PDA

View Full Version : scuff marks cylinders?

joyrock
02-01-2007, 02:43 PM
i'm working on a friends kohler ch23 that fell into a lake while running (don't ask how, you don't want to know (very, very long story)). so i called kohler and asked them what to do. thay said take it apart, clean everthing, and put it back to geather again. and put in new lifters. and rings. ok. i did that. but after it fell in the lake, it sat, for a week or so. when i pulled the heads off there was rust on the cylinder walls (there was water in there too), so i deglaze the walls (to get the rust off to). well it's all one peace now. but it now makes a high piched wine noise. it runs great. so i pulled it apart again. and inside the wall of cylinder 1, on the flywheel side in the dead middle (9o'clock looking at the crank) theres little scuff marks, about 5mm long, about 8 or so. thats not normal, is it? i have no idea whats making this noise. you got any ideas?:confused:

shsmallengines
02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
No scuff marks are not normal are there any marks on the piston also not sure about the noise. Kinda sounds like that piston was was making the noise can not be sure. Might have got a piece of trash in there when it was put together.

Restrorob
02-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Does this noise increase with engine RPM ? Could be a warped flywheel shroud backing plate hitting the flywheel ? Or maybe you put one of the longer (4) screws from the shroud at the head area into the side mount area and it's hitting the flywheel ?

joyrock
02-02-2007, 09:51 AM
nothing is hitting the flywheel. this is coming from inside the motor. the weird thing is i have done this same thing to other motors, Briggs & Stratton, Tecumseh mostly. never had this noise, or problems with those engines. the only other time i have heard a noise like this is a brand new ECHO hand held blower, it made that kind of wine for about 2 years, then stoped (that blower was used all most every day). so scuff marks = bad. i got a scratch on the piston right below the oil ring going down 12MM, this is still Cyl 1, it's on the 6o'clock (dead bottom). thats the odd thing, the marks on the cylinder wall are at the 9o'clock, and this line on the piston is at the 6o'clock and is only 12mm long, and the scuff marks on the wall are about 5mm or so, 90 dergees off. thanks for the help. it's driving me nuts.

khouse
02-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the scratches. If you honed the cylinder then the high areas was knocked down. No it's not perfect but will work. That would not be your whining noise.
If you didn't find anything rubbing like Restrorob said then take the plugs out and turn the crank by hand. See if it feels tight. See if the clutch is rubbing also.

MowerMedic77
02-03-2007, 12:49 PM
That motor has a mechanical oil pump did you clean it out? If it sat a week and developed rust then I would check there, Just my opinion if it pumped water I would replace it, don't forget to get a new pickup tube also.