PDA

View Full Version : IN need of Info

Mikol
02-03-2007, 04:19 PM
I have a Scag 36 walk behind with a Kohler on it.today I went to start my mower and noticed it would not start.I checked the fuel and It was empty.I swor that it had fuel in it.so I loaded up on the trailer and went to fuel up at the gas station and also checked the oil it was not showing on the dip stick so I got out the oil and noticed that the dip stick had fuel on it so I wipe it clean and smelled of fuel.so I went to my first yard of the day and pulled it off the trailer and noticed it was leaking feul from the carb.so I took off the carb. cover and it was full with fuel.I checked the oil again and it had fuel in it.can any one maybe tell what this is.the mower is only a couple of months old.it does not have maybe 2.5 hours on it since I got it in Nov.06.sorry so long

lwcmattlifter
02-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Take it back to the dealer. Sounds like you have a stuck float and fuel is leaking down to the cylinder or through the crankcase breather and contaminating the oil. Don't run it just take it in.

thecrankshaft
02-08-2007, 03:22 PM
The carburetor needs to be rebuilt. Either there is fuel varnish or debris in the carburetor, and it is likely not going to be warranty.

ed2hess
02-08-2007, 05:33 PM
How does the fuel get past the rings......or is that the way the fuel from the leaky carb gets into the crankcase?

Restrorob
02-08-2007, 06:12 PM
How does the fuel get past the rings......or is that the way the fuel from the leaky carb gets into the crankcase?

The fuel seeps past the inside of the rings in the piston ring lance area and the ring end gap areas. Some ring end gaps for compression rings are anywhere from .012 to .015" or more depending upon hrs. and oil rings anywhere from .018 to .020" or more.

That's plenty of room for liquid as thin as fuel to travel and enter the crankcase.