PDA

View Full Version : Loud Diesel Exhaust Unprofessional?

TGM
02-02-2007, 07:01 PM
i have a five inch straight pipe on my truck (01 24v - i love diesel performance). i like to be as professional as possible with how i present myself and business (unlike whom i still work for). i have seen many lco's with exhausts, most are gassers with a gibson or whatever, not too loud.

has anyone gotten hell for having a loud exhaust?

Sydenstricker Landscaping
02-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Have a few times when plowing snow a year ago with my GMC with a 350 V8.
Had flowmaster duals on it, customer called and complained cause the truck woke their dog up at three in the morning. That truck would rattle the toilet water inside the house when I hit the gas. But never had anyone say a thing as far as the landscape thing goes. It is during the day and alot of people arent home

02powerstroke
02-02-2007, 07:26 PM
i have a five inch straight pipe on my truck (01 24v - i love diesel performance). i like to be as professional as possible with how i present myself and business (unlike whom i still work for). i have seen many lco's with exhausts, most are gassers with a gibson or whatever, not too loud.

has anyone gotten hell for having a loud exhaust?

Nope, 2002 Ford 7.3L 4" turbo back, no muffler 6" tip

TGM
02-02-2007, 08:40 PM
now what about stacks?:hammerhead:

d&rlawncare
02-02-2007, 08:51 PM
The neighborhood newspaper lady had a loud muffler. When she first started the route I woke up at 5am every day because of her. Not good when you have to get up at 6 anyways. A few calls to the paper and she was gone. My wife works mids and if you woke her up do to your loud exhaust you would no longer want to work in the area.

jtkplc
02-02-2007, 09:40 PM
I think it sounds unprofessional.

TWUllc
02-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I think it sounds unprofessional.

X2. :nono:

TGM
02-02-2007, 11:55 PM
yeah, i dunno. at idle from the front or left side you'd never know it, being it doesn't have pilot injection like the common rail. the normal noise itself will wake you up. ...plus the fact i wont mow at 5am. i'm still on the fence though... depends on my mood i guess;)

bowhunter74
02-03-2007, 12:36 AM
X3

It makes me think of punk kids

02powerstroke
02-03-2007, 12:49 AM
My trucks only real loud when its wide open and if your going wide open well then thats unprofessional but other wise its not that bad.

DLCS
02-03-2007, 01:03 AM
X4 unprofessional, not good for business.

02-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Not good for business?? Most of my customers when I did landscaping before, loved my truck and loud exhaust. I actually sold a few jobs because my truck looks so nice and they liked the exhaust note. I guess it depends on your area.

Mike33
02-03-2007, 09:46 PM
If you like that look and noise why dont you just buy yourself a tractor/ trailer then you can get paid to listen to the noise and look at real stacks.
Mike

Mike33
02-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Have a few times when plowing snow a year ago with my GMC with a 350 V8.
Had flowmaster duals on it, customer called and complained cause the truck woke their dog up at three in the morning. That truck would rattle the toilet water inside the house when I hit the gas. But never had anyone say a thing as far as the landscape thing goes. It is during the day and alot of people arent home

That was really funny.:)
Mike

FearThisDeere
02-03-2007, 10:55 PM
I guess it is up to personal preference. I would not even consider not hiring someone because of a loud truck, I think that is just crazy. I would also not consider to hiring someone because of a small quiet truck. I say the louder the better. Wait until I put a Bullet on my V10... it won't be like a diesel, but it'll be loud.

Lawnworks
02-03-2007, 11:57 PM
I bet that truck sounds sweet! I had a personal truck the coveted '98 12v w/ twins and stack coming out of the hood... I didn't work in it... but now all my diesels have stock exhaust... mainly b/c I have had enough of hearing any exhaust!! I am sure I lost some brain cells breathing in that eye stinging raw diesel smoke!

I don't think it will affect your business... unless you are just romping it everywhere. If you are worried it is too loud giving estimates and find yourself babying it... I would change it. Worth the peace of mind to just have it factory. But if you are working for contractors mostly... it probably wouldn't be a factor. You could just compromise and put a muffler on it.

J&R Landscaping
02-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I don't think running a pair of stacks on a diesel would be un-proffessional. A waste of money for a work truck, yes but not unproffessional.
I love the way diesels sound so I would tweak on a personal truck but I dont see a point on a work truck. I would only put a stack on an International or larger truck like that! JMO

corey4671
02-04-2007, 12:11 AM
I actually have a customer who keeps her two small grandchildren during the summer while the parents are at work. She lives on top of this huge hill> she tells me that she hears me pull off of the highway and start up that hill on the days I am mowing her yard and that tells her to get the kids inthe house and pick the toys nad garden hoses up out of the yard. My truck isn't AS loud as some I've had, but when you really get on it and it has a load behind it it can rattle some windows. My wife SWEARS she can hear my a half a mile away when I pull out on the highway to go to work and when I drop off the highway in the afternoons on my way home. I've had everything from a 305 with straights to a 350 with busted 18" glasspacks to my current 5.3L V8 with 30" packs.

lawnmaniac883
02-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Straightpipe is un neccessary but I think a nice muffler replacement like an MBRP or something high flow but not too loud is good. Dont need to make it rattle the windows or anything like that.

