PDA

View Full Version : 17hp kawasaki problems

luke125
02-08-2007, 10:45 PM
hey guys my school has a john deere i think its a 325 and we use it to drag the baseball field it has like 230 hours on it and not much maintence lately its been backfiring and i haven't been able to get it started. when i cranked it it just seems to be building up to backfire and then it does it. the weird thing was it was running the other day just fine.

this engine has a 17hp kawasaki and it seems to have just one big cylinder
i'm pretty much the only guy that has a clue on how to fix this and i haven't had any of these problems with my equipment so im pretty much helpless on this one

i tried to look at the spark plug but didn't have anything to take it out with since it was so big

im on the baseball team and i think my coach would like me a bit little more if i could help him out so any help would be great

Bill Kapaun
02-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Is there a chance some water could have gotten in the fuel? Even condensation can be a problem. More so if the tank is nearly empty and has a lot of air space in it.

Restrorob
02-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Check the basics, Fuel/water as bill said, Spark plug, Air Filter etc.

Could be the seat safety switch, Some units will crank over fine but won't start unless your in the seat, It's possible the switch is not making good contact or loosing contact while bouncing around on it causing the backfire.

luke125
02-09-2007, 08:31 AM
i appricate it guys ill check it out

DJL50
02-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I know this does not help with the repair issue of your mower but I used a 17HP Single cylinder Kawasaki for 20 years and when you turned the engine off it would backfire 8 out of 10 times. This is the nature of single cylinder Kaws.

Mr Priceless
02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
remind me to only get v twin kaws:dancing:

MowerMedic77
02-09-2007, 04:01 PM
when you turned the engine off it would backfire 8 out of 10 times. This is the nature of single cylinder Kaws.

That would be news to me:confused: Having worked on hundreds of single cylinder engines over the last 14 years, I would say that was an issue with your particular engine.

EMTDUCK1984
02-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Try Cutting It Off At Full Throttle Should Help

DJL50
02-09-2007, 11:55 PM
That would be news to me:confused: Having worked on hundreds of single cylinder engines over the last 14 years, I would say that was an issue with your particular engine.

For several years I use to sell mowers and had a lot of contact with sales reps and mechanics and the subject came up more than once that single cylinder engines with that much horsepower would backfire when turned off. I could stop the engine and it would be 4-6 seconds before it would backfire.

MowerMedic77
02-10-2007, 06:49 AM
That would be an issue like EMTD stated. The units would be run long periods of time allowing the mufflers to be red hot and then dropped down to idle right before the user shut off the unit. Then if the exhaust valve stayed open when the engine finally stopped, this allowed unburned fuel to ignite in the muffler.

EMTDUCK1984
02-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks Mm 9 Times Out Of 10 Thats The Solution