PDA

View Full Version : Accepting credit cards

koster_irrigation
01-31-2007, 07:56 AM
How many of you guys accept credit cards? I literally have a couple of people a year ask if i accept. I know im not losing business because i currently dont accept any.

Expensive to set up? Downfalls? Any good results?

Im just wondering if i was to place the M/C VISA symbols at the bottom of my invoices, would people pay quicker? or choose to use it..

Flow Control
01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Figure on the average of 2.2-3% in fees per transaction plus a few dollars a month for admin. fees. Try to buy a used terminal off ebay that can be reprogrammed by your provider instead of paying full price for a new one, you will save a $100 or so. Make sure that whatever machine you get is up to date. The newer machines will only show the last 4 digits of someones card on the receipt. Since you are a service company they will try to push the wireless hand held machines on you that you can take in the field, just evaluate if you really need them. I don't use mine that much because I don't push it unless if I see it could be a sales tool on a install or large repair/upgrade. Some people just expect a company to take Visa/MC. Go to buyerzone.com for bids. I use Bank of America.

SprinklerGuy
01-31-2007, 08:22 AM
I know of a guy who may be able to help with a good deal on the wireless...free in fact.....but read the fine print. I have some buddies that use him....give him a call

Bill Janis
wmjanisjr@yahoo.com

Tell him Tony Neumann sent you....good luck.....

bicmudpuppy
01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Talk to your bank. If you can keep your pos right at your computer, you don't have to have the machine. You can do it through a computer portal as well. Depends on the provider, etc. The more volume you do in credit cards, the better your overall fee will be. If your only doing one here or there, the fees could jump over 3%. And it sounds corny, but I've done a few cards through paypal. The fees are bad, but to close a deal it worked out on a few installs. The guy just didn't get as good a final deal as cash.

GreenN'Clean
01-31-2007, 09:59 AM
I was going to do it last year and talked about it with my existing customers and none of them wanted to pay with a credit card so I decided not to do it. It doesn't seem worth the it, plus the fees and the fact no one wants to pay with a CC.

Grass-Masters
01-31-2007, 10:21 AM
I am sure it won't hurt you to accept them. Alot of people only use plastic, even with there checking accounts. I don't think it will change your business much, but it could who knows.

billsdepot
01-31-2007, 10:30 AM
I started accepting credit cards last year. It has worked to my benefit. Customers that I have for lawn maint. use it for convienence. It helps me with cash flow because I am not waiting 14 days for payment. I get the money in 2 days. It also has helped me in landing higher end work because customers either don't have the cash in the bank or wish to float it for 30 days. To cover the expense of offering credit cards I increased ALL my lawn maint. contracts 2% in case they wish to use a credit card along with putting in my bids on other services I offer. I don't need a terminal as the company I use allows me to enter the required info online. I have a document I use for the customer to sign for an approval to charge their card.

Repairs
01-31-2007, 04:07 PM
One of the best things about accepting cc's is it can get you paid faster. I even give discounts to customers who pay the same day the work is done.

londonrain
01-31-2007, 08:50 PM
I accept credit card payments via paypal.

gusbuster
02-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Now a days, it's at a point that you have to accept credit cards if you want business. I know very few people besides myself, my wife mom and dad who actually will have at least $50 in their wallet.

Dirty Water
02-01-2007, 11:22 PM
I just finished designing a custom credit card handling system for a small company. (I'm also a computer programmer :) ).

We used Authorize.Net as the merchant gateway. Using them was extremely easy, and they are affordable. I would stay away from sites such as Paypal, as they aren't a true credit card merchant gateway.

Authorize.Net allows for online transactions, as well as card present transactions using a terminal. If your willing to pay a programmer such as myself, you could even have a custom online invoicing system built, allowing a customer to login to your companies website and pay their bill online.

http://www.authorize.net

Repairs
02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
What are some of you using for a field terminal. We are still keying in the card numbers at the shop, and in the current state of cc theft and id theft that will not last much longer. I am anticipating needing to get a wireless terminal, or something similar.

SprinklerGuy
02-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Try Bill Janis...friend of mine.

www.creditcardsystemsforfree.com

Mention my name....

H2O
02-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Has anyone had a cc chargeback?
Was it a hassle to deal with? How long did it take to prove or resolve the case?

Flow Control
02-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Was it a hassle to deal with? How long did it take to prove or resolve the case?

H2O, nice website & company. How do you like your box truck with the utility doors.

H2O
02-13-2007, 11:04 AM
ICS, thanx for the kind words.
As far as the box truck goes, the boss Erik, loves it. Saves him alot of time and hassle of looking for parts. I personally see it as a driving ad/billboard, we get lots of calls "we saw your truck".

Back to the CC's...
Up until now we have had no need for CC's, maybe 1 or 2 requests per year. But after having read this thread i see the potential for less paper invoicing, reminders for late payments, and additional calls for payment.
The small cc fee will save me alot of hassle. Today, we are looking into accepting CC's.

Now i'm wondering what is the best option. A merchant account thru our bank or an online gateway with cc payment on our web site?
Any opinions? Any pros or cons? Which online CC company is best?
Thanx!

Precision
02-15-2007, 08:51 PM

I use Quickbooks via computer portal. It works out great and billing is set up automatically to pop up when you scedule the invoice. Complete history tracking and the like.

chargebacks and a bit annoying, but so far I have only had scumbag clients try it and I have won on each occasion. The only annoying part is a little paperwork and having to wait 60 days for resolution and they remove the money from your acct while the proceedings pend.

I give the appearance of a discount for using the credit card. In reality I figure out my price and add a bit if they want to pay by check (or any way other than CC). That way I get the deposit on the card ahead of the work. Then I run the balance on the day the work is completed. If they try a chargeback, I have two charges separated by at least a week as proof of consent. Helps out on cash flow, saves tons of time chasing payment, makes it easier for people to spend more money / opt for upgrades, allows them to `forget` about the payments, removes the need to send out invoices or reciept for scheduled or contracted jobs. All around it saves me a ton of time which equals money, despite the 2.5% or so that I pay.

irrig8r
02-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I haven't ever offered this to customers, but a few have asked. I recently saw a brochure about it at Costco for business members. It seemed to me at the time that the rates were competitive, but there was probably an annual fee and/or a charge based on number of transactions. Also not sure what's involved verifying transactions when not in a retail or office location with a land line...

SprinklerGuy
02-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Lots of merchant providers will give you an 800 number to call to verify funds prior to running it back at the office.

Or you can call my buddy Bill Janis....cool wireless cc terminal....

Free

Somewhere around 15 per month.....that is the minimum..so if you didn't run any cards, it would be at least 15 per month...

Read the site, don't take my word for it...he is a great guy though..that you can take my word for.

http://www.creditcardsystemsforfree.com/