AintNoFun
02-04-2007, 01:50 PM
i think loud diesel exhaust doesn't sound unprofessional.. i think flowmasters and other systems for gas motors sounds like garbage... we have straight pipes from our f250 diesels to my peterbilt....

muddstopper
02-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I dont like, cant stand it and wont put up with it, dont come to my house with loud exhaust. There is no need for anybody to pollute the air with unnecessary racket and noise. Maybe you like to hear the sound of your exhaust, but I can bet almost nobody else does. So, my vote is unprofessional, unethical and irresponsible.

stroker51
02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Straight pipe on 1996 7.3 PSD, obvious power gain felt, 1-2mpg increase, not that loud unless I just completely stand on it, and then the black cloud is so big, unprofessional is defineatly the word at that point. The diesels run so much better with a straight pipe, and when you drive normal all you really hear is the turbo anyway, at least on a PSD.

Let-it-mow!
02-04-2007, 11:26 PM
I'd probably be inclined to get rid of the punk with the noisy truck. If you're mowing mostly trailer parks, it might be acceptable. People with nicer homes, who pay nicer bills, will want to deal with businesses they feel comfortable with. In lots of peoples minds, loud pipes = trailer parks = lynard skynard = fire arms and alcohol = mullets = dead cars on the front lawn = bacon grease, wieners, and pork rinds. I'm not saying any of that is bad. Just be sure that's the image you want to present to potential customers.

To me, loud pipes always sound like somebody loudly protesting any notion of having class. They scream: "I'm uneducated trash and the world can't make me change!"

corey4671
02-05-2007, 12:49 AM
In lots of peoples minds, loud pipes = trailer parks = lynard skynard = fire arms and alcohol = mullets = dead cars on the front lawn = bacon grease, wieners, and pork rinds.

And your point is.....:)

Dee Scott
02-05-2007, 01:31 AM
so tell me partner whats wrong with that? lol :usflag:

Dee Scott
02-05-2007, 01:48 AM
there is nothing worng with loud trucks. if the work is done right and looks good, who cares!! its just like saying, i don't want to hire that guy to work for me because he has a loud car. that is carzy!!!!!!

muddstopper- think if you use a gas power anything, u r pulluting the air. how is having a loud truck "irresponsible". TELL ME :hammerhead:

ScagBoy09
02-05-2007, 01:53 AM
I think in a way a loud exhaust could present a bad representation of your business. Besides, I dont really understand why trucks have to be loud in the first place. They are made to work, period.

NewImageLawn&Landscape
02-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Last time I checked I wasn't mowing your lawn with my truck. The equipment used on the job is louder and on for a longer period of time than my truck. I have never had a single complaint from any of my customers about my exhaust. I'm not cutting trailer parks either. Mostly higher end homes and businesses. I am running MBRP 4" with a DP tuner and other goodies. I could leave a black cloud every time I pulled away, but I don't.just my .02

ProMo
02-05-2007, 08:10 AM
no one has ever complained about my loud truck

02-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd probably be inclined to get rid of the punk with the noisy truck. If you're mowing mostly trailer parks, it might be acceptable. People with nicer homes, who pay nicer bills, will want to deal with businesses they feel comfortable with. In lots of peoples minds, loud pipes = trailer parks = lynard skynard = fire arms and alcohol = mullets = dead cars on the front lawn = bacon grease, wieners, and pork rinds. I'm not saying any of that is bad. Just be sure that's the image you want to present to potential customers.

To me, loud pipes always sound like somebody loudly protesting any notion of having class. They scream: "I'm uneducated trash and the world can't make me change!"

What the hell is wrong with Lynyrd Skynyrd?? Are you making fun of rednecks?? I am from the south, boy and I dont like the fact you associate the above to trailer parks, etc. I have a loud truck and I listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd and I sure a hell dont live or cut in a trailer park. The smallest home I take care of cost 250,000. I do higher end residential and commercial. Not one complaint yet.

Dee Scott
02-05-2007, 01:04 PM
What the hell is wrong with Lynyrd Skynyrd?? Are you making fun of rednecks?? I am from the south, boy and I dont like the fact you associate the above to trailer parks, etc. I have a loud truck and I listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd and I sure a hell dont live or cut in a trailer park. The smallest home I take care of cost 250,000. I do higher end residential and commercial. Not one complaint yet.

i use trying to joke about it before, but now i am ticked off. i like lynyrd skynyred,i am a redneck, i don't live in a tailer park.:angry: :mad: :nono: :realmad:

