PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 04 Silverado with 6L

corey4671
02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey guys. I have been looking to trade trucks recently. I have a 00 GMC Sierra Z71 that I bought brand new. It has about 93k miles on it I have found an 04 Silverado 2500HD with 73K miles with the 6.0L V8. Want some feedback from some of you guys out there that have one of these trucks with that motor. NOt sure of the rear end ratio but I would assume it is most likely a 3.73 POSSIBLY a 4.10. Dealer is asking 17995 for the truck. Book is over 19k for it. Let's here your coments here. See it here http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=215565438&photoIndex=0

cutbetterthanyou
02-04-2007, 12:03 AM
i dont have one but my only advise is dont trust just kelly blue book. search around to see what other trucks like this are going for. kelly blue book said trade on my truck was 17500 and private party 20000 retail 22500 it has been for sale for 20000 obo since july. a guy is finally going to buy it next weekend for 16500 it sucks to sell it that cheap but i have bills(i foolishly bought a 06 crew cab duramax before i sold my old truck) i think nothing is selling because of winter ,christmas,and tax time. so just seach around and make sure you find the best deal good luck

corey4671
02-04-2007, 12:08 AM
i dont have one but my only advise is dont trust just kelly blue book. search around to see what other trucks like this are going for. kelly blue book said trade on my truck was 17500 and private party 20000 retail 22500 it has been for sale for 20000 obo since july. a guy is finally going to buy it next weekend for 16500 it sucks to sell it that cheap but i have bills(i foolishly bought a 06 crew cab duramax before i sold my old truck) i think nothing is selling because of winter ,christmas,and tax time. so just seach around and make sure you find the best deal good luck

hey thanks. I actually researched it on autotrader searching within a 200 mile radius and they are pretty well on with the price for the miles and the year, maybe a touch on the low side. It is a one owner lease turn in per carfax and was traded in by an individual about 70 miles friom me so I know it wasn't up north in salt. I am going to scope it out tomorrow afternoon after church and possibly drive it Monday afternoon.

vadeere
02-04-2007, 02:28 AM
That truck has a 4.10 ratio. The 6.0 chevy is an ok motor. Descent power if you haven't owned a diesel, but like all gassers you pay for that power at the pump. it would make a good truck to pull a couple of mowers however I think you would be dissatisfied if you are pulling 8-10k on a regular basis. i had a 2004 2500hd but mine was not a good example of a quality vehicle unless you like your trucks sitting in a service bay on a weekly basis. I have since traded that truck for a 07 dmax. the truck is only worth what you or the next guy behind you is williing to pay for it. me personally that truck is worth 17ish. My '04 I traded was a regular cab LS 4x4 with 46k on it, dealer gave me 14k for it. The stealership is asking 21k for it. I dunno its up to you. If I was you I would look at the '07 classic, maybe find a good deal b/c that is an old bodystyle. It would have 100k warranty, good financing and you would know what you were getting. Beware of piston slap on those vortecs, mine had alittle when cold. most of my issues were electronisc related, but i traded the truck b/c i am positive the little f'er had a cracked head. Dealer replace waterpump but issues arose again. I pity the fool that buys my old one. Good luck w/ whatever you decide. i hope I did not scare you on the Chevys, they do build a quality vehicle. I had a bad one. Sorry for the rant

vadeere
02-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Oh yeah be prepared for 12mpg all the time, worse if loaded.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
02-04-2007, 05:10 AM
I have the 6.0 in mine with 4.10 gears and it is great. I have plowed 3 foot drifts, and over a foot of snow with out a problem. The engine has great power and have not once yet had it bogged out or anything. I get about 12 city and have gotten 17 on the highway. You should go check out the Chevy/Gmc forum over on plowsite. You can learn alot more about this truck there

zedosix
02-04-2007, 09:39 AM
My advice is if you like spending time at the pump then go for it. They are pigs on fuel if towing anything. I just spent 6 hours in one this weekend (not my truck) towing a 21' trailer with 3 sleds. He had to run it with the tow haul on all the time. It averaged 8mpg on the trip. This is the new 07 silverado which is supposed to be more effiecient than the older ones.

corey4671
02-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Oh yeah be prepared for 12mpg all the time, worse if loaded.

