PDA

View Full Version : RainBird Easy Fit Compression Fittings

HooKooDooKu
02-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Can anyone provide any information on these new drip irrigation fittings?

RainBirds marketing material makes them sound like the best thing since sliced bread (but isn't that the purpose of any marketing department?).

From what I can tell (because it isn't spelled out) it looks like they have these three sets of compression fittings (coupling, elbow, and tee) and they can take a range of tubing sizes AND adapters.

The marketing claims that it's a quick and easy system to install, but I don't see ANY references as to weather you can ever take anything back apart.

I'm going to be finishing up my drip irrigation system this summer, and IF these parts are easy to disconnect, I'd be interested in them. My design includes check valves (so that gallons of water don't soak the one plant at the bottom of the hill when the system shuts off), so I've got to do more disassymbly when I drain the system for winter.

SprinklerGuy
02-08-2007, 08:05 AM
These aren't new..unless they are "new and improved"....I used them the last two seasons exclusively because I hate using barbed fittings for drip...and the regular fittings I'm used to are hard to push on the tubing when it is cold...I am a wimp.

I love them, I only have them in use for 2 seasons but have yet to have any problems with them...they are easy to install.

HooKooDooKu
02-08-2007, 10:38 AM
They seemed new to me because I just came accross them for the first time yesterday. Of course I'm not a professional like many of the posters here. I've just been slowly working over time to install my own irrigation system.

But in any case, that sounds like at list one vote of support that the stuff is easy to install. But again, what about the un-install? Once you put this stuff together, can you easily take it apart? Repeatedly? (Again, for annual maintainence reasons).

londonrain
02-08-2007, 10:43 AM
If you are looking for something that can be taken apart, these might not be what you are looking for.
If you pull hard enough on the tube you can get them apart. They have a little plastic insert that you can put back in the fitting with out damage.

SprinklerGuy
02-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Taking them apart hasn't ever been a problem for me.....however....I haven't ever tried to take them apart.

Use them...and than use a fitting you can get apart easily in the areas you want that option.

Tada! That will be $100 bucks.

HooKooDooKu
02-08-2007, 12:45 PM
...Use them...and than use a fitting you can get apart easily in the areas you want that option. ...

I guess that's what I'm looking for, the quick disconnect part, or at least an imporvement over what I've come up with so far.

I'm currently using Mister (R) Landscaper fittings from Lowe's (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71221-1029-MLF36) because they basically screw on and off. I'd like to find something that's even better since the screw threads obviously bite into the outside of the hose each time you take them off.

So I wondered if I could use an Easy Fit Coupling and Adapter togehter to work as a quick disconnect.

Dirty Water
02-08-2007, 05:11 PM
I used to use Agrifim or Netafim compression fittings, they come in sizes from 3/8" to .620 to .700 (Netafim tubing is metric).

Most compression fittings that are one piece are non removable (unless you really rank on them).

Compression fittings that constitute of a fitting and a collar piece are easily dissasembled.

Wet_Boots
02-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't waste much time looking for take-it-apart drip fittings and pipe.

Dirt Boy
02-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Don't know exactly what you have laid out, but I have just used the "figure 8" fitting. At the end of a run, these little guys slip over tubing then you fold the tubing back over and insert into the other "loop".
When you drain the system, I just went around, pull the fitting off, blow out the entire line, and replace.

HooKooDooKu
02-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Don't know exactly what you have laid out, but I have just used the "figure 8" fitting. At the end of a run, these little guys slip over tubing then you fold the tubing back over and insert into the other "loop".
When you drain the system, I just went around, pull the fitting off, blow out the entire line, and replace.

Now in the end, I might just wind up deciding it would be just better if I desinged the system to blow it out for the winter. But since I live in the south, the system could likely handle no winterizing (except for the sections above ground).

In any case, their's two major things I've designed for:
#1. The use of check valves so that the drip system won't drain onto the lowest plant in the system.
#2. I don't want to blow out the system, I want to just drain it at the end of the year.

I've got the part for draining behind the check valves ok. I've using copper elbow with drain plug where the system comes above ground within flower beds. I'm using the figure 8's on the far end of the drip. So the only thing else I've go to do is allow for an easy way to disconnect the other end of the drip tubes so that they will drain on their own.

I also like the fact that the disconnect after the check valves allows me to keep the complicated plumbing basically below ground, while if anything happens to the drip tubing and emmitters above ground, it's a (relatively)simple task to replace everything back to the point it comes out of the ground. But my drip system (run from irrigation valves, not garden hose bibbs) runs to several places in the yard, a yard on a hile.
This all has to do with how I've desined the system.
I've got the figure 8 on the end of the lines. But I've got two additional
I'm currently using the "figure 8" on the end of the drip tubes. But what I've tried to design is a system where I don't have to blow the system out but can just let the system drain.