Pepler's Lawncare
02-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I have an 2004HD with 40 series flowmasters on it...and it is loud when im towing my 17foot landscape trailer with equipment on it....i relize now that it is to loud for business....if i was a personal truck with no lettering on it...then its a go...." LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES " thats what the sticker says on my truck....too loud too old. But from a business stand point not very professional

stroker51
02-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I think there are a couple of different ideas as to the loud exhaust being referred to on this thread. The title is asking about DIESEL exhaust. Everybody talking about flowmaster set ups and all is most likeley talking about gassers, correct? I can see how a loud gasser can be equated to less than high class ideas. In my defense, I am a deer hunting, lynyrd skynyrd cranking, gun loving country boy. I have 2 gassers, my plow truck has dual 20-something inch glass packs, and yes it is loud. I only plow commercial, with the exception of like 3 driveways I do for friends, but no one has ever copmlained about the truck, it was also my mow truck most of last year. A lot of what we are talking about has a lot to do with demographics I would imagine. Where I work, we are between Kansas City and the wilds of Western Kansas, so loud trucks are no big deal. However, the question surrounding loud DIESEL exhaust, the cummins is gonna be loud no matter what you do until the '03's. The others all rattle and make noise, the only difference a pipe makes is a little louder turbo whine, better throttle response, better fuel economy, lower egt's, it makes sense to let a diesel breathe a little better. My 96 PSD has a straigt pipe, the 97 is soon to get one. I know for a fact my trucks are cleaner, better looking, and more reliable than those of probably half of the LCO's in my area. A clean, good/classy looking truck, especially a diesel, with modded exhaust, is not unprofessional, at least in my area.

02powerstroke
02-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Not good for business?? Most of my customers when I did landscaping before, loved my truck and loud exhaust. I actually sold a few jobs because my truck looks so nice and they liked the exhaust note. I guess it depends on your area.

Exactly how it seems to work for me.

Let-it-mow!
02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
For the record - of the following list:

loud pipes
trailer parks
lynard skynard
fire arms and alcohol
mullets
dead cars on the front lawn
bacon grease, wieners, and pork rinds

I am either fond of, have owned, worn, eaten, or lived in more than half. I'm not making fun of rednecks. I don't consider myself a redneck but I am proud to be a farm raised country kid. Some of my city friends probably do consider me a redneck.

I told you how I think loud pipes are perceived. If you like the above list, keep them loud.

I personally don't like loud.

02powerstroke
02-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I think there are a couple of different ideas as to the loud exhaust being referred to on this thread. The title is asking about DIESEL exhaust. Everybody talking about flowmaster set ups and all is most likeley talking about gassers, correct? I can see how a loud gasser can be equated to less than high class ideas. In my defense, I am a deer hunting, lynyrd skynyrd cranking, gun loving country boy. I have 2 gassers, my plow truck has dual 20-something inch glass packs, and yes it is loud. I only plow commercial, with the exception of like 3 driveways I do for friends, but no one has ever copmlained about the truck, it was also my mow truck most of last year. A lot of what we are talking about has a lot to do with demographics I would imagine. Where I work, we are between Kansas City and the wilds of Western Kansas, so loud trucks are no big deal. However, the question surrounding loud DIESEL exhaust, the cummins is gonna be loud no matter what you do until the '03's. The others all rattle and make noise, the only difference a pipe makes is a little louder turbo whine, better throttle response, better fuel economy, lower egt's, it makes sense to let a diesel breathe a little better. My 96 PSD has a straigt pipe, the 97 is soon to get one. I know for a fact my trucks are cleaner, better looking, and more reliable than those of probably half of the LCO's in my area. A clean, good/classy looking truck, especially a diesel, with modded exhaust, is not unprofessional, at least in my area.

I agree HUGE DIFFRENCE in diesel and gas exhaust. And I did it for the two reasons mentioned above lower EGT's and fuel economey.:gunsfirin

TGM
02-07-2007, 09:18 PM
well, i didn't mean to cause so much controversy.

i love diesel performance, live it, breathe it. it's just wrong (and so right) that an 8000lb truck can whoop up on mustangs and vettes with enough mods (money).

yes, a truck is for work, but a clean truck is used to go out to dinner nowadays...at least mine is. it sounds awesome rowing through the gears with the turbo whining.

moreorless i put this post in cause i saw a 3rd gen cummins on ebay with straight piped stacks that was a mower/landscaper and he said that he got a lot of compliments on the exhaust. (and i've seen a couple on this site and other sites that were straight piped). now obviously this depends on the customer.

now if my truck were a mid to full sized dump truck with a straight exhaust, 95% of people/customers wouldn't know the difference.

something the ponder.
i dunno.:hammerhead:

Eclipse
02-07-2007, 10:25 PM
In this industry image means a great deal, more than it should IMO. At least this is certainly true in my area, your's may be different. A loud exhaust or stacks would not present the kind of quality image that one would want to project.

muddstopper
02-07-2007, 10:49 PM
there is nothing worng with loud trucks. if the work is done right and looks good, who cares!! its just like saying, i don't want to hire that guy to work for me because he has a loud car. that is carzy!!!!!!

muddstopper- think if you use a gas power anything, u r pulluting the air. how is having a loud truck "irresponsible". TELL ME :hammerhead:

Well I'll just tell you. My post said pollute the air with unneeded racket meaning noise pollution. Removing the mufflers from a truck is unneccesary and does pollute the air with more noise than a truck that has its mufflers in place.