Thanks for the input guys. I have a been a GM guy for nearly 15 years. All I've ever owned. I just haven't had any experience with the 6.o and have n't heard any feedback good or bad to know what to expect. I can buy an 07 brand new that has a STICKER of 31k, but I am just kind of against paying brand new sticker price. I just doin't think it is worth it. THe only wya I might do it is later in the summer when the HDs get the NEW body style. Feel like if the dealer still has the truck there will be some big rebates on the truck. SAme dealer has an 06 crew cab with the 6.0 that has 27k miles but I have no idea what they're asking for it. Kbb lists the truck at around 27kish,,,,Gosh I just can't see shelling out that kinda money for a truck that I am looking to make money with. With this 04, I can probably trade for about 9k-10k. I paid 32k for my GMC when I bought it new and the trade value is about 9k. Lost 23k in 7 years. That's a 70% loss. Ever wonder where GM can up with the slogan LIKE A ROCK for their trucks? Drops like a rock.

mattfromNY
02-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I've had an '04 2500HD since October. Had 54000 miles when I got it, I've put 13000 on it so far. Got it for $15700 with a 8.5 Western Ultra Mount plow. I've used the hell out of it so far, and the only problems I've seen would be the fuel mileage sucks (I figure I'm getting 8-10 plowing), and it overheats constantly pulling hills with the plow on front. I've never had a truck heat up so much with a plow. As far as pulling power, I love it, but I'm coming from a '99 1500 with a 5.3, and theres a HUGE power difference. As far as having to run with the tow/haul button on, I havent had to use it pulling 7 face cord of firewood in my dump trailer up some pretty nasty hills. I've hauled 5 tons of gravel, but that was on flat ground. I've seen the service records on my truck since it was new, and no problems or major fixes. I did have to replace the rear wheel ABS sensors (as I did with my '99)- they were recalled on my '99, but not yet on the '04. Dealer told me to hold my receipt and if recall comes up on that vin range, I will be reimbursed.

corey4671
02-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I've had an '04 2500HD since October. Had 54000 miles when I got it, I've put 13000 on it so far. Got it for $15700 with a 8.5 Western Ultra Mount plow. I've used the hell out of it so far, and the only problems I've seen would be the fuel mileage sucks (I figure I'm getting 8-10 plowing), and it overheats constantly pulling hills with the plow on front. I've never had a truck heat up so much with a plow. As far as pulling power, I love it, but I'm coming from a '99 1500 with a 5.3, and theres a HUGE power difference. As far as having to run with the tow/haul button on, I havent had to use it pulling 7 face cord of firewood in my dump trailer up some pretty nasty hills. I've hauled 5 tons of gravel, but that was on flat ground. I've seen the service records on my truck since it was new, and no problems or major fixes. I did have to replace the rear wheel ABS sensors (as I did with my '99)- they were recalled on my '99, but not yet on the '04. Dealer told me to hold my receipt and if recall comes up on that vin range, I will be reimbursed.
Do you only see the overhaeting issues when plowing? What about towing? I too have the 5.3 V8 in my GMC and while it does OK, it could stand a little help now and then. I am used to getting 10mpg when towing the 18ft open trailer with mowers.

