PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on 84' Ford

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I am going on my second season in the lawn care business and i am looking to expand. I am working on getting two 48'' mowers. I already have one scag 52". This morning i looked at an 84' ford Dump truck. It is a diesel f350 which seems so be well maintained. Engine runs fine and dump works well. There is 154,000 mi on the original engine and it has only had one owner. He is asking $2500. Please let me know what you think.Thank You

-Ryan LTD LawnCare

stroker51
02-06-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't have a whole lot of experience with the old 6.9L diesels, but they seemed to be a good engine from what I have gathered. Go to www.dieselstop.com, those guys in the 6.9 forum will be able to tell you what to check for etc. good luck.

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Dieselstop gave me a lot of good information about the motor but what do you think about the price?

troblandscape
02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
offer him 2000 grand for it, it that deisel breaks down it is an expensive repair, I would rather have an old gas engine than an old deisel.

GreenN'Clean
02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Id try to bring him way down in the price. More like $1500 for it since its an 84

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
I would go way down on the price but i have been looking in the area and it seems that you can't find a decent looking dump truck for under $5000. Is anyone else seeing this in their area?

nlminc
02-06-2007, 05:55 PM
I bought my first dump in Boston. I was living on the Cape at the time. Bought a 1986 F350 with a 6.9 diesel. I had that truck for 5 years and replace the water pump 2 times. Bought it in 93 for 7,000.00 and sold it in 97 for $8,100.00.....had 2 guys fighting over it! lol

I would pull the trigger on it if I were you. Original owner and in decent shape? Dumps that are not abused are a tuff find.

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
I bought my first dump in Boston. I was living on the Cape at the time. Bought a 1986 F350 with a 6.9 diesel. I had that truck for 5 years and replace the water pump 2 times. Bought it in 93 for 7,000.00 and sold it in 97 for $8,100.00.....had 2 guys fighting over it! lol

I would pull the trigger on it if I were you. Original owner and in decent shape? Dumps that are not abused are a tuff find.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I am not saying that I am not considering the advice the rest of you have given me. It seems as though it is really hard to find a decent dump truck in this area for under 5k

KrayzKajun
02-06-2007, 06:07 PM
i would jump on it!

nlminc
02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. I am not saying that I am not considering the advice the rest of you have given me. It seems as though it is really hard to find a decent dump truck in this area for under 5k

When I was looking for my first dump, I test drove many newer models that were falling apart. Totally beat! The roads up there are abusive and add to it usually an "employee of the day" is driving the dump truck and they usually beat on them! If you find one that's been plowed.........forget it! lol

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
When I was looking for my first dump, I test drove many newer models that were falling apart. Totally beat! The roads up there are abusive and add to it usually an "employee of the day" is driving the dump truck and they usually beat on them! If you find one that's been plowed.........forget it! lol

The Guy selling the truck is the original owner and is co-owner of a landscaping company with his father. They are the only two employees of the company. The truck was never plowed with and was just recently replaced with an 02' F-450. He told me he was just looking for a sharper image. New truck+ New 20' Enclosed Trailer= Better image? Or so i am told.

KS_Grasscutter
02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
i would jump on it!

Yea, me too. Don't be afraid of older trucks in good shape. In November I payed TOP DOLLAR plus a bunch (i know...:hammerhead: :hammerhead: )for a 1984 Chevy C20. It is in damn good shape, and I have had no trouble with it so far. As far as I am concerned, a 1984 WILL pull exactly the same trailer as a 2007, for a LOT less money, plus considerably more "cool factor".

Go for it. Post some pics of it too!

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks a lot for all of the help... Now i just have to try and convince my partner we need the truck. I have another Thread in this forum if you guys could offer any help on that. Thanks again
Ryan

nlminc
02-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks a lot for all of the help... Now i just have to try and convince my partner we need the truck. I have another Thread in this forum if you guys could offer any help on that. Thanks again
Ryan

Partner? Go out on your own! Sorry...Just tell your partner that he/she will be the one who will have to pitch all of the clippings out of the back of your pick up for the summer! You will use the dump when you deliver mulch and other supplies. Go for it.

KrayzKajun
02-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Ryan

Sounds like it might be time to branch off on your own.

Shady Brook
02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Likely you will either really love it, or really hate it. I had an 86 with about that many miles, and it seemed to be down more then up. Without modifications the engine is fairly gutless. It drove fine alone, but hook up a trailer, or have a load, and you were not going to go far fast. You may ask in some round about way if he treated antifreeze with coolant conditioner. The 6.9's were not as prone to cavitate like the 7.3, but it could happen. Like was mentioned, if the engine goes you will be sending that truck to a junk yard. Remember on those diesels you have injector pumps that can fail, glow plugs that can freeze in the engine, and a variety of other nasty and potentially expensive things.

Some guys really love the 6.9 as they are easier and cheaper to work on. To me a the cummins is in a whole different league then the Ford diesels I have owned.

Good luck