Irresponsible because anyone that subject others to potential hearing damage cant be called anything other than irresponsible. You can go deaf if you want to, just dont expect me to sacrifice my hearing because you like the "Sound" of your exhaust

And its my company and I wont hire anybody that drives up to my work site in a vehicle that has had the mufflers removed, it doesnt matter to me if that person thinks their loud vehicle sounds cool. I dont like their cool sounds and I aint going to listen to it. I equate it to setting at a red light when the bozo drive up beside me with their radio blasting at full volume. It aint cool, it just shows a total lack of respect for others that have to inhabit this earth with that bozo.

Do you need any more explainations?

lubricity
02-09-2007, 06:01 AM
I could see us losing 50% of our plwing jobs by using loud trucks. You can hear my motorcycle a 1/2 mile away. But that isn't a work vehicle. Even the mower mufflers get replaced as soon as they start to go bad. If you have one mower, one truck and a weed whacker. Do what you want. But when you have a couple hundred customers, you treat it as a business. You would NOT even be asking this question. This is HILARIOUS!

TWUllc
02-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I could see us losing 50% of our plwing jobs by using loud trucks. You can hear my motorcycle a 1/2 mile away. But that isn't a work vehicle. Even the mower mufflers get replaced as soon as they start to go bad. If you have one mower, one truck and a weed whacker. Do what you want. But when you have a couple hundred customers, you treat it as a business. You would NOT even be asking this question. This is HILARIOUS!

Nicely said. Made me laugh. :laugh:

Mike33
02-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I posted earlier but had another thought. In the early years of business my plow truck was an old 75 ford 250 and was loud because of cracked exhaust manifold. I had no better couldn't do better at the time. I was plowing a church next to a day care where my girl friend worked. She told me that evening her boss said i wish that guy plowing next door wouldn't make so much noise in that old truck. I was so embarrassed over that, now i have a choice and unnecessary noise will not happen with my business. My point is i could not help that problem that day, but today it does not happen.
Mike

POPO4995
02-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I have a 6.0 Powerstroke w/ a MBRP 4" Turbo Back straight pipe exhaust and 6" Tip. It's only loud when you punch it really, otherwise its just alot of turbo and air flow noise at idle. IMO, diesel engines have their own sound and no matter what exhaust you have, aftermarket or factory, they still are going to be louder than gas models.....Me personally, dont see anything wrong with truck exhaust mods. A 5.9 Cummins straight piped sounds great! :usflag:

Lawnworks
02-09-2007, 07:53 PM

I totally agree. I just couldn't see myself pulling up to a 50k landscape job in a diesel hotrod. I used to be all about cool exhaust... I guess I sold out... because now I am all about the money!

Palmer'sLS
02-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I totally agree. I just couldn't see myself pulling up to a 50k landscape job in a diesel hotrod. I used to be all about cool exhaust... I guess I sold out... because now I am all about the money!

off topic, but this is kinda my idea with the loud booming stereos, cool for a while, then its just wasted $$$

Snyderserv5060
02-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Personally, for my F350 with a 7.3 PSD I will be going with a 4" MBRP turbo back (with a muffler). Probably this spring along with a DP tuner multiple position chip. Now why I want an exhaust is simple, NOT for the noise or much for the sound. It will add a bit more towing power and response and most importantly will lower EGT's (in the long run prolong my engine life). From all the sound clips ive listened to and people that have this exhaust on their diesel its said to be barely louder at all unless your really getting on it. I can say for sure my truck wont be driven hard when towing and in local neighborhoods.

Id agree a loud a** truck would be annoying to many and im sure could discourage clients. For the right reasons a reasonable exhaust would offer positive benefits and I doubt take away jobs/clients.

Not a diesel but back when I started I had an older toyota pickup. Over the course of the season and with all the towing the muffler formed a big leak. It was VERY loud and I had no intentions of replacing it since I was getting new truck...I never had a complaint but I cant say id do this intentionally

02powerstroke
02-09-2007, 11:48 PM
off topic, but this is kinda my idea with the loud booming stereos, cool for a while, then its just wasted $$$
Except booming stereos dont lower EGT gain you HP and gain you MPG. Just my 2 cents.

Eclipse
02-09-2007, 11:55 PM
dont lower EGT gain you HP and gain you MPG. Just my 2 cents.

...and for the most part neither does an exhaust system, at least on a Cummins near stock horsepower. I know this will open up a can of worms with the Cummins fans but I have owned way to many of these (Dodge Cummins) trucks to know that an exhaust system doesn't make much of a difference at or near stock HP.

02powerstroke
02-09-2007, 11:59 PM
...and for the most part neither does an exhaust system, at least on a Cummins near stock horsepower. I know this will open up a can of worms with the Cummins fans but I have owned way to many of these (Dodge Cummins) trucks to know that an exhaust system doesn't make much of a difference at or near stock HP.

