PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

bumper
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
So...we were approaced by NASE, Mega life insurance couple days ago. We currently are privately insured with Kaiser. My wife owns a landscape company and I of course own mine. As we are self employed this rep from National Association for Self Employed was all over the benefits of signing up with them and their health insurance. I did a quick search and found several negative leads on Mega from being booted from Georgia and Washington to failure to pay their end on deductibles. Anybody have any experience with them??

Ric3077
02-08-2007, 10:43 AM
They have not been very good to us....once we have our baby in a couple days, we are switching to ANTHEM BC/BS. They are ALL TALK....they act like how could you not choose us? But it is a huge scam...like you said everything on the web about them is bad...nothing good! The rep promised us MANY benefits when in fact you don't get them...he quoted us $314/month and said "you get ALL those benefits" when in fact we got nothing he was talking about it was ALOT more to get "all those benefits"...run while you can!

Repairs
02-08-2007, 10:44 AM
So...we were approaced by NASE, Mega life insurance couple days ago. We currently are privately insured with Kaiser. My wife owns a landscape company and I of course own mine. As we are self employed this rep from National Association for Self Employed was all over the benefits of signing up with them and their health insurance. I did a quick search and found several negative leads on Mega from being booted from Georgia and Washington to failure to pay their end on deductibles. Anybody have any experience with them??

I used to have that insurance, of the little I can remeber of it seems like the payout was extremely small on claims, and that is why I changed. I do think their are better options. They normally have really good salesman though.

Ric3077
02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
The payouts are very small he is right...think of it more as a discount plan than insurance

Hank Reardon
02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
We had them for a while. The benefits aren't great but it was better than nothing when our budget was tighter.

When we incorporated, we found out that our state did not recognize them as an approved insurer. Oh sure, they license them ok but they don't approve of their practices. (WTH?) What it came down to was our new provider (Regence) did not cover any pre-existing conditions for 90 days. Not too bad on our household but this could be a big problem with someone. Basically, Washington State approved insurers consider you "uninsured" if you have/had them so you have the introductory period.

bumper
02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
All good info...certainly not what the rep is claiming to be true. I did a little more checking and found this question which should be asked but we failed. What is the max per year out of pocket expenses? They tout the 4.5k per year as meeting the deductible but this is per occurence not per year and if heaven forbid a serious accident or illness happens there is no max out of pocket that we can see, bottom line we could be on hook for several thousands of dollars. Anybody know this to be untrue?

Repairs
02-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Keep looking. This insurance is crappy. Are the post above not enough of an indicator? The sales guys are really good and give all this fancy materials, then that is the last you will hear of them. Dont do it.

Ric3077
02-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Repairs is right....I tried to call my sales rep a million times to confront him on some things he mislead me on....he never calls back, never answers, never replys to emails...do yourself a favor and don't even answer the phone if he calls.

Remote Pigtails
02-08-2007, 06:54 PM
I can only speak from my experience but I strongly suggest you look into the benefits of a Health Savings Account (HSA) used to be called a Medical Savings Account. I have mine through Golden Rule. It is basically a high deductible medical but the savings portion of it is like an IRA that you use to pay medical bills up to the deductible. For example I can put up 5280.00 in a mutual fund IRA per year before taxes which continues to grow and helps with future old age medical bills. It's like having another IRA deduction that helps with current and future medical bills.

Remote Pigtails
02-08-2007, 07:23 PM
To further my point. Grab your 2005 1040. Look at line 25. On mine I have 5250.00 in that spot. Look at line 29. I have 7,243.00. Now go to line 43. That number is reduced (Which is your taxable income) by the amount of these two numbers. I don't like being broke because the gov't tells me how to allocate my money in order to save on taxes but the end result is I have good health insurance and am saving for old age health costs.

Armadillolawncare
02-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Check this out before buying Mega
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff131154.htm

bumper
02-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Appreciate the info. Certainly decided against Mega and NASE enrollment