PDA

View Full Version : Diaphragm Support Ring

PurpHaze
02-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Was doing some reading over the weekend and came across a blurb on the Hunter site regarding the "diaphragm support ring" on automatic valves. This is the ring that snaps into the body ahead of the diaphragm assembly and supports the diaphragm when it is in a closed attitude. They state that their support ring has holes in it so water between the diaphragm and the ring will siphon out thus not creating a suction effect of the diaphragm sticking to the ring (especially after long periods on non-use) and not opening the valve when the solenoid is activated.

I would imagine that this would not be something that we'd immediately recognize with a valve not actuating after a long period of non-use. Once we take the valve apart to investigate the situation we'd break the diaphragm off the ring and not even notice, thus correcting the situation.

Repairs
02-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Was doing some reading over the weekend and came across a blurb on the Hunter site regarding the "diaphragm support ring" on automatic valves. This is the ring that snaps into the body ahead of the diaphragm assembly and supports the diaphragm when it is in a closed attitude. They state that their support ring has holes in it so water between the diaphragm and the ring will siphon out thus not creating a suction effect of the diaphragm sticking to the ring (especially after long periods on non-use) and not opening the valve when the solenoid is activated.

I would imagine that this would not be something that we'd immediately recognize with a valve not actuating after a long period of non-use. Once we take the valve apart to investigate the situation we'd break the diaphragm off the ring and not even notice, thus correcting the situation.

Interesting toughts purp. Now I know why their are holes in the hunter support rings. :)

SprinklerGuy
02-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Not always...

The old Hardie HR-1 valves used to come out in one piece...meaning the diaphragm and the support ring would be stuck together...used to happen all the time...so much in fact that I would have to diagnose over the phone w/ new techs....they couldn't get the valve to work....I would ask what kind....I would tell them to get the old diaphragm...they would grap it and go...."oh there is a plastic thingie on the old one that doesn't look like the new one.."

And life would go on.....until the next time.

PurpHaze
02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Believe it or not, when you take a new Hunter ICV apart the support ring sticks to the diaphragm and bonnet. It actually makes it easier to replace the top end of the ICV in the ground. Just remove the old support ring from the body and then install the whole new top end (support ring, diaphragm, spring and bonnet) as a complete unit.