" plot plan but right off hand I'm leery when I don't see sprinkler heads in corners.

Bubbatex0
02-21-2007, 11:55 AM
The only corner that does not have a head is the one by the upper pond which is a raised pond 24"high. I have a 2000 on either side of it that I hope will be sufficient. There is so many odd areas in the back that it is difficult for me to plan it.

Thanks,
Bubbatex0

Bubbatex0
03-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Well I'm 3/4 done, just have about half the front left to do. MP Rotors are working great so far. Need to tweak a little more but I do not have any gaps so far in back and side yard. :drinkup:

Thanks for the help :)

Bubbatex0
05-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Few pics of newbee install

Mike Leary
05-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Not a bad install..try to keep distance between lateral lines so if there's a
break you can insert a slip-fix. Otherwise you'll 45 your butt off gaining
room. I like to use wire ties to keep everything neat & tidy & away from the
valve bonnet so service is easier. Is that yellow wire connector waterproof?
Throw some white rock or pea gravel in to bed the manifold & your cool!

Bubbatex0
05-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Mike, This is the install I just finished at my own home, you guys here really helped me a lot and it works great. I put wolmanized plywood around the whole thing and filled it with gravel underneath so it could give and drain. We have black clay here tht shrinks and swells all the time. The box kept filling with water so I put a drain pipe into the bottom that you cant see in the pic. Those are regular wire nuts, I have some waterproof ones I am going to put on soon. Just finished the whole thing. Used MP Rotators and they are great so far. Notice my help in the last picture !!:hammerhead:

Mike Leary
05-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I like the chair picture..Lawn Buckner beer, I presume. Carefull of crossing
lines...someone (probably you) will curse that it was done that way.

Bubbatex0
05-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks,
As far as I remember I didnt cross any lines. And I tried to take a bunch of pics in case I have to dig later I will be able to tell where the pipes are. Going under the driveway was fun with 1" pipe.

Bubbatex0
05-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I ran 1" main everywhere with 3/4" to the head locations where needed and then the flex joints at the end. Filled the holes up 3/4 the way with pea gravel and dirt on top. Does it look like I did it right?

Thank's
Bubbatex0

Mike Leary
05-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks,
As far as I remember I didnt cross any lines. And I tried to take a bunch of pics in case I have to dig later I will be able to tell where the pipes are. Going under the driveway was fun with 1" pipe.

Photo "A" you've pulled a 90 & up across the other laterals. Picky picky!

Bubbatex0
05-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Dang it caught me. I had 1 head to feed about 6' that direction and thats the best way I could figure to feed it. I have a curved patio over there. But thats the only one :) Remember I'm just a homeowner installer :)

Mike Leary
05-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Dang it caught me. I had 1 head to feed about 6' that direction and thats the best way I could figure to feed it. I have a curved patio over there. But thats the only one :) Remember I'm just a homeowner installer :)

Not getting on you, per say..it's a common install screw-up w/the "pros",
you should have ducked under, of course, that's where the break would
happen! Avoiding "cross-overs" is a big challenge to the best of the best!

Remote Pigtails
05-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Put nine in there and let it rip. Don't over design the thing or you will never get it in the ground, and it will cost you more than it would to hire someone to do it. 1/2" swing pipe will provide all the water you need to run mp's, no worries there.

Nice to see you back. How's your year going? My daughter graduates from Southwestern next week so it may be a while before I get to eat at Chuy's and Monument **** again.

PurpHaze
05-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Not a bad DIYer Bubba. :)

Might have been better to locate that tree in the front yard a little farther from the full circle MPR. You'll be digging that sprinkler up in the future.

Ed G
05-05-2007, 07:30 AM
"Remember I'm just a homeowner installer"

Hey, hey. I resemble that remark!

I would have designed the zones so that lateral would have come from valve #4 and not valve #3 and avoided the cross over.

MP Rotators are so cool. Your going to be sitting in one of those chairs , with a beer in hand, watching them frequently.

Is that a hose bib in that box? What's that all about?

PurpHaze
05-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Is that a hose bib in that box? What's that all about?

I was wondering the same thing but forgot to ask. A snagged hose and an extra tug and SNAP. I was thinking it might have been put in for winterization but then I remembered Bubba is in Texas.

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I was wondering the same thing but forgot to ask. A snagged hose and an extra tug and SNAP. I was thinking it might have been put in for winterization but then I remembered Bubba is in Texas.

The faucet is asking for trouble..if the client wants a hose bib off the mainline
we'll spot a quick-couple valve in a 10" pit, use a two-piece q.c. (RB33DLR)
so it can be serviced in place. Pour concrete to the area below the threads,
use a hose swivel on the key & it'll go nowhere. A quick couple (besides
winterize) is a good place to monitor PSI/GPM.

PurpHaze
05-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Pour concrete to the area below the threads,
use a hose swivel on the key & it'll go nowhere.

Use a good swing joint (we build our own for QCVs too), compact properly around the QCV/swing joint and you won't need concrete.
:)

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Use a good swing joint (we build our own for QCVs too), compact properly around the QCV/swing joint and you won't need concrete.
:)

Swing joint a given..on large systems where I know the compressor will
be running for some time during winterize, I'll spec a brass tee, ells & a 6"
brass nipple to the q.c. to avoid heat buildup. Early on, I melted some m.i.p.
fittings & launched some Stream-Rotors to the moon!

PurpHaze
05-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Pictures would be nice of a launched sprinkler head from winterizing. :)

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I was so scared when it launched (standing next to it w/remote), a photo
was the last thing on my young mind!

Bubbatex0
05-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the #4 valve is a fill for one of my ponds, it isnt part of the sprinkler system per se or I could have used it and avoided the crossover. In the round box on the side is a fill for my main pond and a line for my misters that go all around my patio. The head by the tree out front probably will need to be moved sometime, however it is 2' away from the tree(Caught again didn't think about tree growing). The hose bib is just a drain I put in just in case I have to drain down for some reason.

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks for sharing Bubba. :)

Now... mow that yard!!! :laugh:

Dirty Water
05-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for sharing Bubba. :)

Now... mow that yard!!! :laugh:

Thats the best way to get those rocks you forgot to pick up out of the yard.

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Thats the best way to get those rocks you forgot to pick up out of the yard.

What??? And replace the rocks with pieces of shattered mower blade??? :laugh: