PDA

View Full Version : Dump Truck For Lawn Care

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I am currently looking to buy a dump truck for my growing Lawn Care Business. My partner seems to think that it is not neccessary. I think that it will help open doors for the company and create new opportunity with Mulching, Spring and Fall Clean-ups. I would like to know what you guys think. I am just looking for advice on how to sell him on the idea of a dump truck or if you guys could come up with enough reason not to get one. I will be looking at a used dump for under $5k

Ryan

Ramairfreak98ss
02-06-2007, 09:25 PM
under 5k? WHERE AT? :)

i just bought an 06 f350 diesel, i too was thinking back and forth about a dump f450 or something, but then too many drawbacks for my business now. I wouldnt need it "that" often to warranty the cost and drawbacks.

just a dump body was another 8k+ over the ford frame of 38k :/

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I found an 84' F350 for $2500. I would be using it locally, just for the business.

J&R Landscaping
02-06-2007, 09:34 PM
To the original poster,

How many accounts are you currently servicing? What is the breakdown as far as residential/commercial?

IMHO, if you are just doing residential lawn care with only a few commercials, you dont need a dump truck. If you are doing a large amount of landscaping or mulching or new installs, then it may be nessecary. I would consider a dump truck if your doing over 35% of your sales in new lawn constructions/sod or mulching and such.

J&R Landscaping
02-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I found an 84' F350 for $2500. I would be using it locally, just for the business.

Why would you want something that old? Are you mechaincally inclined so if and when it dies or has a problem, can you fix it?

Spend wisely, you'll get what you pay for. I would not be using a truck that old because I am looking at maintaining a professional appeal to my customers.
Not to say an old truck isn't appealing but oil leaks and problems suck. Nothing worse than being at a job all ay and when you leave, their is a huge oil spot from where your truck was parked all day! I'm not sure if that's the image I would want to be putting out.

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 09:40 PM
To the original poster,

How many accounts are you currently servicing? What is the breakdown as far as residential/commercial?

IMHO, if you are just doing residential lawn care with only a few commercials, you dont need a dump truck. If you are doing a large amount of landscaping or mulching or new installs, then it may be nessecary. I would consider a dump truck if your doing over 35% of your sales in new lawn constructions/sod or mulching and such.

50% of my business is commercial and about 20 % of all business is clean-ups. In New England there are a ton of leaves to pick up in the fall. I wanted to buy the dumptruck and a vac so that we could service all of our clients and many more with the fall clean-up. Right now we are putting the leaves in a 5'x6' trailer and hauling them to a nearby compost depot. Taking lots of extra time and costing big $$$

LTDLawnCare
02-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Why would you want something that old? Are you mechaincally inclined so if and when it dies or has a problem, can you fix it?

Spend wisely, you'll get what you pay for. I would not be using a truck that old because I am looking at maintaining a professional appeal to my customers.
Not to say an old truck isn't appealing but oil leaks and problems suck. Nothing worse than being at a job all ay and when you leave, their is a huge oil spot from where your truck was parked all day! I'm not sure if that's the image I would want to be putting out.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined and it is a 84' diesel with 150k on the original motor with one owner

Lawnworks
02-06-2007, 10:31 PM
You can find a good dump for 10-15k. I would not buy a cheapo... I would wait to buy a good one. I couldn't live w/o my dump. I would get a flatbed dump so it will still be able to haul a few pallets of sod, plant material, etc. I would also try to get a 12 footer.

vntgrcr
02-06-2007, 10:37 PM
LTD, check your private messages.

hosejockey2002
02-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Having a dump in lawn care is a great time and labor saver. I've got a dump insert in my Chevy 2500HD. I figure it saves me $20 every time I push the button. I used it 74 times in 2006, so it saved me over $1400.

There's no way I would mess around with a dump truck for under $5K. If you do, be prepared to dump money and time into it. An since time is money in this business, you are money ahead with a newer more reliable truck.

IMO a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup with a dump insert is just as good or better than a 1 ton dually with a flat deck or stake side dump. The dually flat deck can hold more volume, but a 1 ton dually dump will weigh 7500-9000 lbs. empty. With a GVWR of 10-12K depending on the make and year, that gives you a 2500-3000 lb. payload, the same as my 2500HD pickup with dump insert.

Lawnworks
02-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Having a dump in lawn care is a great time and labor saver. I've got a dump insert in my Chevy 2500HD. I figure it saves me $20 every time I push the button. I used it 74 times in 2006, so it saved me over $1400.

There's no way I would mess around with a dump truck for under $5K. If you do, be prepared to dump money and time into it. An since time is money in this business, you are money ahead with a newer more reliable truck.

