PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Advice

firstgrasshopper
01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
How many of you are having Oil Useage Issues with your Kohler 27hp .
Are you getting the run around from Kohler on their warranty?

razor1
02-11-2007, 08:25 PM
How old and how many hrs.? How much oil does it use? What machine is it on? I just bought a Lazer Z w/that engine. (so no info. yet)

J&R Landscaping
02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
You might consider checking in the mecanic, repair section. I remember this topic being discussed.

fastcutter
02-11-2007, 10:06 PM
I had one on a z and it kept blowing the dip stick out of it and blow oil al over you.

Restrorob
02-11-2007, 11:17 PM
How old and how many hrs.? How much oil does it use? What machine is it on?

These are the questions that need to be answered, This will give something to go on.

thecrankshaft
02-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Most likely a head gasket, or bad breather reed. Kohler has a two year warranty on the Command engines. When did you purchase this unit?

firstgrasshopper
02-17-2007, 07:36 PM
The Exmark 60" Lazer Z Has about 700 hrs, and is 12 mons old. Kohler saying it is owner neglect, which is totaly untrue. This mower has been serviced religiously every 50 hrs or sooner. They claim they found dirt in the intake, I asked what would happen if the air breathers had never been changed, then I suggested they would just clog not let more dirt through. They are not wanting to admitt problems with their air filtration system. By the way they reccomend service every 250hrs on the Donaldson type. Beware!!!

dutch1
02-17-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't know what your consumption rate might be, but I do recall from my short 6 year stint in a shop situation that 1 oz./hr was acceptable consumption on Commands, though I don't recall a particular hp engine. That information, as I recall came direct from Kohler tech, as we had experienced the same feedback from commercial cutters. I don't recall for centain on the 1oz/hr, it could have been 1oz./2hrs, Irregardless, there was an expected oil consumption, and at the time it seemed to me to be excessive. For what its worth.

Dutch

pugs
02-17-2007, 09:14 PM
The Exmark 60" Lazer Z Has about 700 hrs, and is 12 mons old. Kohler saying it is owner neglect, which is totaly untrue. This mower has been serviced religiously every 50 hrs or sooner. They claim they found dirt in the intake, I asked what would happen if the air breathers had never been changed, then I suggested they would just clog not let more dirt through. They are not wanting to admitt problems with their air filtration system. By the way they reccomend service every 250hrs on the Donaldson type. Beware!!!

If the filter clogged completely the engine would not run. Basically air will find a path way around the clog. If the filter clogs, the air will sneak past whatever seals the filter to the intake. If the air didnt get around the filter the engine would not keep running...

razor1
02-18-2007, 05:19 PM

Keep the pressure on Kohler/Exmark. It seems some companies try to weasel out of any warranty repairs. Have you called the dealer where you bought it? How about Exmark? Exmark # 1-402-223-6300. By the way, who is "they"?

lucforce
02-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I have NEVER found Kohler to not pay a warranty claim that was asked due to failure of their products. In fact, I have seen the company pay claims that I disagreed with but they paid "In good faith" to keep the consumer happy with the product. I have also gone to them and gotten "policy adjustments" when common failures occurred just outside the warranty period.

I also have found no defects in their modern air filtration systems. What are the problems that you are referring to?

Dirt in suspension (Dust) in a fluid (Air) is going to flow with the fluid. If you are not replacing your air filters once they are restricted, the fluid is going to find a new path to make its way into the engine. These include mostly: improper sealing of air filter from ill-fitting aftermarket filter or damaged filter from banging out dust or improperly installed Kohler filter, lack of use of gasket around air cleaner base, and around throttle and choke shafts. Often seen is also a missing oil fill cap allowing dirt directly into the crankcase.

Failures due to dirt ingestion are common from the above occurrences and ARE neglect and/or abuse of equipment by the owner. This is NOT warranty related failure.

Restrorob
02-18-2007, 07:42 PM
I have NEVER found Kohler to not pay a warranty claim that was asked due to failure of their products. In fact, I have seen the company pay claims that I disagreed with but they paid "In good faith" to keep the consumer happy with the product. I have also gone to them and gotten "policy adjustments" when common failures occurred just outside the warranty period.

I agree with lucforce above, I have never had any problems with Kohler's warranty program. I have also done the same by calling Kohler with what I figured neglect only to have them take care of the repair. They are very much into satisfying consumers so they will continue purchasing their products.

Now, If a dealer is a hard nose and doesn't like doing warranty claims and doesn't care if the customer ever steps foot back into his business they will look for ways to get out of doing the repair under warranty. These dealers can get more money than warranty will pay if the customer pays which is what compels them to do this.

My suggestion is; Take your unit to another Kohler Authorized Warranty repair center and get a second opinion, Some dealers will go out of their way to help.

shsmallengines
02-19-2007, 07:19 AM
I gree with Restrorob you need a scound opinion on this

razor1
02-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm glad to hear Kohler stands behind there product. After hearing that, I think I have had some dealer problems. Some of these dealers shoot first and ask questions later. Whether you're right or wrong, to them you're wrong unless you have some pretty good evidence to the contrary.

thecrankshaft
02-22-2007, 03:02 PM
By the way they reccomend service every 250hrs on the Donaldson type. Beware!!!

And I bet you are so good with your maintenance that you change it at every 249.9999999999 hours.

As is the case with any air cleaner, and any company's maintenance requirements, it is XXX hours or WHEN DIRTY (also worded as more frequently under dusty conditions).

The thing is, with internally vented carburetors, the engine doesn't run rich and blow black smoke like they used to when the air filter was dirty, in the days of externally vented carburetor bowls.

I personally agree with the others that Kohler has a better than most warranty policy and they go out of their way to help customers, most of which feel their engine has a guarantee, not a warranty - as there is a difference.

EMTDUCK1984
02-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Firstgrasshopper How Close Are You To Carrollton

firstgrasshopper
02-25-2007, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=the thing is, with internally vented carburetors, the engine doesn't run rich and blow black smoke like they used to when the air filter was dirty,

Well, where in the world does that black smoke come from, when you use the choke to crank the mower when cold, is my vent not working, DUH,
Doesn't the choke cut off the air and allow fuel to flood into the engine.
Thanks

firstgrasshopper
02-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Firstgrasshopper How Close Are You To Carrollton

I'm close to 2hrs away.
Thanks

thecrankshaft
02-25-2007, 09:13 PM
the thing is, with internally vented carburetors, the engine doesn't run rich and blow black smoke like they used to when the air filter was dirty,

Well, where in the world does that black smoke come from, when you use the choke to crank the mower when cold, is my vent not working, DUH,
Doesn't the choke cut off the air and allow fuel to flood into the engine.
Thanks

Carburetors work because of a difference in pressure, causing the gas to move into the intake air flow at the venturi. You have a certain pressure on top of the fuel in the carburetor bowl, and a much lesser pressure in the carburetor venturi, thanks to Bernoulli's principle.

The vent determines where the pressure for the carburetor bowl comes from. If it is external, it stays as consistent as the pressure outside. If it is vented internally (which almost all are these days because evaporative emissions resulting in HC in the atmosphere come from an external bowl vent), the pressure will change based on how dirty the air filter is, among other things. This keeps the pressure difference more constant, but you can see how it would change with an externally vented carburetor bowl. The engine needs to "suck" harder with a dirtier air filter.

The idle and off-idle (transitional) ports within a carburetor use manifold vacuum to draw fuel through the ports.

When the choke is closed, manifold vacuum is extremely high because the engine can't draw air from anywhere. The excessive vacuum draws fuel from the main jet as well as the idle and off-idle ports, richening the fuel mixture to the point it will supply enough fuel for the engine to start.

Black smoke from the exhaust indicates a rich air-fuel mixture, which is certainly the case when the choke is engaged.

EMTDUCK1984
02-26-2007, 02:27 PM
If You Need Anything Looked At On It Or Cant Figure It Out Let Me Know

firstgrasshopper
02-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for your generous offer, I still do not have my mower back, the dealer has had it now 8wks, while Kohler tried to decide what to do, now they are offering to put a short block on it but with the old heads, and they want me to pay shipping and labor, = $500. The mechanic says the heads need to be replaced, because of the valve guides, and this would be a patch job otherwise.

This mower was carried back to the shop with less than a 100hrs on it, with an oil usage complaint right after I bought it new. The dealer knows it had an oil usage problem and told me just to change the oil every 25 - 30 hrs. Well now it uses 2 qts between changes. The dealer tried to tell Kohler about its history, but it didn't make any difference.
I wouldn't cal this a warranty or guarante.

thecrankshaft
02-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you have the model and serial number of this engine?

Wolfden
03-02-2007, 09:21 PM
I just had a 25 hp Kohler blow up due to no oil ,I believe,. I just got the short block together . $750 . I had no idea Kohler was haveing such oil issiues , had I known this I might have gone with a Briggs .

I'v had the Sears/Craftsmen GT5000 about 2 yrs and use it 4-5 days a week,I am a mechanic by trade 25 yrs ,so I have kept up with mantaince, I have about 14 acres ,a few critters that need tending . I also bought the plow and snowthrower unit , which I havent even used yet , in fact when the engine went balistic , I was getting things together to put it on , seeing asthu we just got a ton of snowfall .
needless to say I'm very disappointed in Sears and Kohler and probibly wont deal with either if possible

Thanks
Wolf

EMTDUCK1984
03-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Is It A Kohler Courage

Wolfden
03-03-2007, 08:03 PM
No its a command cv740-0017 vertical crankshaft

Wolf