I dont know about HP cause I dont have a dyno at my shop but I know for a fact when towing it kicked down my EGTs 200 degrees and I picked up about 3MPG.

Snyderserv5060
02-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Again, like I said before im doing it for the lower EGTs and the free flow... hopefully I gain a few MPG.

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 12:38 AM
I dont know about HP cause I dont have a dyno at my shop but I know for a fact when towing it kicked down my EGTs 200 degrees and I picked up about 3MPG.

lol... you are kidding right? I think you are full of crap on the mpg... unless your stock muffler and cat were defective.

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 12:40 AM

Yeah I agree... I have always thought that exhaust was pretty much a waste of money performance wise. It doesn't really help it breath until you are up in the 400 rwhp range.

02powerstroke
02-10-2007, 09:33 AM
lol... you are kidding right? I think you are full of crap on the mpg... unless your stock muffler and cat were defective.

Your right I made it up cause I was bored.

ProMo
02-10-2007, 09:44 AM
I gained 2 mpg when my muffler fell off and I did not lose any customers

Snyderserv5060
02-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Theres no need to start a huge fight over this... I would however like to know how many of you that keep saying its useless actually have a diesel truck? If your comparing your gassers response to a turbo diesel's resonse with an exhaust and posting your opinions based on that you have no idea what your talking about, its a completely different world.

The latest DieselPower Mag tested out a carback and a turbo back on an 03 Duramax:

Stock: 257.01 hp 425.82 tq
Catback: 264.61 hp 443.50 tq
Turboback: 270.54 hp 452.36 tq

The dyno numbers arent going to lie and the improvements over stock around 2500 RPM's jumped from 280 tq to 389 tq. And, again, as the writeup says a few times "high egts generally pose the greatest threat to a diesels longevity."

Personally im going to install a free flow intake (with progaurd filter), 4" turbo back and a DPtuner chip in my truck. This will allow me to use the tow setting when I tow and economy settings when I drive around just to drive or go on vacation. Some of you may feel this is pointless but hey thats your opinion... 02powerstroke when I get my exhaust on I will be closely monitering my MPG and i'll let you know, really hope it does increase :)

Snyderserv5060
02-10-2007, 02:34 PM
...forgot to say while at stock the numbers may not be astronomical gains im willing to bet with other mods and a chip they would be great and id say it would be essential to have an exhaust.

NewImageLawn&Landscape
02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
...forgot to say while at stock the numbers may not be astronomical gains im willing to bet with other mods and a chip they would be great and id say it would be essential to have an exhaust.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. You pretty much have to have an aftermarket exhaust system for the chips/tuners to perform as they were programmed. When I ordered my chip, I talked to Jodi from DP tuners and that was the first question he asked me. Make sure you run a full set of gauges too. If you are going to buy it all at once, ITPdiesel.com has some good package deals .

Snyderserv5060
02-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks! Yes, I forgot to mention but it is pretty much a must to have gauges with a diesel truck ESPECIALLY those that tow or have mods. Boost, EGT, Trans temp, (at the least on a PSD) they can easily save your truck.

cutbetterthanyou
02-10-2007, 04:35 PM
The gauges are a must. I have 4 inch down pipe 5 inch straight on a p stroke with a adjustable bully dog chip. Even w/ it turned down to 50hp if i pass a car on a country road i have to let out of it in fear of melting the blades in the turbo. If you don't know much about diesels I encourage you to research it it can save you alot of $ in the long run and if you put gauges in put it before the turbo and don't let it get higher than 1260 degrees

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 04:36 PM
The gauges are a must. I have 4 inch down pipe 5 inch straight on a p stroke with a adjustable bully dog chip. Even w/ it turned down to 50hp if i pass a car on a country road i have to let out of it in fear of melting the blades in the turbo. If you don't know much about diesels I encourage you to research it it can save you alot of $ in the long run and if you put gauges in put it before the turbo and don't let it get higher than 1260 degrees

I have always thought gauges were a waste unless you have over 400rwhp or haul heavy loads.

When I had my hotrod cummins(700rwhp) and I would hit 1500-1900 degrees while racing w/ no damage... you just don't want to maintain a high temp for an extended period that is when it melts.

Snyderserv5060
02-10-2007, 06:12 PM
From all of what ive seen 1250 is the point where you dont want to cross with a diesel. Stock or modded you WANT to moniter whats going on in your engine especially those who tow... I cants speak for the cummins like I can the PSD but honestly if your running that hot I dont see how it sayed alive. :confused: I know in my turbo eclipse if I cross 1550 then things are going to melt and major internal damage will result.

So in regard to the exhaust argument in some ways it can be looked at as preventative and additional safety over just performance, yet while still adding performance.

No, gauges are not a waste...feel free to read up on some diesel forums like dieselstop.com (for the PSD)

Eclipse
02-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I have always thought gauges were a waste unless you have over 400rwhp or haul heavy loads.

