PDA

View Full Version : Trailer gate pistons?

EA Quinn
02-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Does anybody out there have gas shocks on their trailer gates like pictured below. If so, how do you like them? we currently have spring assits but i was looking for something cleaner and out of the way more.

Jason Rose
02-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Those gas shocks must be insanely strong! I can't imigine those little things having ANY effect at all in taking the weight of that gate.

Somewhere on here, of course I forget the guys name... There's a post about a trailer that has springs for the gates that are under the gate/trailer deck. They are basically just a single leaf spring, and according to the pictures they work AWESOME. run a search for gate springs, I'm sure they will pop up.

HERES THE THREAD... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=155558&highlight=%22gate+spring%22

BSDeality
02-05-2007, 06:21 PM
they work. thats what they use for clamshell snowmobile trailers, they're much longer though. Ours are about 18" rods. I've seen some ramps/gates that have coil springs which seem to work well also.

PROCUT1
02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Those gas shocks must be insanely strong! I can't imigine those little things having ANY effect at all in taking the weight of that gate.

Somewhere on here, of course I forget the guys name... There's a post about a trailer that has springs for the gates that are under the gate/trailer deck. They are basically just a single leaf spring, and according to the pictures they work AWESOME. run a search for gate springs, I'm sure they will pop up.

HERES THE THREAD... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=155558&highlight=%22gate+spring%22

I dont think that ramp weighs more than a truck hood and those hold them up

Jason Rose
02-05-2007, 09:01 PM
I dont think that ramp weighs more than a truck hood and those hold them up

maybe so... 100 pound hood is a lot different than a 300 pound gate! that one pictured looks pretty heavy with those heavy equipment ramp bars on it.

If they work, why don't more people use them on their gates??? Iv'e been around for quite a while, and this post is the first time Iv'e ever seen those kind of shocks on a trailer gate. IMO they look too flimsy! they may be able to lift ok, but after repeated use, or once they get bumped or something I'd bet they are toast. Plus, aren't they pretty expensive? Not something I'd want to have to replace all the time.

tomo
02-06-2007, 12:02 AM
hello, considered using gas struts as per picture,read below
1/costly as u most likely need 4x per tailgate
there are h/duty units available with screw on ends 9/16 shaft etc but as u can imagine cost $$$$$$$$$$ [90--100lbs catergory]
2/ when one unit looses its strength it will load up the others shortening life span of all units

3/ longest unit is 4 1/2 ft [may be to small 4 some applications ]
tomo:waving:

EA Quinn
02-06-2007, 08:21 AM
they cost $13.96 a piece.

www.austinhardware.com

Ive seen them on a bunch of new trailers lately around here and thought i might try it out. Ive personally lifted the gates they are on and arent flimsy. was just curious what everybody else had thought.

EA Quinn
02-06-2007, 08:57 AM
heres another shot of the trailer set up a buddy has. We currently have coil springs on all our trailers, but they are kind of a pain, and if this worked i was going to switch over. it seems nobody else out there really uses these on trailer gates i assume?

HenryB
02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
A big garage door spring is a much better idea. Cheaper and easier to mantain.

stroker51
02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Wow, I can't believe more of you haven't seen this. They work awesome, and for a normal lawn gate, you use three, 2 on one side and 1 on the other. For a heavier gate (12K rating I think) use 4. For normal equipment ramps, one per ramp, for double-wide ramps, 2 per ramp. I've got two trailers set up like this, they work great. This is all the local trailer builder uses on everything from 12' singal axles up to 20+foot 14K and up trailer ramps. Check out their website, www.usatrailers.com, they call their gates "Easi-lift" If done right, these gas shocks work great, and last a long long time. I highly recommend them on any kind of fold-up ramp.