IMO a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup with a dump insert is just as good or better than a 1 ton dually with a flat deck or stake side dump. The dually flat deck can hold more volume, but a 1 ton dually dump will weigh 7500-9000 lbs. empty. With a GVWR of 10-12K depending on the make and year, that gives you a 2500-3000 lb. payload, the same as my 2500HD pickup with dump insert.

I disagree. Usually space is more of an issue than weight. I very rarely haul topsoil or rocks. I have hauled 4-5k around town several times w/ no issues, but 95% of the time I find I am hauling yard debris, mulch, etc. I can load almost 100 bales of straw on this flatbed. It is really nice to have extra space... like I said I would even try to find a 12ft bed to utilize that much more space. It is amazing how much crap you can fit onto a 12ft flatbed. JMO.

GreenN'Clean
02-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I have an f250 with a ez bed dump insert and it works great for me. I haul mulch,stone,dirt,etc and its all I need to get the jobs done.

Metro Lawn
02-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Here is a real situation. I purchased my first dump for $3500, which is the 1985 Dodge pictured below. I used that truck for years and besides gas and oil, all I ever fixed was a $23 master cylinder. By the way, it never leaked a drop. I just sold it ( for a profit ) and replaced it with the 1993 Dodge below. It has a Cummins diesel, rust free cab, and barely 100K on it. Cost $5000. It doesn't leak either. You guys that say it can't be done, well it can. I am living and working proof. Best part is I don't have that big truck payment to make every month. When did old become junk. We also have a dozen plow trucks ( Dodge Pre 1993 ) , none of which has ever lost a trans or even been towed for that matter. Keep your new trucks and your payments. I'm doing just fine right here with my old stuff. Going on 22 years in this business this spring.

John Gamba
02-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I am somewhat mechanically inclined and it is a 84' diesel with 150k on the original motor with one owner

Dont buy a diesel with that amount of mileage and that many years on it. Look at ALL the wiring that goes to that engine. Fords like to burn there wiring when they get jumped for two days straight when its cold.

See if you can start it in the cold. First check to see if its cold first.

J&R Landscaping
02-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Dont buy a diesel with that amount of mileage and that many years on it. Look at ALL the wiring that goes to that engine. Fords like to burn there wiring when they get jumped for two days straight when its cold.

See if you can start it in the cold. First check to see if its cold first.

Definitly a great point!!! With the truck sitting not running for at least 8 hours, see how easy it starts, and runs. Does it smoke a lot at start-up? What color smoke?

This could be a great indication for what condition the injectors, glow plugs and injection pump are in.
There was an article is Diesel power magazine that discussed the suggestions I just mentioned plus a few more when you are looking into a used diesel. You might be able to find the article on line. www.dieselpowermag.com

John Gamba
02-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Definitly a great point!!! With the truck sitting not running for at least 8 hours, see how easy it starts, and runs. Does it smoke a lot at start-up? What color smoke?

This could be a great indication for what condition the injectors, glow plugs and injection pump are in.
There was an article is Diesel power magazine that discussed the suggestions I just mentioned plus a few more when you are looking into a used diesel. You might be able to find the article on line. www.dieselpowermag.com

Good info. This might be a good truck but you need to really check diesels out.

Does anybody know how much a long block is for this truck?? last i knew it was 5000.

stroker51
02-08-2007, 12:12 AM
I realize this is an exception rather than a rule, but the company I have been working for on and off since about 2004 has a 1984 Chevy 1-ton he bought in like 93 or 94 with 70,000 miles for $1500. He said he almost didn't buy it cause he couldn't afford it, but he did and God only knows how much money it has made him over the years. He has replaced the 350 engine once, and other than that and adding some back leaf springs, hasn't done much else. This old girl hauls everything from mulch to river rock to retaining wall stone and pulled his tractor (deere 4600-4700) and skid steer until he bought an 05 PSD. There are good deals out there for cheap on the older tonners, I just haven't found my own yet:cry: :cry:

IHI
02-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Ever think of just buying a dump trailer? I currently have a F550 with a flatbed (no dump) and I'm tired of busting my back and the time spent on unloading, especially when things get packed in there. I checked with the local boys and they want around 3600.00 to turn my f550 into a dump. Well, guess what, I also found a 10 k 10' dump for about the same price. I'm actually going to go out and take a harder look at it tomorrow. I am thinking of downgrading the size of truck for a 3/4 or 1 ton to save gas mileage and will then pull the dump trailer if I buy it. Multiply the number of hours it takes to unload manually, a dump truck should pay for itself real quick.

hosejockey2002
02-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Metro- very nice truck for $5K. Where I live you would be lucky to find a truck that runs, drives, stops and dumps for $5K. That truck you paid $5K for you would probably pay $12K or more for around here.

