PDA

View Full Version : Fountain of Youth

PurpHaze
02-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Some high school kids were trying to dig holes for a bench support today with a post hole digger. Tomorrow we'll be repairing the 2-1/2" main line. Should have seen the panicked look on everyone's faces when I showed up. :laugh:

koster_irrigation
02-06-2007, 09:48 AM
i bet they were pretty panicked! they even left their tools behind!

gusbuster
02-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I guess they didn't know about Purps U.S.A. service. Just like the real one, I'm sure he would of done it for free.

By the way, lucky the weather has been warming up. At least it won't be too cold to work in.

PurpHaze
02-06-2007, 10:28 PM
When I arrived there was a group of about four high school students and two teachers just off to camera left front. The principal (great guy) and the site custodian (an Amazon warrior) were in the pump enclosure (camera left rear) attempting to figure out how to shut the thing down from a combination of four valves and two different backflows (pump supplies three complete school sites and part of a high school). When I arrived the gleeful shout went up, "Hayes is here!" I took the picture and then nonchalantly strolled over to the pump enclosure where I instructed the site custodian as to what to shut down so she'd know in the future. Now they both know in the event of another irrigation emergency. :)

PurpHaze
02-06-2007, 10:37 PM
I guess they didn't know about Purps U.S.A. service. Just like the real one, I'm sure he would of done it for free.

OK... Here's the story. The guy that works with me (Leo... truly a very hard worker) has only been with me for the past year and had little history on this site. He'd gone out in the morning and repaired a lateral line they'd hit with their first post hole experience. When asked where they could put the holes Leo diligently marked a spot about five feet away not knowing there was a main line there. I did. :laugh:

When we got done with the repairs this morning I located a spot that seems to be free of irrigation pipes, at least I'm positive there is no main line in that area. I told them that if they came across a lateral line to just go ahead and use the hole and we'd reroute around them. I'm not too concerned about lateral lines but very protective of main lines and wiring. :)

By the way, lucky the weather has been warming up. At least it won't be too cold to work in.

Too friggin' warm down here for me. And now we start Daylight Savings Time on March 11th! :dizzy:

PurpHaze
02-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Here's the repair pics. There's extra ones in the series as I've had a couple of PMs asking how we do the Dresser couplings on larger main lines. Leo insisted on doing all the hard work because he felt bad about the main getting hit. I told him to not sweat it (hell... not a mistake that he can make that I haven't already made in the past) and took the pictures as he made the repairs. Pics will finish on next post.

PurpHaze
02-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Last of the repair pics. It was a 3" main line and not 2-1/2" as I first suspected. That area is about 20' away.

mikecaldwell1204
02-07-2007, 09:00 PM
purp,
what are the advantages of using the dresser couplings and pipe over using a slip-fix?

laylow1994
02-07-2007, 09:38 PM
yea why didnt you use a slip fix.. would of been alot easier..... slip fix is my best friend!!!!

PurpHaze
02-07-2007, 10:00 PM
purp,
what are the advantages of using the dresser couplings and pipe over using a slip-fix?

I've never (in 25 years) had to go back in on any of our Dresser couplings (2-1/2" to 8" sizes). :)

I've replace plenty of plumber's and "do-gooders" Slip Fixes installed on main lines that have failed. :dizzy:

PurpHaze
02-07-2007, 10:09 PM
yea why didnt you use a slip fix.. would of been alot easier..... slip fix is my best friend!!!!

Slip Fixes have a single O-ring in them and will tolerate pretty much zero deflection of the pipe repair.

Dresser couplings have two 1-1/2" wedge shaped rubbers that get pressed between the pipe and the barrel of the Dresser creating a positive seal and one continuous solid piping. They can also tolerate some degree of deflection in the event the pipe "springs" and does not line up on a true plane.

Put a Slip Fix in and then stand on a pressurized line (not backfilled yet) and let me know if it keeps its seal. I'll do it with any sized pipe repaired with Dresser couplings. :)

Repairs
02-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Slip Fixes have a single O-ring in them and will tolerate pretty much zero deflection of the pipe repair.

Dresser couplings have two 1-1/2" wedge shaped rubbers that get pressed between the pipe and the barrel of the Dresser creating a positive seal and one continuous solid piping. They can also tolerate some degree of deflection in the event the pipe "springs" and does not line up on a true plane.

Put a Slip Fix in and then stand on a pressurized line (not backfilled yet) and let me know if it keeps its seal. I'll do it with any sized pipe repaired with Dresser couplings. :)

No doubt a slip fix over about 1.5" is questionalbe. Mechanical couplings are superior in every way except cost. I have had many slip-fixes fail specifically on the larger size pipe, as the coupler just has the ability to move too much. Now I just got to find some folks who will pay for those things. :laugh:

Remote Pigtails
02-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Going down the thread I knew you were going to get nailed with that slip fix question. I don't get in above 2" and use them but I sure have replaced a lot. Sometimes my own but that is because they split down the side. The problem I see most often is undercut pipe and it can shift like a piston. One job I saw the guy must have run out of 3/4" pipe and glued three slip fixes in a row. Wish I had a camera then. On the golf course I worked as a teenager we did a lot of thrust blocking with concrete so slip fixes are like candy to me. Taste great but not very healthy. (Or is that Otter Pops?)

PurpHaze
02-08-2007, 09:32 AM
No doubt a slip fix over about 1.5" is questionalbe. Mechanical couplings are superior in every way except cost. I have had many slip-fixes fail specifically on the larger size pipe, as the coupler just has the ability to move too much. Now I just got to find some folks who will pay for those things. :laugh:

They're not cheap... BUT they're permanent. The biggest mistake made when installing them is not tightening the bolts enough. There are torque specifications for the bolts but we don't use them as we've installed so many over the years that we know how tight they should be. :)

PurpHaze
02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Going down the thread I knew you were going to get nailed with that slip fix question. I don't get in above 2" and use them but I sure have replaced a lot. Sometimes my own but that is because they split down the side. The problem I see most often is undercut pipe and it can shift like a piston. One job I saw the guy must have run out of 3/4" pipe and glued three slip fixes in a row. Wish I had a camera then. On the golf course I worked as a teenager we did a lot of thrust blocking with concrete so slip fixes are like candy to me. Taste great but not very healthy. (Or is that Otter Pops?)

Every manufacturer (Nibco, Spears, Lasco, KBI, etc.) of telescoping repair couplings warns against pipe movement and the need for thrust protection. I'm not about to take that chance on a main line. Additionally, I'll put a Dresser coupling up against a Slip Fix any day on the pressurized side of the line when it comes to dealing with water hammer.

We do use Slip Fixes all the time on lateral lines but there's not as much water hammer to deal with on that side of the line because shock can be dissipated through the open ends at sprinklers.