PDA

View Full Version : Mack

PGold
02-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I was curious what licenses I would have to obtain to drive this vehicle when it is unloaded. I only need to drive it on the road once from the pick-up location and it isn't being driven for my business. It is for personal use.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i113/PatrickGold/mack1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i113/PatrickGold/mack.jpg

tthomass
02-04-2007, 09:18 PM
cdl to be legal and that is going to take time to get...........where are you?

PGold
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I am from Biloxi, MS. I have to pick it up in St. Louis.

PGold
02-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Just by looking at those pictures, what would you guess that truck is worth? It is a 1984 with 186,000 miles.

twj721
02-04-2007, 09:40 PM
cdl with airbrake endorsement probably be cheaper and easier to get somebody to drive it for you but not nearly as much fun but it will be a rough ride for sure

Mike33
02-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Personel use, dont tell me you are going to Wal-mart with it. I think ou will need cdl for it. It defenitly apperas to be a commercial vechicle.
Mike

PGold
02-04-2007, 10:08 PM
haha! I think it would make a wonderful grocery truck! I am using it to put some beams up on my house. When I am finished with it, I am going to put it on the side of the road and sell it. Do you have a clue what that would be worth?

AintNoFun
02-04-2007, 10:23 PM
in NJ you'd need a class B...

hosejockey2002
02-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Unless you're getting the truck nearly free you won't save any money just using it to set beams on your house. You need a class B CDL to drive it. If you are driving it from state to state, you will need a diesel fuel permit for each state you drive in. You'll get maybe 7-8 mpg max, so you'll have fuel costs too. If you've never driven a truck like this before, you can tear it up pretty good if you don't know what you're doing.

Dirt Digger2
02-04-2007, 10:43 PM
you need a class B with airbrake restriction lifted...if you've never driven a truck like that pay someone to drive it for you...those Macks are a bear to drive and if your hoping in it and driving from st. louis to mississippi you are in for one hell of a ride

Albemarle Lawn
02-04-2007, 11:24 PM
You know, bigger is better.

Get a CDL or.....tell it to the judge!

DBL
02-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Personel use, dont tell me you are going to Wal-mart with it. I think ou will need cdl for it. It defenitly apperas to be a commercial vechicle.
Mike

damn you beat me to it

mrusk
02-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Just hire a crane to set your house beams. Buying that truck to work on your house makes no sense. What happens if the truck motor goes before you sell it?

PGold
02-05-2007, 09:36 AM
There are actually a lot more than just a few beams that have to be set in place. The entire house is going to be made out of pre-formed 12" thick concrete blocks of variable sizes. They weigh up to 3,000 pounds. The entire process of assembling the house is estimated at 5 months. A crane rental for five months is probably around 15,000 dollars. If I buy this mack, I can sell it back for a little less than I paid originally. I figured if the engine goes out on me during the project, it still wouldn't cost me 15,000 dollars. Plus, with the deck, it will be much easier to move the blocks from place to place. Here is a picture of a house using the same building method and the same type of truck.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i113/PatrickGold/dacart.jpg

Dirt Digger2
02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
cool..yea if you can buy the truck and hire a trucking company to go get it...they might load it on a low boy rather then send a driver...and in the end it costs you less then $15,000 then go for it...its a good idea...i think the best idea would be to have it put on a trailer and trucked down and dropped off onsite, that way you don't need to get insurance or even register it with the state.

Mike33
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Tell me what tranny is in it and i will tell you weather your a truckdriver or not. I drove some old macks long time ago and ill see if you know what i know.
Mike

Dirt Digger2
02-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Tell me what tranny is in it and i will tell you weather your a truckdriver or not. I drove some old macks long time ago and ill see if you know what i know.
Mike

well we got a Mack just like it and i'm guessing its probably the 5-2

iluvscag
02-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Class B CDL in Illinois.

Albemarle Lawn
02-05-2007, 10:26 PM
You can afford to just pay someone to do it. Looking at that house, 15K is chump change to pay for the service.

RockSet N' Grade
02-05-2007, 11:24 PM
What kind of blocks are those? Do you have a website I could look them up on?