JohnsonLawn
02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
LTD, you are a small company like I am, so the more efficient you are the more profitable you are. I know what you mean about all the leaves in the northeast and I would not be without my dump and my 16hp loader. I use to do things your way and it sucked. The loader goes on the truck in late Oct. and stays on until the last cleanup is done. I can suck leaves for two days without having to think about dumping, so I get alot more work done. As far as finding deals on trucks, they are out there. This is my dump I bought in 2003 with 71,000 miles on it, with plow for $7500.00 cash. Get the right equipment for the job and you will be happier for it.

mrusk
02-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Metro- You seem to always find good, cheap reliable trucks. What is the secert?

How many trucks do you look at before you find one to buy?

PORTER 05
02-08-2007, 01:26 PM
i also live in the north east , and came up wiht the same problem, to amany leaves in the fall , we used to put a HUGE box on our GMC 1500, and then decided it wasnt going to work, so the next seaosn we bought a 1989 Chevy 3500 1 ton dually with a electric 2/3 YRD dump body on it with a brand new GM motor in it with only 3000 miles , we bought it for $4000, got it painted dark green at macco for $406, (3) 2x12 sides boards on each side painted the wheels black and its great....i would not buy that ford dump diesel NO WAYYYY please dont, youll be sorry.trust me....

pick up a "WANT ADDS" and loook under "heavy equitpment" there are about 30 diffrent 1985 / 1989 GMC/CHEVY 1 ton dually dumps for sale in there for under $5,000, BUT make sure you look through the truck, most of them ARE junk, but some are just as good as a new one, with a proffessional paint job they are FINE!

Metro Lawn
02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Metro- You seem to always find good, cheap reliable trucks. What is the secert?

How many trucks do you look at before you find one to buy?

DODGE !

lol, I spend many hours online looking, digging, ect. through many sources. Most I buy without ever seeing. Having so many years of being in the trucking industry has taught me what to look for and what to avoid.

kkls2006
02-08-2007, 05:14 PM
We have owned many 1 ton dump trucks in the past (5k-12k) And all I have to say is " These are the most over worked under paid trucks that exist") They are constantly overloaded with the exception of a few. So you need to be very careful of what you buy used....

Oyster Point
02-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Like to through my hat in the ring and send a shout out to all boys I see on here from the Northeast. First time posting, and really love the Threads.

Thanks.

JohnsonLawn
02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Like to through my hat in the ring and send a shout out to all boys I see on here from the Northeast. First time posting, and really love the Threads.

Thanks.

Welcome aboard brother, alot of good folks here and loaded with knowledge. Anything you need to know is on here. Again, welcome.

Oyster Point
02-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks Alot

vntgrcr
02-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Thanks.
What the &%^#&, I thougth I was the only from the Cape on here! And now comes some new guy!!!! Just kidding, you will get some great info here and an education as well. I know it has been invaluable for me on many fronts. Try to contribute if you can as well. Good luck
David

gmcplowtruck
02-14-2007, 08:47 PM
i baught a brand new dump its my logo on here the total cost was $32,000 before i got it i decided to put a dump hoist on my dodge truck i got it from northern tools and it cost me $1000 it works okay it will lift about 1.5 ton dont use much since i baught dump truck but once you get the truck youll use it more than you think i haul tons of stuff with it i dont like to do it but i have had 5 ton in it and the electric hoist lifted with no problem and truck handeled it well i use a leave vac on my truck it takes a .25 of the time of raking took also with a pickup u can only get 2-3 yards of mulch in it with a dump u can get 8-10 depending on sides so with pickup u have to make more trips to get materials wich means it takes longer and cost u more to complete

get the dump it will pay for it self and save you time but dont buy a piece of junk you dont want to pull up in front of a customers house in a piece of shi# buy a newer one it will make your busness look better too give you more of a professinal look

Lawnworks
02-14-2007, 09:47 PM
i baught a brand new dump its my logo on here the total cost was $32,000 before i got it i decided to put a dump hoist on my dodge truck i got it from northern tools and it cost me $1000 it works okay it will lift about 1.5 ton dont use much since i baught dump truck but once you get the truck youll use it more than you think i haul tons of stuff with it i dont like to do it but i have had 5 ton in it and the electric hoist lifted with no problem and truck handeled it well i use a leave vac on my truck it takes a .25 of the time of raking took also with a pickup u can only get 2-3 yards of mulch in it with a dump u can get 8-10 depending on sides so with pickup u have to make more trips to get materials wich means it takes longer and cost u more to complete

get the dump it will pay for it self and save you time but dont buy a piece of junk you dont want to pull up in front of a customers house in a piece of shi# buy a newer one it will make your busness look better too give you more of a professinal look

Yeah go into as much debt as possible... you will look real good! After all it isn't about your bottom line.

LTDLawnCare
02-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Bought a 95 NPR ( Thanks David) I love It!