For the most part I agree with this as well except I would lower the HP number a bit (depending on the overall setup of the truck, ie. a set of street twins on a 400HP truck would almost never reach dangerous EGT's). Also waste is a bit of a harsh word to use because at times the can be beneficial to help diagnosis problems with the truck.

Keep in mind Lawnworks and I are talking about a Cummins. I have owned more than my share of them and the lastest one I am "playing" with I have not put gauges on yet and I am in no hurry either.

They are probably a good idea for the first time owner who is not familiar with these trucks, how they perform, and how they react to modificaitons, but unless you improperly setup the truck or are driving like an idiot (like not selecting the right gear while driving) for a low ot moderate HP truck that is primarily a DD they are not an absolute necessity IMHO.

Eclipse
02-10-2007, 06:26 PM
I cants speak for the cummins like I can the PSD but honestly if your running that hot I dont see how it sayed alive. :confused:

You would be surpised how many 1/4 miles runs and sled pulls guys can put on the truck and bury the 1600 degree gauge and the engine is still holding together fine :) (once again talking about a Cummins)

So your EGT's are 1600's but it takes a little bit for the various parts and metals to reach this temp so that is why they can take short burts of 1600+. To try and hold 1300+ for any length of time while blasting up a grade with your trailer in tow, now that is asking for some problems.

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 06:35 PM
From all of what ive seen 1250 is the point where you dont want to cross with a diesel. Stock or modded you WANT to moniter whats going on in your engine especially those who tow... I cants speak for the cummins like I can the PSD but honestly if your running that hot I dont see how it sayed alive. :confused: I know in my turbo eclipse if I cross 1550 then things are going to melt and major internal damage will result.

So in regard to the exhaust argument in some ways it can be looked at as preventative and additional safety over just performance, yet while still adding performance.

No, gauges are not a waste...feel free to read up on some diesel forums like dieselstop.com (for the PSD)

Nope nope, I am not misinformed. I built a performance cummins from the block up. If you are staying under 400hp and not towing, they are a waste of money.

Snyderserv5060
02-10-2007, 07:03 PM
To try and hold 1300+ for any length of time while blasting up a grade with your trailer in tow, now that is asking for some problems.

I completely agree, we're talking towing trucks here (hence lawnsite.com were all pulling around mowers, materials and commerical equipt)... im not talking about 1/4 or sled pulls as im SURE they reach higher egts. But if your towing and have egts that stay high for a prolonged time period im sure your going to have problems sooner or later.

As far as gauges, to each their own I guess... I dont see how a few reasonably inexpensive gauges can be a waste when they could save a few thousand dollar engine or far more if its built/a newer truck. If your opinion is not to use them, enjoy thats your deal...In my opinion its stupid not to tho if nothing more then for the safety aspects to know before it blows or melts a piston. Or hell even you unintentionally overheat the trans :nono:

Do what you please with your truck, I think we've gotten off topic here seeing this post was about exhausts

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah your probably right... better safe than sorry. I have been meaning to get some more injectors for my cab and chassis dodge to give it a little more umph when pulling... won't be spending $300-$500 on gauges though... not for small modifications.

Eclipse
02-10-2007, 11:01 PM
I dont see how a few reasonably inexpensive gauges can be a waste when they could save a few thousand dollar engine or far more if its built/a newer truck.

I think what the point was is that a lightly modified truck (Cummins again) towing a moderate load (like a lawn trailer, FWIW mine is 8,000 loaded) is not going to have an EGT problem if it is driven sensibly. I do have gauges in my one truck (it is 385 RWHP) and towing my trailer I do not have any issues with EGT's what so ever.

I agree gauges are cheap insurance and a nice thing to have, but as I said an absolute necessity they are not. JMHO

I guess we sould get back on topic :)

tnmtn
02-10-2007, 11:58 PM
i have an '03 duramax. wanted a little bit more power. i have added a AFE cold air intake, MBRP exhaust and usually run a superchips tune on level 1 (tow/safe). also have a pillar mounted boost gauge and pyro gauge. the truck is a little louder than stock however it isn't obnoxious. most people don't know it is a straight pipe untill they are told. when running light it is hardly louder. i also like getting the hot gases away from the block as easy as possible. when towing heavy you can tell the exhaust has been modded. i try not to be rude with it and run at very conservative speeds in neighborhoods. have not had any complaints yet. did have a kid at a stoplight that thought i wanted to hear his music. revved his engine a couple times to be sure i noticed him. he really should have kept his window rolled up. black smoke can be a great thing at the proper time.
have fun

Snyderserv5060
02-11-2007, 04:09 AM
lol...got to love diesel smoke just be careful a cop doesnt see you and give you a ticket for pollution :nono:
An exhaust, driven right/respectively I dont see it being a problem. Doubt most people would even know its on the truck.

Dallas Turf
02-11-2007, 04:46 AM
As far as parts this guy is near me and always had good deals on diesel performance, and has a good inventory of parts.

www.cyclonediesel.com

FWIW I have always had 4" straight pipe on my powerstrokes 6.0 & 7.3 and never had a complaint.

It is going on my 2006 cummings next week!