Dirt Digger2
02-05-2007, 11:27 PM
they're for hurricane damage prevention arn't they?....i bet it makes one hell of a stable and solid house...hopfully it doesn't sink into that mississippi mud

hosejockey2002
02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
I figured if the engine goes out on me during the project, it still wouldn't cost me 15,000 dollars.

Maybe you're right, but an engine can cost all of $10,000 with labor. Just an injector pump, a grand or two. A transmission and clutch, $5K, a hydraulic pump, who knows, blow a cylinder, etc. If you've got the hook-up with a good diesel mechanic it can be cheaper to operate a truck like this but the parts are still spendy. Unless this truck is cherry, that stuff can nickel and dime all your savings away in a hurry. There's a reason why a rig like that hires out at $100 or more an hour. Now, if you were to keep that truck and hire it out after your project it may pencil out because the truck expenses would be deductible.

PGold
02-06-2007, 12:19 AM
The website for the place that designs and ships the blocks is Dac-art.net . He is a very small company out of Mobile, AL. The owner of the company recommended that I buy a boom truck, so I have just been looking for a good one. It is a really cool system of building a house. Our previous home was 3 bricks thick and 95 years old. After the hurricane, there was nothing left, so we decided to build a house that shouldn't go anywhere. It has a total thickness of 14 inches (two inches are foam and the rest is concrete) and all of the blocks are filled with rebar and concrete to interlock them. Hopefully it will stand up to anything. :weightlifter:

picture of the old house :confused:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i113/PatrickGold/house.jpg

RockSet N' Grade
02-06-2007, 07:27 AM
PGold....thanks for the dacart website. Looks like a great system with high R value, great flexibility in design (you can even put radiant heat in the walls). I have already sent away for more info on the building system. Cost per sq. ft. for shell? Have you looked at having your boom truck shipped by truck? This system has really peaked my interest....thanks.

PGold
02-06-2007, 09:13 AM
It is the best system I have found for building a hurricane proof home and I have spent many hours looking. The guy that builds the blocks is incredibly intelligent. He spends all his time off looking for new ideas in France. The only downside to the building process is it takes a lot longer to build than a typical home, but for a house that will never go anywhere, that isn't a problem at all.

PGold
02-06-2007, 09:16 AM
The guy selling the boom truck told me will ship it for 850 dollars plus fuel, so I think that is what I am going to do. That way he is liable if it breaks down.

Mike33
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
well we got a Mack just like it and i'm guessing its probably the 5-2

Run a quadra-plex few times what a pita 5-4 except no aux for 5th.
Mike

hosejockey2002
02-07-2007, 12:30 AM
PGold- good luck with your home construction. I'm sorry that you lost your home like so many others. I was on a USAR team in Gulfport a couple of weeks after the hurricane so I saw first hand the damage. I don't know if the home you are building would stand up to another Katrina but if anything can that house should.

nac
02-07-2007, 09:45 AM
A little of the subject but have you looked into building your house out of ICF's you can have an all concrete house and finish the outside however you want.

PGold
02-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I have done a lot of looking into ICF. We are rebuilding a house on the water out of NuDura. The ICF is an excellent system, but I don't want to have any worries after a storm passes. Some of the condos and high rises use ICF construction. The finish on the house is able to be torn off leaving concrete and foam exposed. That is minimal damage, but still it is something I don't want to worry about. The other downside for me is the thickness. To get 12" thick concrete walls, I would have to make the walls about 18 inches thick because the foam is about 3" thick on each side. The Dac-art system has no paint on any of the walls. The eaves are all made out of concrete, so there is nothing on the oustside of the house that requires paint.

nac
02-09-2007, 04:24 PM
It was just a sugestion. The Dac-art sytem does seem very good I wounder what it cost per sf of wall installed.

PGold
02-09-2007, 04:41 PM
It is a good suggestion. I don't have anything against icf. That is just my reasoning behind chosing the dac-art. Supposedly, it will be about 160 dollars per square foot installed. I'll find out in about 6 months.