Raven386
02-04-2007, 10:20 AM
i have a 06 2500HD 6L , and like what has been said already.... be prepared to pay $$$$ for gas. 30 gallon tank. 10-13 without trailer / 8-10 with. i havent gotten to plow with it due to the 60 degree weather in December.but i have put 2 yards of topsoil in it, hauled around a trailer full of arborvities all with no problems. never sluggish or underpowered. i beat on it constantly and ive put 22000 in about 8 months. i am having a problem with my transmission, but that was from the day i got it home. it slips everyonce in a great while. itll happen once and then be fine for 2 months. but now im getting a high pitched noise and its doing it more often. but other than that. i love it, i still wish i would've gotten a D-Max. but thats next year hopefully. i got mine for $22,000 but its a W/T package. so with that ive lost power windows, etc. but, its a work truck. Good Luck.

vadeere
02-04-2007, 01:03 PM
17 mpg? mine might manage that if it was on rollback. Oh yeah, i had tranny issues as far as heat goes as well.

mattfromNY
02-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Yeah, the heating issues are only with the plow on. I've tried carrying it low, angling it, etc. but no better. Without the plow, I've never had any heating problems, not even when it was in the high 60's (October in NY, lucky to get that warm) And I was pulling continuous 10000# loads of gravel in my dump trailer for a driveway install. My 5.3 will get 12-14 MPG pretty regularly when I'm working, pulling a 6x10 trailer loaded w/ mowers.

corey4671
02-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah, the heating issues are only with the plow on. I've tried carrying it low, angling it, etc. but no better. Without the plow, I've never had any heating problems, not even when it was in the high 60's (October in NY, lucky to get that warm) And I was pulling continuous 10000# loads of gravel in my dump trailer for a driveway install. My 5.3 will get 12-14 MPG pretty regularly when I'm working, pulling a 6x10 trailer loaded w/ mowers.

So is the plow restricting the air flow to the radiator? I mean I am NEVER going to be using a plow. Don't get enough snow in southern middle TN. I have a plow for my Honda Rubicon. Really don't even get enough snow to justify that! When it snows here 1) nobody gets out anyway...1" shuts the state down. 2) IT si usually melted off of the paved surfaces by noon time.

02-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I can carry my plow any way I want, even going 60 down the freeway, and the temp gauge doesnt even budge. I have never once yet heated up the tranny either, even when plowing a ton of snow for 10-12 hours straight. There have been some TSB's out there about the overheating and needing a new heavy duty fan clutch. Dont let everyone say that the 6.0 sucks, because it doesn't. It is really no different than the good ale 5.7 350 V8.

mattfromNY
02-04-2007, 02:04 PM
The overheating is Definately due to the plow restricting air flow, I can plow all day long w/ no probs. But when I get out on the road and it heats up, I can pull over, pop the hood and w/in 1-2 minutes, the temp.'s back to normal. I will check out the other sites and look into the fan clutch. It does seem to make a difference whether the motor is really spinning or just lugging, it seems if I drop it down into a lower gear and run at a higher RPM, it doesnt get as hot as quick, like the fan is keeping enough air flowing. Sydenstricker, I would NEVER say the 6.0 sucks, I would like better fuel mileage, but thats all I would say I dont like about it. I, too can plow 12 hours straight with no problems, as long as I dont have to drive very far up hill at speed.

vadeere
02-04-2007, 04:27 PM
I can carry my plow any way I want, even going 60 down the freeway, and the temp gauge doesnt even budge. I have never once yet heated up the tranny either, even when plowing a ton of snow for 10-12 hours straight. There have been some TSB's out there about the overheating and needing a new heavy duty fan clutch. Dont let everyone say that the 6.0 sucks, because it doesn't. It is really no different than the good ale 5.7 350 V8.

i beg to differ on this point, having owned both i would not put the 364ci chevy in the same zip code as the 350ci mpi. The 6l isn't a bad motor but it isnt the be all end all of heavy duty truck power from my perspective.

mow & snow
02-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Corey4671 - I have a 6.0 and it works for me. It pulls my trailer for mowing and pushes snow no problem. I get 10.6 mpg but I only use it for work. If I have to drive far I use my other vehicle. I would recommend buying a new vehicle. Try to find a 2006 that is still on the lot. Go to a few dealers and tell them what you want to get for your truck and what you want to pay for their truck. Then wait, if they want to make a sale you will hear from them. The best time to buy is late December (end of the month and end of the year). Good Luck

02-04-2007, 05:57 PM
i beg to differ on this point, having owned both i would not put the 364ci chevy in the same zip code as the 350ci mpi. The 6l isn't a bad motor but it isnt the be all end all of heavy duty truck power from my perspective.

