PDA

View Full Version : Air Horn question..

jbailey52
02-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Ok since its cold out, I tend to find a lot of useless things to do with my time. Today I decided to try and install a air horn haha... Anyway the directions have it setup where you run the original factory horn wires to a new relay which a ground, the main 12v and a wire running to a switch, then to the new air horn is connected. Well I dont want the Airhorn to be used as my regular horn. So I bought a push button switch. So the spot on the relay where the existing horn was to go i left blank. Anyway when I Hooked it up, did not work. When I touched the empty spot (where existing horn should be) and the 12v slot with a piece of wire.. it went on... but on constantly regardless of the switch. Can someone help me with how to hook up this compressor, so that it will be activated by a switch? Thanks!

hosejockey2002
02-08-2007, 12:35 AM
You should run 12V power through the push button switch to the existing horn terminal on the air horn relay. The other terminal should go directly to 12V. A good place to tap power for the horn switch is the cold side of the horn fuse. Connect there, run through the your button switch and connect to the relay where the existing horn wire would normally hook up. That way if your wiring job shorts out for whatever reason it will blow the horn circuit fuse.

jbailey52
02-08-2007, 09:23 AM
But installing that way, wouldnt this horn operate when the original horn is pressed? Thanks for your help!

Total.Lawn.Care
02-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Nope, it woudl look like this

Fuse (cold side) ------------switch-----------Horn Relay

This way, it takes the switch to send the power to the relay and activate the horn.