PDA

View Full Version : Box Truck Owners

troblandscape
02-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Hi, I just bought a box truck and have been researching old threads regarding ramp systems for box trucks. From what I have read so far I have heard of three options and these are my opinions on the ramps.

Usa Ramp $1200- Reasonably Priced But looks heavy and doesn't look like I would get a year out of it.

Handy Ramp $3000- Again looks heavy and some people said it was, and the price is pretty steep(and yes I know about overhead) for a ramp that pretty much looks like the USA ramp.

Dovetail Ramp form Womack Bodies in Ga. $1100.00 I think this system blows the other two out of the water with price and ease of use. The only thing that concerns me is the rear-end bottoming out on steep driveways. The thing that really really concerns me is what a few people have said on this site about *the tail end swinging out into lanes while making a turn and hitting passing cars* ..... But Large school buses have huge tail ends and I watched one turn today and the tail end did not swing out, from what I saw it looks like if you are moving forward the tail end will not move out further than it was when you where stopped waiting to make the turn. I think this has to do with physics and was misunderstood by someone in a thread that I read....

Anyway. My reason for starting this thread is to ask anyone who has the dovetail ramp if tail swing occurs where it would be possible to clip another vehicle while making a turn. ( Also does anybody know of any other systems for box trucks, If they are driven by a motor to raise and lower, not interested... Too Slow.

Thanks

Tadams
02-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I just got my box truck at the end of Nov. and got the dove tail from Womack's put on about a week after that. I've got a 16' box with a wheel base of 150". The guys at womack said that is what I needed to be able to put the ramp on a 16' box.

I haven't had any problems with turning onto a street but I am very careful when I park in a parking space at Home Depot or Lowes. You can pull straight into a parking space but if it is a narrow row ( too close from one side to the other side ) it could be possible to clip the car that is next to you. I usually just park at the end of the row so I don't have to deal with that. Plus you can see the name and number better.

There are a couple of steep office parks that the tail drags on a little and a few driveways. I have noticed other marks at the same places where other trucks have had the same problem. I haven't got stuck yet and I don't that will be an issue either.

There is not a lot of difference in a driving a box and pulling a trailer. There are things that you had to learn so you could pull and maneuver a trailer and there are different things that you will have to learn to drive and maneuver a box truck. Not a big deal though.

Lets see some pics of your box truck and some details.

robknasel
02-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Hello,
I have purchased the Safe-T Ramps through USA Ramp. I have a 14' foot box. I am happy with my installation and purchase of the ramps. Beleive me for a little while there I felt like the dumbest person alive for buying a box truck to mow grass with. But guess what now I know I made the right choice. The ramps have a draw back though. The designer and owner suggests using a strap to hold them in place while you transport. This would never work and I explained to him that his design was poor and that I would be cussing him by the end of the week. So I designed and installed my own ramp stabilizer for transport mode. The ramps are nicely made and durable. You wont wear them out in one season. They are heavy but they can install additional pneumatic pistons for a minimal charge. I dont want to sound like I am a Safe-T ramp sales person. Believe me I am not. One huge complaint was when I received my $1300 ramps that one of the ramps was welded incorrectly. As I was speaking to the owner he was on the phone with his fabricator telling him to stop the presses and that he would be there to correct him on his mistake immediately. I was impressed and refunded some money for my faulty ramp. Less than perfect but still work great. Ok here is the realy kicker. And youll have to take my word on this one. The dovetail on the box truck is a bad idea. Beleive me I thought of it for a long time. First off, You better be on a predictable grade, meaning somewhat flat or your ramps may of may not hit the ground the right way. Second you will bottom out. Yes you will. I tested this theory with a wood mock up. Third you will lose your towing ability. Yes you will. Ok lets put a trailer on a hitch that is now 3 -4 feet long. Hmmmm, what kind of tongue weight do you now have. You are asking the truck to hold up a hitch that is way to far from the rear axles. I have installed a hitch on my truck, cost $800. Yes because most box trucks dont have the ability to have a class 2 hitch without major reinforcing. I am also going to have two more leafs on each set of springs added, because with the zero turn in the back and the walk behind upfront it is squating. $600. Ok about the dovetail thing. Are you the only person that is going to drive this truck. Ok you just lied if you said yes. I work for a city fire dept. We have these big trucks called ladder trucks. The ladder is a 90 foot platform and the platform sticks off the back about 5 feet. If you are not moving before you turn you will send a small car sailing. I am not kidding. We have had several accidents like this in this truck. Truck verses pole. Truck verses tree. Truck verses semi truck. Luckily never me. Ok so why have a truck that is such a hazard to drive. If you have any more questions email me robknasel@springfieldsignaturelawncare.com. I would be glad to send you some pictures. And also Lowell at usaramps is a hell of a nice guy and will make sure your satified with your purchase. Good Luck

Rob Knasel

Springfield Signature Lawn Care
Springfield OH

troblandscape
02-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks Rob I have decided to Go with the USA Ramps with the Piston assists. Can you please email me some pics of you set-up because I want to see how you hold them up during transport. Thanks Alot for your help. TAdams Thank You also for your help, if I was going to be the one driving it I would probly go with the dovetail, but my lawn foreman will be and I dont want to lose any sleep on the possibility of tail swing out. I will post pics when I finish the truck, The weather here is really cold and I have not got a chance to get it ready.

troblandscape
02-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Rob my Email is robhardscape@hotmail.com

robknasel
02-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Computer in for repair and the pics are on the computer. Too Cold to take pics. Please email me at robknasel@springfieldsignaturelawncare.com and I will keep you email and send the pics in a couple of days.

Thanks
Rob Knasel