Well, not to cause some sort of bickering, but I have owned 3 350 V8's Two were from the 80's and one was in a 94 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4. I just got rid of that truck for the one I currently own. And I feel that the 6.0 has alot more stock power than a stock 350. I didnt say it was the best HD motor out there. Sure there is the 8.1 496 and the Duramax. I wanted to get a D-max, but I dont have duramax payment money. And I have not once yet had the motor over heat, ever. I have gone up steep grades, going 60 mph with half pallet of salt in the bed and my plow swingin on the front. Never even got close to 210. Nor did my trans temp gauge go up either, and both work fine. Just take a look over on plowsite and you may learn a thing or two about the 6.0, the TSB's out there, etc.

vadeere
02-05-2007, 12:44 AM
I didnt mean to come off as an ass. Sorry buddy. I was not overly impressed with the 6.0, it had great power and indeed you are correct power out of the box. The overheating issues I had were w/ the tranny, not the engine, the 4l80e i believe. The engine I could go balls to wall up a mountain grade loaded and it would not move at all, very good in this respect. All manufacters build some duds I got one. I may buy another 6l in the future. It is not the truck to to load to gcwr all day every day. I have 10k with that truck, it did not like it but it got it done and got it done safely. If I was in the market for a truck that would mow the majority of the time I would choose a 6l. I due believe it is the best gas powerplant in a 3/4t truck at the moment, that is my opinion. The issues I had were mostly with the truck not the motor. The 6l does a fine job of what it was built for. If I had to some the 6 liter it would be a good gas engine with good power that was a hair on the thristy side, but affordable on the purchase end. Again I didnt mean to sound like an ass, I hope you didnt take it that way. Back to Corey if that is truck you like at a price you feel comfortable with go for, dont look back and get that baby on the road to make yourself some money, good luck with whatever you decide.

B. L. Landscaping
02-05-2007, 12:44 AM
The 6L is a good solid motor that will pull I had an o4 that I traded in october because some of the hills I have to climb I was having trouble on with 16,000 lbs. behind me. but flat ground ok the d-max is way better on fuel and pulls right up the hill.

02-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I didnt mean to come off as an ass. Sorry buddy. I was not overly impressed with the 6.0, it had great power and indeed you are correct power out of the box. The overheating issues I had were w/ the tranny, not the engine, the 4l80e i believe. The engine I could go balls to wall up a mountain grade loaded and it would not move at all, very good in this respect. All manufacters build some duds I got one. I may buy another 6l in the future. It is not the truck to to load to gcwr all day every day. I have 10k with that truck, it did not like it but it got it done and got it done safely. If I was in the market for a truck that would mow the majority of the time I would choose a 6l. I due believe it is the best gas powerplant in a 3/4t truck at the moment, that is my opinion. The issues I had were mostly with the truck not the motor. The 6l does a fine job of what it was built for. If I had to some the 6 liter it would be a good gas engine with good power that was a hair on the thristy side, but affordable on the purchase end. Again I didnt mean to sound like an ass, I hope you didnt take it that way. Back to Corey if that is truck you like at a price you feel comfortable with go for, dont look back and get that baby on the road to make yourself some money, good luck with whatever you decide.