Eclipse
02-11-2007, 09:45 AM
It is going on my 2006 cummings next week!

It's Cummins, no "g".

Dallas Turf
02-11-2007, 10:27 AM
It's Cummins, no "g".

Sorry, it was past my bed time.

TGM
02-11-2007, 11:11 AM
i don't NEED a diesel. i WANTED a diesel, and wouldn't drive anything else.:cool2:

gauges are necessary imho, but usually not in stock form. however, a cummins 24v and a modded common rail needs a fuel pressure gauge 'cause the darn lift pumps from the factory fail too fast. some guys are reaching 1400* towing with just an ez on hot days so a pyro is necessary.

i'm only running an edge comp for now with some other mods.
up next: southbend ofe
then II 180hp injectors, then turbo, then headwork,then hot rod inj. pump, then...http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/spend.gif

muddstopper
02-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I dont use my diesel truck to sled pull, its a work truck pure and simple. I know of a lot of people that add 4in and 5 in exhaust to their trucks all in the name of performance and fuel economy, most cases, its all bull. If you are just adding larger pipes without modifiying the size of the exhaust port where it come out of the turbo, your just wasting your money. Physics dictates that you can only flow a certain amount of air thru a given size diameter of pipe. If your trubo exhaust port is three inches and you adapth to 4 inch pipe, you can still only flow 3 in. of air . If the exhaust port is 4 inches and you adapth to 5in pipes, you can still only flow 4in of air. Your flow is going to be limited to the smallest restriction of your exhaust system. On the other hand, if your turbo exhaust port is 4inches and you are currently running 3 in exhaust pipe, you will see and increase of air flow and lower EGT, and maybe a slight fuel milage increase, if you add larger exhaust pipe. On most stock trucks you will see that your restriction is usually at the muffler or cat converter and changing these out to a larger size will provide limited benefit, but going larger than is needed is just a waste of money and just contributes to noise pollution. Flow is also restricted by the bends in the pipe and the lenght the exhaust has to travel before exiting the pipe. For this reason a slightly larger pipe could also provide a limited amount of free flow exhaust, but putting a 5in exhaust system on a truck that has a 3in diameter turbo exhaust port is mostly just a feel good modification that most trucks dont need. By hey, its your money, waste it if you want to.

TGM
02-11-2007, 06:06 PM
yup, $400 for a 5" system with 4" downpipe, a waste of my money.:rolleyes:
and no..it's not a cheap flopro system. ..plus i plan on doing twins in the future after a bigger single which will probably require a custom 5" downpipe.

in my opinion, 4" looks too small...5" pipe looks cool sticking out of the side of the truck. ...just like bigger tires/rims look good to other people, etc.

different strokes for different folks.

Lawnworks
02-11-2007, 06:21 PM
yup, $400 for a 5" system with 4" downpipe, a waste of my money.:rolleyes:
and no..it's not a cheap flopro system. ..plus i plan on doing twins in the future after a bigger single which will probably require a custom 5" downpipe.

in my opinion, 4" looks too small...5" pipe looks cool sticking out of the side of the truck. ...just like bigger tires/rims look good to other people, etc.

different strokes for different folks.

Well you would get the same results w/ a 5" tip.

GG386
02-11-2007, 09:52 PM
my 07 Pstroke is outfitted with a 4' downpipe and 4' 304 stainless exhaust into 5' tips. (high flow muffler included). At idle there is NO differnece in sound other than a slight whistle, I'm assuming turbo spool.

On cold start, she'll huff some blue smoke till it gets some heat in the pipes, than it virtually smoke free after the fact.

Under acceleration, the slight rumble that exits from the pipes, isn't even close to being obnoxious, almost imperceivable in the cab, (unless you have the glass down).

One thing I will say though, the fuel mileage isn't the best- but it really has been colder than a witches *** here, which knocks the hell out of fuel mileage, plus the truck has less than 3,ooo miles on it.

To chip or not to chip- any direction on this one? My wrench says no, possible warranty issue, but what the hey!

F350 4X4crew w/8'bed

Snyderserv5060
02-11-2007, 10:06 PM
The dealer WILL look if the truck is chipped and VOID the warrenty. Its such common practice with diesels they know what to look for. If you do chip it youd want to take it out when your getting the truck worked on. Also make sure you break the motor in before you mod it, id say a few thousand more miles and your clear.

Hell, I didnt even know my truck had a bullydog chip in it as it was set on stock from the previous owner...the dealer who sold it and warrentied it didnt know either. When I took it in for work they found it and tried to void my extended warrenty. I immediately informed them the truck was bought AS IT WAS when I left it with them so in the case there is a "chip in it" its on the dealer who sold it and or the warrenty company for not looking into it closer. Then they reflashed my PCM and scrambled it but oh well im going with a better one soon enough just as long as my warrenty stays good for another year or so.