Swampy
02-14-2007, 10:29 PM
was going to say look for a older ford superduty/450. With the 7.3 in it they just don't die easily. We got a 94, 2wd, 5spd Manual, 5:13 in her, PTO dump. This truck time and time again either being overloaded with 4 ton on stone, or about 6 yards of mulch has ate up everything that we could throw at her. Put a 9ft fisher plow off the front of it and it plows circles around our F550 with a 10ft fisher. About 6 or 7 years ago we put a salter in the back of it and is still holding up. Yeah there are some problems with older trucks like ours its on its second tranny has only 105K on her but unknown working hours and unknown reverse miles (more or less really high), needs some new cables for the controls, no parking brake. Last year new drums and rotors, inner and outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, new tires.

Still not bad for a old truck and is still more reliable than anything that ford has came out with in the past years.

vntgrcr
02-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Ryan, just remember your in a diesel not a gas motor so don't wind it up too high in the rpms, it will last you quite a while. Now go to work!!

Lawnworks
02-15-2007, 07:47 AM

Got any pics? I like those isuzu dumps, I think they are much tougher than 1 tons.

gmcplowtruck
02-15-2007, 03:17 PM
you have to spend money to make money id rather have the reliability of a new truck for as much abuse as you put on a dump so i got 6 years of no worries

stevesmowing
02-15-2007, 03:25 PM
get a dump trailer for 5k you could get brand new, cheaper insurance, more capacity and more uses for it.

JohnsonLawn
02-15-2007, 03:32 PM
you have to spend money to make money id rather have the reliability of a new truck for as much abuse as you put on a dump so i got 6 years of no worries

Hate to tell ya but new trucks break down to and not everything is covered under warranty. Older trucks can be kept like new, are paid for, parts are less money and are easier to work on. I bought this truck for $7500.00 cash and it has been a very dependable workhorse.

gmcplowtruck
02-15-2007, 06:46 PM
yeah but that trucks in its late 90s around 97 or 98 right i had a 97 chevy i sold like that it was a pickup but still i im glad i made the decision to buy a new dump because around here a truck like that in decent shape are only a few thousand less than what i paid for my new one but i have been looking for another one for snowplowing and salting and to get larger jobs done and it will probly be used somewhat like what you got there

but i guess i m able to pay for the truck right now i live at home and dont have a family to support but i figure im doing it right by buying everything now so i wont have payments when im out on my own

JohnsonLawn
02-15-2007, 07:09 PM
yeah but that trucks in its late 90s around 97 or 98 right i had a 97 chevy i sold like that it was a pickup but still i im glad i made the decision to buy a new dump because around here a truck like that in decent shape are only a few thousand less than what i paid for my new one but i have been looking for another one for snowplowing and salting and to get larger jobs done and it will probly be used somewhat like what you got there

but i guess i m able to pay for the truck right now i live at home and dont have a family to support but i figure im doing it right by buying everything now so i wont have payments when im out on my own

Truck is a 1992 with 78000 miles on it. See I told you that you could keep them looking nice!!!

gmcplowtruck
02-15-2007, 07:24 PM
lol looks like my old 97

JohnsonLawn
02-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Buy everything you can now while you are still home. Being married with 4 kids makes it hard to buy all the new toys I want. Nice truck though!!

gmcplowtruck
02-15-2007, 08:22 PM
thanks so is yours if i can pick one up like that i will my dad likes me to have stuff for him to use when i boaght my first z he was out cuting any grass he could if he couldent find grass he would just ride it down the street
so he helps me along with telling me what i should buy next

supercuts
02-17-2007, 11:35 AM
heres my 2 cents, i used a ford f250 4x4 with an ez dump in it for the last 4 years, it worked great. built an tall box on it for leaves and worked great. it was a bit small though and when i filled it with a load of wet leaves it was scary to drive. we just got a 2000 f550 7.3l powerstroke 12' grain/rack dump 2wd with 57k for $10,500. if the price sounds cheap its because the tranny wont shift into 4th gear and needs to be rebuilt. it still drives great up to 45mph and the new tranny is $2600. so, 13,100 for a mint truck, couldnt go wrong. by the way i love it, i can fit so much in it its crazy.

Lawnworks
02-17-2007, 07:33 PM
heres my 2 cents, i used a ford f250 4x4 with an ez dump in it for the last 4 years, it worked great. built an tall box on it for leaves and worked great. it was a bit small though and when i filled it with a load of wet leaves it was scary to drive. we just got a 2000 f550 7.3l powerstroke 12' grain/rack dump 2wd with 57k for $10,500. if the price sounds cheap its because the tranny wont shift into 4th gear and needs to be rebuilt. it still drives great up to 45mph and the new tranny is $2600. so, 13,100 for a mint truck, couldnt go wrong. by the way i love it, i can fit so much in it its crazy.

You did good on that truck... reg cab?