I didnt take it as such. The 6.0 when working is definatly a hog. I lucked out and got a good 6.0. I have that same trans, the 4L80E. It has all new trans cooling stuff on it and a bigger tranny cooler, that is probably why mine doesnt heat up. This truck is going to be used to pull my trailer, some other various things, and plow snow. When I get a new truck, I am going D-max all the way

Pepler's Lawncare
02-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey guys. I have been looking to trade trucks recently. I have a 00 GMC Sierra Z71 that I bought brand new. It has about 93k miles on it I have found an 04 Silverado 2500HD with 73K miles with the 6.0L V8. Want some feedback from some of you guys out there that have one of these trucks with that motor. NOt sure of the rear end ratio but I would assume it is most likely a 3.73 POSSIBLY a 4.10. Dealer is asking 17995 for the truck. Book is over 19k for it. Let's here your coments here. See it here http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=215565438&photoIndex=0

there a gas hog...mines got the 4.10 rear end....pulls great...but i never pass a gas station...om going back to my 5.3 z71...pulls just as good...you can notice the difference but way better on gas.

corey4671
02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
there a gas hog...mines got the 4.10 rear end....pulls great...but i never pass a gas station...om going back to my 5.3 z71...pulls just as good...you can notice the difference but way better on gas.

what are you pulling. I currently have a 00 GMC Z71 with the 5.3. I does ok but when you get some steep hills is when you really notice it. anybody got any suggestions for mods to the 5.3 for more umph?

vadeere
02-05-2007, 09:03 PM
I didnt take it as such. The 6.0 when working is definatly a hog. I lucked out and got a good 6.0. I have that same trans, the 4L80E. It has all new trans cooling stuff on it and a bigger tranny cooler, that is probably why mine doesnt heat up. This truck is going to be used to pull my trailer, some other various things, and plow snow. When I get a new truck, I am going D-max all the way

Good deal man. It was weird, one day the tranny just decided to run warm and did it ever since, dealer blamed my tires (b-stone dueler 245/75/16) on it and refused to check it out. One of the tranny hoses started to seep a little fluid (replaced it), that was the beginning of the end for me with that truck. Glad your truck gets it done, I would buy another one in a silverado or NPR. Btw when you get the duramax its one bad son of a *****, youll love it. Take care man.

justanotherlawnguy
02-05-2007, 10:40 PM
I have an 02 1500hd with the 6.0 and pull a enclosed trailer that weighs probably 4-5k loaded. the truck has 33" tires on it, and I get 8, maybe 9mpg at best with it. Luckily I only fill up once a week for part of the off season, every other week for the other part of the off season. By the time spring/summer rolls around, we are talking a fill up every 3 days or so..

Even driving around with just the truck, I think the most miles I have gotten on a tank of gas was like 260 miles, so 10mpg at best....

I am getting an Isuzu NPR this summer, cannot wait...

corey4671
02-10-2007, 02:04 PM
OK, so I went into work this morning to finish up a few loose ends from the week. All week long MY wife has been asking me if I was going to at least ry the truck out. I said NO because I figured the dealer would just tick me off trying to buy my truck at next to nothing. I sat this there morning at work thinking about it and decided to just go and see how the dealer would trade. That way I'd at least have it off my mind and could move on. I showed up right as they were opening and took the truck out for a ride and fell in love! NOt only that, dealer offered my 3k over what I even thought my truck was worth. I told him write it up. Traded for $7250 diff. Not bad I think. Thanks for all the opinions and comments here guys. It was well worth it. I know there was a lot negative comments here, but I found that most of the negative can from the guys up north who plow snow. I don't plow snow. Like I said, thanks everybody!

iowa
02-10-2007, 07:01 PM
You will be happy with it. I own a Duramax now, but I used to have a 6.0 with no problems but a water pump gasket.

mattfromNY
02-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Congrats!! Beautiful Truck!! Mine looked like that before I put all the dents and dings in it! LOL. Good luck with the new ride.

vadeere
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Good job buddy. Get er out there and making some green.

corey4671
02-12-2007, 08:10 PM
only problem I have run into on this deal is that I can't find the freakin title to the truck I traded in som now I gotta go through the whole lost title ordeal. I knew it was going to good!!