PDA

View Full Version : reversed throttle

perky99
02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Tecumseh, tvs 90 46009a 4129j After having problems with no change in speed by moving throttle. With you guys out there got that going, only thing is ,its in the reverse, meaning lever all the way back is fast instead of other way. Thank goodness this is a hobby not a bussiness. Retired thanks

Restrorob
02-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Finally got a chance to use my new scanner ! :cool2:

The pic. below says it all.

perky99
02-08-2007, 11:03 AM
restrorob, I have that same picture and almost sure thats the way I have it. I will recheck tho and trust your thoughts for you probally beem at it a very long time. Your scanner works great, and thanks a bunch Larry;;Perky99

perky99
02-13-2007, 12:24 PM
restorob, The linkage is as the picture you sent ,still in reverse. I give up

Restrorob
02-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Somebody hasn't replaced the throttle cable by chance have they ? There are reverse pull controls or you could have installed the cable on the wrong end on the carb. control plate.

perky99
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Restrorob. There,s an unknown on the cable, looks original. AS for the carb hook up, At one time I had it on the opposite side and thats when I had no change at all. Your diagram helped me there. Is there some thing I,m missing on the governer adjustment? I really appreciate all your help. The problem all started when oil was introduced in the gas and I thought the carb needed cleaning so thats where we are at. Thanks Larry

Restrorob
02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Well Larry, Did you do anything with the two screws below ?

I'm sure the problem is simple if only I could SEE this thing, You don't by chance have a digital camera to post some pics do ya ?

FIXDISS
02-13-2007, 11:37 PM

I'm sure the problem is simple if only I could SEE this thing, You don't by chance have a digital camera to post some pics do ya ?
Rob. Any chance the throttle cable is attatched to wrong side of the throttle plate ? Don't know if Perky had cable disconnected before but wouldn't that explain it working backwards if linkage is connected correctly ? I ain't too keen on attatching images on posts but looking at the throttle plate it appears the cable could be mounted from either side of the plate. Just bouncing an idea off you .

Restrorob
02-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Rob. Any chance the throttle cable is attatched to wrong side of the throttle plate ?

Thanks for the reminder FIXDISS. :)

you could have installed the cable on the wrong end on the carb. control plate.

At one time I had it on the opposite side and thats when I had no change at all.

FIXDISS
02-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Looks like you mentionned that in a previous post. My bad but Perky may not have caught it.

Restrorob
02-14-2007, 12:08 AM
No "bad" FIXDISS ! We all overlook simple things sometimes.

FIXDISS
02-14-2007, 12:12 AM
No "bad" FIXDISS ! We all overlook simple things sometimes.
duh huh ! :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

perky99
02-14-2007, 11:47 AM

I do not have the screw on the carb. And yes the one on the governer has been changed. As for a digital I have one but I have enough trouble getting around this wonderful site as it is, don,t know if I could attach it Thanks Larry

perky99
02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Restrorob There is no screw and yes the governer cable,adjustment has been changed, moved,etc.And I do have a mental block on how to adjust these governer lever. I do have a digital but feel I,d have trouble getting it on this forum with the attachment, I might give it a try when the weather warms a bit. Texas isn,t always warm.Thanks Larry

perky99
02-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Restrorob. I,m going to try and send your picture back with my comments.Thanks Larry

Restrorob
02-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Restrorob There is no screw

WOO Larry, Are you saying the small screw and spring below is not there ???

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Restrorob/TVSThrottlePlate.jpg?t=1171510169

If so that's why you have no throttle. When the cable is moved that screw bumps against and moves the lever which pulls the link with the spring then pulls the governor arm toward the carb. increasing engine RPM.

If you did loosen the screw on the governor arm below is the proper adjustment procedure.
Sorry it's crooked, It's only my second scan....

perky99
02-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Restrorob. I,m saying there is no high speed adjusting screw at all. As your picture indicated there are two levers, one with a small spring on the end of it, and a solid one. I took your picture and printed it. made comments and notes,scanned it back to computer and managed to attach to messege. Its in the forum some where cause I have seen it under my attachments. I don,t understand how to send attachment to well. I well keep trying and I think you,ll see what I,m talking about if you can see it. Thanks Larry

Restrorob
02-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Go to your attachments in your user CP, Delete that attachment because it can only be attached once. Once deleted come to this thread, Click on reply to thread. Type what ever message you want then scan down, It says manage attachments, Click on that and a box will pop up, Click on browse and your computer files will appear. Click on the file you want to attach and the box with your files will disappear and the file you want to up-load will be in the browse box then click load, When it says file up-loaded click on close this box on the upper right corner. Then click submit reply on the bottom.

Hope I didn't loose ya !

perky99
02-15-2007, 04:27 PM
restorob. Lets see if I can. There is and never has been a fast screw. I,ll attempt to explain what I got as well. The solid link is as your pic indicates. The other one, with little spring goes to the opposite side of where its shown. The throttle cable is where you got the one with the spring is. Hope this makes sense, I will try and sent the attachment now Thanks Larry

FIXDISS
02-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Rob can tell you for sure but I believe the linkage is correct but maybe you have the throttle cable hooked to the wrong arm on throttle plate. I believe it should be attached to the lever where you have the big dot and the cable positioning fastener should mount on the actual throttle plate.

FIXDISS
02-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Ok. Upon further review from what you noted . The lower rod on governor lever (one with the spring) should be connected to the lower lever on throttle plate (you noted your throttle cable was currently connected there),and the throttle cable connects to the second hole in the upper lever of throttle plate.(the hole below the big dot in you image) .

perky99
02-15-2007, 06:03 PM
fixdiss,Looks like that would be a lot of heavy crossing over and surely some binding. Now that I can add attach. I,ll just take a super close up and send it. Sorry to be such a pest, this site and you guys are great. Thanks Larry That is when the weather breaks. It,s not always in warnTexas either

FIXDISS
02-15-2007, 06:17 PM
fixdiss,Looks like that would be a lot of heavy crossing over and surely some binding. Now that I can add attach. I,ll just take a super close up and send it. Sorry to be such a pest, this site and you guys are great. Thanks Larry That is when the weather breaks. It,s not always in warnTexas either

I wish I could work with the image and highlight for you .The one Rob sent clearly shows your two rods on governor lever . Top rod goes to carb and lower one goes to the hole where you currently have your throttle cable as noted in your image. Remove the throttle cable and put the top rod in that hole and attach the throttle to the hole below big dot in your image and it should be right.

Restrorob
02-15-2007, 08:15 PM
The very first pic. I posted is showing the throttle control plate un-screwed and flipped up so the bottom side can be seen. That may be causing the confusion.

Here is another pic. showing how and where the linkage is supposed to hook. Also you notice the throttle control plate mounting screw holes are slotted, The engine rpm can be changed by sliding the plate in these slots.

Also, When installing the link with the spring install it from the bottom of the lever.

perky99
02-16-2007, 11:04 AM
restorob, That is axactly the way this thing is hooked up. Same carb less adjusting screws. So maybe its always been backwards or the cable been changed, Think we will live with it. Thanks a ton you guys Perky99