Mike33
02-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I cant believe how far this thread went.
Mike

cutbetterthanyou
02-11-2007, 10:47 PM
I dont use my diesel truck to sled pull, its a work truck pure and simple. I know of a lot of people that add 4in and 5 in exhaust to their trucks all in the name of performance and fuel economy, most cases, its all bull. If you are just adding larger pipes without modifiying the size of the exhaust port where it come out of the turbo, your just wasting your money. Physics dictates that you can only flow a certain amount of air thru a given size diameter of pipe. If your trubo exhaust port is three inches and you adapth to 4 inch pipe, you can still only flow 3 in. of air . If the exhaust port is 4 inches and you adapth to 5in pipes, you can still only flow 4in of air. Your flow is going to be limited to the smallest restriction of your exhaust system. On the other hand, if your turbo exhaust port is 4inches and you are currently running 3 in exhaust pipe, you will see and increase of air flow and lower EGT, and maybe a slight fuel milage increase, if you add larger exhaust pipe. On most stock trucks you will see that your restriction is usually at the muffler or cat converter and changing these out to a larger size will provide limited benefit, but going larger than is needed is just a waste of money and just contributes to noise pollution. Flow is also restricted by the bends in the pipe and the lenght the exhaust has to travel before exiting the pipe. For this reason a slightly larger pipe could also provide a limited amount of free flow exhaust, but putting a 5in exhaust system on a truck that has a 3in diameter turbo exhaust port is mostly just a feel good modification that most trucks dont need. By hey, its your money, waste it if you want to.

I am not tiring to be ignorant when i say this but Physics can tell you what ever it doesn't matter much to me . I know for a fact from experience that when you have a chip and put exhaust on the exhaust does give you performance. it maynot be in horsepower so much but it will lower you egt. My truck had the bully dog,and gages put on at the same time.the egts were high so i ran the stock pipe cut off before the muffer (just down pipe and about 2-3 feet of stock pipe)I got tired off the high egts and noise right under the seat so i got the 4 inch downpipe and 5 inch straight and my egts went down 200-300- degres across the board

Lawnworks
02-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I am not tiring to be ignorant when i say this but Physics can tell you what ever it doesn't matter much to me . I know for a fact from experience that when you have a chip and put exhaust on the exhaust does give you performance. it maynot be in horsepower so much but it will lower you egt. My truck had the bully dog,and gages put on at the same time.the egts were high so i ran the stock pipe cut off before the muffer (just down pipe and about 2-3 feet of stock pipe)I got tired off the high egts and noise right under the seat so i got the 4 inch downpipe and 5 inch straight and my egts went down 200-300- degres across the board

I think you would have the same effect just cutting out the muffler and cat.

muddstopper
02-12-2007, 06:12 PM

You already know why your EGT went down, You used larger pipe and eliminated the restrictions. Did you by chance check and see just how large the exhaust port is coming from the turbo, probably bigger than the stock exhaust pipe. It stands to reason that if you increase horsepower, you are going to create more heat. I dont doubt that you increased your hp or lowered your EGT, but the whole point of this thread was loud trucks. You said it yourself, you couldnt stand the noise when it was right at your feet, so you just piped it out the back where you dont hear it. Bet the person in the vehicle behind you hears it.

TGM
02-12-2007, 06:55 PM
my 07 Pstroke is outfitted with a 4' downpipe and 4' 304 stainless exhaust into 5' tips. (high flow muffler included). At idle there is NO differnece in sound other than a slight whistle, I'm assuming turbo spool.

On cold start, she'll huff some blue smoke till it gets some heat in the pipes, than it virtually smoke free after the fact.

Under acceleration, the slight rumble that exits from the pipes, isn't even close to being obnoxious, almost imperceivable in the cab, (unless you have the glass down).

One thing I will say though, the fuel mileage isn't the best- but it really has been colder than a witches *** here, which knocks the hell out of fuel mileage, plus the truck has less than 3,ooo miles on it.

To chip or not to chip- any direction on this one? My wrench says no, possible warranty issue, but what the hey!

F350 4X4crew w/8'bed

my dad has the mbrp on his 6.0. it's quiet, but sounds nice. the variable vein turbo really keep the noise down at idle (a 6.0 straight piped at idle is quiet). twin turbos are also very quiet.

during the winter, fuel mileage usually goes down a couple due to the winter blend with anti-gel additives. as for the chip, a custom tuned sct tuner seems the be king because it's custom programmed to your driving (smoke, transmission, hp, etc.)...can you say 14s?

well, i did wind up putting the high-flow muffler back on... i figure if i'm going to be towing the noise would bother me, and the fact that i don't want to take the chance upsetting potential customers. i LOVE the sound of a straight piped cummins:cool2: but it is nice to have quiet every now and then.

as for the diameter of an aftermarket exhaust, 4inch really isn't better than 3 if you're planning to stay at stock power. while the turbo exhaust housing and/or elbow has a restriction, there is hot expanding gas leaving the turbo. i would assume that a 4" downpipe would help, but i've also seen many of the 7.3 guys complain about their torque curve getting moved up a couple hundred rpms when doing so. ALSO, some people complain of worse spool up with a 5" exhaust since you have to push more air out of the exhaust. i dunno.