PDA

View Full Version : purhaze post jinxed me

Remote Pigtails
02-02-2007, 04:07 PM
My service guy is getting continuing education credits in order to keep his license so i'm handling the service calls. it's 39 degrees and we've had light snow and what seems like an easy call comes in. Turned out the leak was four feet from where it was showing up and under a berm. It was a 3/4" tee that blew off a pipe because of a lousy glue joint. Dallas is filled with this kind of pathetic work. Look how far the rb are sticking out. The same system has what I consider one of RB biggest disasters. Anybody else see these anymore? The contractor who installed this system installed thousands of these heads all over N. Dallas. The problem is he didn't use cutoff nipples. He glued ma on black poly and they all leak as well. Job security I call it.

londonrain
02-02-2007, 04:15 PM
That head is from the early 80's. I still maintain a job we did back in 1982 or 1983 that still has a few of these heads that are still working....

Wet_Boots
02-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Gluing black polyethylene? Nice work if you can get it. Is that a pre-1800 popup?

Remote Pigtails
02-02-2007, 04:51 PM
I guess I shouldn't be too critical of the head since i've yanked Hunters and Hardies that weren't even three years old. the headache with these is that you know they will be attached to ma glued on black poly glued into the fitting and replacing with 4' popups requires replacing the fitting. Sometimes a product gets a bad rap because the main installers of them did lousy or dumb work. They do seem to split at the base along the edge or at the threads. But we have lots of them here because they came out during a major housing boom in Dallas.

Remote Pigtails
02-02-2007, 05:09 PM
I exploded for you. I was installing Toro at the time so this was my competition. It seems smart , a head shorter than a 3" popup that popped up to 4".

PurpHaze
02-02-2007, 06:30 PM
LOL R/P... Glad to see others get shoddy work like we do. Sock it to them for T&M. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
02-02-2007, 08:28 PM
I vaguely remember that head, but that was at a time when there were still all-brass 'hi-pop' heads of a titanic two-inch pop-up height. Something to sell those who were still trenching by hand, and begrudged every inch of trench depth. No funny pipe back then.

PurpHaze
02-02-2007, 10:56 PM
One of the majors came out with a 2" pop-up for those areas where trenches/plowing can't be very deep.

PurpHaze
02-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I vaguely remember that head...

Ever come across an old head like this one? He overindulged on Otter Pops. :laugh:

Remote Pigtails
02-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Can you explode that for us?