PDA

View Full Version : I lost the title to my trailer 2 yrs. later......

troblandscape
02-06-2007, 12:21 AM
I am posting this thread in hope that it can help somebody who is in my situation. I am sure all states are different but I live in Pa.
Ok I bought a equipment trailer on Ebay for my bobcat, Feb of 2005, The guy I bought it from never had it titled but had the bill of origin from the manufacture. I lost the bill of origin. I decided that I didn't want to go through the process of getting a title so I sold the trailer on ebay and said that there was no title in the listing. A cop from New York ended up buying it and I delivered for a fee 3 hours away. I get a call 5 months later from the cop and he says that I have to buy the trailer back from him because he cant get a title for it in New York and that if I don't he will take me to court if I don't, even know I mentioned it in the ebay listing that the title was lost. I drove all the way back to New York and bought it back from him got it home and called the Company on the VIn. plate and they were no longer in Buss. to mail me a new bill of origin. So I call Harrisburg and they said I could apply for a rebuilt trailer title, they mailed me a book and I took it to the guy who inspects my trailers. This trailer is a 10000 gvw and it only had brakes on one axle so my mechanic put brakes on that axle and did some other things to get it up to speed, it cost me 1900 from ebay and 1100 in repairs, we did what the book told us to do,.. took pictures, explained how it was built, and sent it off to Harrisburg in 9/05. In 3/06, Harrisburg sent it back and said I needed to take it to a weigh station and get it weighed, did it sent it back. 7/06 I get the book back and they say I need more detail in my build sheet, did it sent it back. 10/06 Got it back and Harrisburg sent it back and said I needed to show proof that sales tax was paid on the parts that were used to repair trailer got receipts and sent it back. 2/3/07 I got my mail and a big envelope with a fresh title new vin. plate and a current registration were in the envelope I felt like a little kid on Christmas. The trailer is really well built and I was using it sometimes with another trailer tag in emergencies but was really nervous. Now I am completely legit. My advice on this experience is if you have to go through this process it takes a long time and they are going to send it back weather you think it is right or not. Hope this helps

bowhunter74
02-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Its easy here just apply for a homemade trailer title then your done.

sno-mover
02-06-2007, 01:16 AM
We have done it a bunch of times for reconstructed titles for cars ond once for a trailer that I bought on ebay with NO title. As long as you follow the directions exactly it goes right through.

troblandscape
02-06-2007, 01:24 AM
huh, in the book it said nothing about proving sales tax paid on the parts?

LB1234
02-06-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm in the same boat.

Bought a trailer and recevied what I thought was a title, when in fact it was the certificate of orgin from PA...I'm in jersey.

Anyhow, I go to register it at the DMV and walla...I can't b/c the orginal owner never titled it and only he can title it. I said great so technically I purchased a stolen trailer...she says maybe...hold on. Has a cop run the vin and everything and nothing show up.

She gave me one option go down to the head dmv in trenton and file for an abondoned trailer. However, to do this I have to perform title searched in something like 3-4 states and a whole bunch other paper work..even though the cop ran it and it isn't titled and both the original owner and one I purchased from were from jersey.

So, I spoke with another contractor buddy of mine and he says just state that you built the trailer, fill out a form, pay a fee and your done.

I think thats the route I'm going to go..otherwise I'm going to pay 4-5k for my 3k trailer.

troblandscape
02-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Let us know how it works out.

Total.Lawn.Care
02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Same in GA, just apply for a homemade trailer registration. They send you the paperwork. You fill it out and then call the Sheriffs Dept to send an officer by to inspect the trailer (they check it for DOT standard and make sure the lights work). Cop signs off on the paperwork, and you go get your registration.

stroker51
02-06-2007, 12:58 PM
yup, just apply for a homemade title in KS, they give you an assigned VIN, put it on the trailer, get your tag and you're done.

coolbreeze
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Same in GA, just apply for a homemade trailer registration. They send you the paperwork. You fill it out and then call the Sheriffs Dept to send an officer by to inspect the trailer (they check it for DOT standard and make sure the lights work). Cop signs off on the paperwork, and you go get your registration.

i bought a homemade trailer and they actually checked mine at the dmv, since they have to verify that the vin was riveted on the trailer.

coolbreeze
02-06-2007, 01:10 PM
oh, i also had to provide the bill of sale. very easy process.

motoguy
02-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Went the "homemade" route on a couple of trailers in MO, too.

I've never understood how people manage to lose titles to vehicles / property. It's not asking -that- much to have a file or safety deposit box. :/

Anymore, if there's no title, the price better have dropped through the floor...

LB1234
02-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Went to the DMV this evening. Fill out two-three pages of work and walla...I have a title. I'm going to try and get down to the DMV tomorrow but it seems pretty simple. BTW, it was provided the trailer weight was under 2500#'s. Otherwise its a whole different ballgame.

thebobcatkid86
03-03-2007, 12:54 AM
I went the 'home made' route with my bobcat trailer. In Ohio if the empty weight is under 3000lbs it doesnt need a real title. The bill of sale was simply a signed hand written note from the guy I bought it from. Got it weighed, gave them the weigh station ticket, gave me tags, stickers, done and done. I had it bought, paid for and tagged in the space of one day.

robbo521
03-03-2007, 01:53 AM
i sure glad i live in Alabama!here you just go and reply for lost title and they check it out and you have a new one in about 6 weeks.