PDA

View Full Version : Can o' Worms

PurpHaze
02-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Went out on a project to replace brass right angle valves with PVC ball valves on a manual system. Ran into the nightmare in the first picture. To top it all off there is no way to turn off the water to the RA valve except by shutting down the site's entire domestic water supply. We had wanted to remove the RA valve and install a ball valve as an isolation valve but had to leave it alone. It will now become the isolation valve for the new ball valve. The close-up of the galvanized pipe shows that the plumbers that originally installed the RA valve went from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" and back to 1-1/2".

Other end of the system was pretty straight forward as can be seen in the last picture.

Armadillolawncare
02-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Purple I have a question for you. I have been reading a lot of the irrigation posts lately and trying to learn what I can. One of the things I picked up from you guys is that it is preferable to leave enough pipe between valves and connections and such to be able to make repairs. Can you explain why you did not space out your 3 valves a bit more to leave some repair room. In case I am not making sense to you I am talking about the 2 Ts and 1 90 that lead to what look like shut off valves to me. Shouldn't there be more space between the Ts and 90s? I am not trying to be a smart ass I am just trying to understand what you guys are saying and then I am trying to apply it. Thanks for your help.

Repairs
02-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Purple I have a question for you. I have been reading a lot of the irrigation posts lately and trying to learn what I can. One of the things I picked up from you guys is that it is preferable to leave enough pipe between valves and connections and such to be able to make repairs. Can you explain why you did not space out your 3 valves a bit more to leave some repair room. In case I am not making sense to you I am talking about the 2 Ts and 1 90 that lead to what look like shut off valves to me. Shouldn't there be more space between the Ts and 90s? I am not trying to be a smart ass I am just trying to understand what you guys are saying and then I am trying to apply it. Thanks for your help.

He is manifolding the valves there so that he doesnt have valve boxes all over the place. He can fit those valves inside one large box that way. It is always preferable to leave room, but their are situations that out weigh that general rule. On the large sites like he is working there are many benifits to having fewer boxes, the biggest being one box is easier to find than three.

Repairs
02-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Went out on a project to replace brass right angle valves with PVC ball valves on a manual system. Ran into the nightmare in the first picture. To top it all off there is no way to turn off the water to the RA valve except by shutting down the site's entire domestic water supply. We had wanted to remove the RA valve and install a ball valve as an isolation valve but had to leave it alone. It will now become the isolation valve for the new ball valve. The close-up of the galvanized pipe shows that the plumbers that originally installed the RA valve went from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" and back to 1-1/2".

Other end of the system was pretty straight forward as can be seen in the last picture.

Glad it was you and not me buddy. Looks good. :clapping:

Armadillolawncare
02-08-2007, 09:07 AM
OK that makes sense to me. Thanks

PurpHaze
02-08-2007, 09:19 AM

Very good question. The main reason is as Repairs noted; the wish to confine the three valves in a single jumbo box for tidiness in the front of this school site. Had these been our regular 2" or 3" Irritrol Century Plus automatic valves then I would have resorted to maintaining adequate space between the valves and sticking to our "one valve, one box" normal mode of installation. But the supply line would have been larger (probably in the 3" to 4" range) and the valves attached in an angle configuration instead of the globe configuration of the ball valves. A 2" supply line to us is like others' 1" lines... rather small and easy to work with.

With the quality of materials we use and our installation methods I'm really not too concerned about future problems of having to go in and repair at the tees and 90s you noted. However, we left plenty of space between the manifold and the ball valves themselves so that future repairs could be made. It would entail replacing the manifold as a unit and gluing it onto the fixed position of the supply side of the ball valves but there's actually enough room that we could do this twice with couplings if need be.

PurpHaze
02-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Glad it was you and not me buddy. Looks good. :clapping:

Your time will come. It seems that whenever we discuss a tricky situation here someone runs into it in short order. :)

Rain permitting, we have to go back today, put the one remaining lateral line (that actually comes from one of the valves in the last picture 250' away) back together and then install a box. We had to cut this lateral line out because roots had started flattening the 1-1/4" side of it and it'd only be a matter of time before it totally cracked and leaked.

Repairs
02-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Your time will come. It seems that whenever we discuss a tricky situation here someone runs into it in short order. :)

Rain permitting, we have to go back today, put the one remaining lateral line (that actually comes from one of the valves in the last picture 250' away) back together and then install a box. We had to cut this lateral line out because roots had started flattening the 1-1/4" side of it and it'd only be a matter of time before it totally cracked and leaked.

Alliright, allright, I will get the camera and get ready so I can share the fun when the time comes. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Alliright, allright, I will get the camera and get ready so I can share the fun when the time comes. :laugh:

Yippee... another convert. :)

PurpHaze
02-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Went out this morning and turned on the "isolation" right angle valve and it was shooting up water through the stem seal. Had to perform some surgery on it and replace the stem seal and then all was well again. :)