PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram 4500/5000 Heavy Duty Chasis Cab

jtkplc
02-09-2007, 09:45 AM
They were introduced Feb. 7 at the Chicago Auto Show.

http://www.dodge.com/dodge_life/news/autoshow_news_07/08_chassis_cab.html

turfquip
02-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Wow! Nice...

I'd set mine up with the longest wheel base, 5500 chassis, 4X4, crew cab, manual tranny, SL 145 swaploader.

We looking at around 80K :hammerhead:

Actually, I'll stick with my ten year old class 6 for now but it is nice to dream...

Accu-cut Lawn Care
02-09-2007, 10:17 AM
It's great seeing a HD Dodge cab and chassis. The looks and the specs are awesome. Next year I'll have one parked in my driveway.:usflag:

mrusk
02-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I do not care what anyone says but i think Dodge is adventually going to do better then Ford and GM. Dodge really seems to be coming out with some good vehicles.

IMO Ford and GM really only have their trucks going for them. Besides the mustang, there are no exciting cars out there. Dodge seems to keep on making some interesting cars that people can get excited about.

I am really excited for these trucks. I love my 05' cummins. The cummins is the best desiel engine out there. I am sure dodge worked out all the bugs on these trucks since it took them so long to release it. Weren't they already being sold in mexico and other places?

Matt

Gravel Rat
02-09-2007, 05:47 PM
We will have to see how well Dodge does they were never known to produce a good cab and chassis truck.

The only think Dodge has going for them is Cummins if they didn't have that I doubt people would be buying Dodge trucks.

Tow truck service is the toughest on a truck if the tow truck guys don't snap the Dodge frame in half the truck should be proven.

Swampy
02-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Nice. Got to shoot this over to the owner. Were in the market of switching from Ford since they kind of ****ed him over on his F550. Blown Engine at 35K and wouldn't cover anything, after paying that off torque converter went.

J&R Landscaping
02-09-2007, 07:47 PM
I do not care what anyone says but i think Dodge is adventually going to do better then Ford and GM. Dodge really seems to be coming out with some good vehicles.

IMO Ford and GM really only have their trucks going for them. Besides the mustang, there are no exciting cars out there. Dodge seems to keep on making some interesting cars that people can get excited about.

I am really excited for these trucks. I love my 05' cummins. The cummins is the best desiel engine out there. I am sure dodge worked out all the bugs on these trucks since it took them so long to release it. Weren't they already being sold in mexico and other places?

Matt

From what a dealer told me, they have been using the 6.7L in millitary applications for 3-5 years or so. I still would give them a year or 2 to get the bugs worked out of them. The 3500 chassis cabs drove very well and had grea power even in the upper gears. I was kinda surprised. I am wondering how the new 6 speed auto they are introducing is going to perform.

jtkplc
02-09-2007, 10:02 PM
From what a dealer told me, they have been using the 6.7L in millitary applications for 3-5 years or so. I still would give them a year or 2 to get the bugs worked out of them. The 3500 chassis cabs drove very well and had grea power even in the upper gears. I was kinda surprised. I am wondering how the new 6 speed auto they are introducing is going to perform.

From what I've read so far by those who own them, it's an unbelievable tranny.

Lawn Enforcer
02-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Mopar or no car baby!

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 12:51 AM
We will have to see how well Dodge does they were never known to produce a good cab and chassis truck.

The only think Dodge has going for them is Cummins if they didn't have that I doubt people would be buying Dodge trucks.

Tow truck service is the toughest on a truck if the tow truck guys don't snap the Dodge frame in half the truck should be proven.

What is up with you and dodges? Did one beat your 1979 F450 up a hill one day?

I love my dodge cab and chassis truck. It has 240,000 and hauls everyday. Hell I hauled 4000lbs in the bed yesterday... hardly knew it back there. These trucks won't die. Overloaded daily and they just keep cummin.

Gotta love the new exhaust brake for these trucks... now ford and chevy will have to catch up!

Gravel Rat
02-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Dodge has been the poorest quality truck ever built maybe you flat landers can make Dodge last but out here your lucky to get 200,000kms 125,000 miles out of one.

Dodge trucks can't carry a load I seen 1 ton Dodges put a ton on them and the sucker is dragging on the ground.

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Well obviously you haven't been out of the house since 1994. Wake up man! Dodge makes an awesome truck.

It would take a hell of alot more than a ton to make my cab and chassis drag. Hell a couple weeks ago I had one pallet of block, a yard of crush and run, and pulled my 5k lb trailer loaded w/ a bobcat and my dingo. Yesterday, I had 4000 lbs of wet mud in the bed and hauled my 5k trailer w/ 4 pallets of sod(8000lbs). I dish it... it takes it. Sorry brotha... these trucks ain't junk. They just won't die!

Gravel Rat
02-10-2007, 02:07 AM
I'am a little biased when Ford trucks have dominated light truck sales in the area since the 70s when the Ford dealer started. Even with the problems Ford has had with some of the trucks people keep buying them because Ford trucks are the most durable truck.

Have to see how well the 4500 and 5500 Dodge does. I sure takes Dodge a long time to realize what their competition is building. It started with diesel trucks Ford and Chev started building diesel pickups in 81-83 Dodge didn't start till 89. Ford and Chev have been building 1.5 ton trucks since 88 it has taken Dodge 20 years to realize there is a market for a 1.5 ton truck :laugh:

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Who cares? I could care less what Ford and Chevy have going on... they don't have cummins. Point is they are all good trucks... Dodges are not junk. And it must be one hell of an engine... b/c they don't have to change designs every 3-4 years.

mag360
02-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I'am a little biased when Ford trucks have dominated light truck sales in the area since the 70s when the Ford dealer started. Even with the problems Ford has had with some of the trucks people keep buying them because Ford trucks are the most durable truck.

Have to see how well the 4500 and 5500 Dodge does. I sure takes Dodge a long time to realize what their competition is building. It started with diesel trucks Ford and Chev started building diesel pickups in 81-83 Dodge didn't start till 89. Ford and Chev have been building 1.5 ton trucks since 88 it has taken Dodge 20 years to realize there is a market for a 1.5 ton truck :laugh:

Dodge started in '78 or '79 then stopped. Ford got it right with the 6.9 but Chevy took a while to get a reliable diesel. We all know Dodge hit a home run with the cummins in '89 but it took 13 years to come up with an auto that would hold up behind it.
The 4500 and 5500 chassis should share an assembly line with freightliner and sterling.

BobcatBoy06
02-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Dodge is going to take over the light truck industry, why won't you hop if your ford and go to the nearest dodge dealer and see a new cab and chassis. They are the heaviest frame ever put on a one ton, I dunno how you can't get more than 125,000 miles on a truck either a cummings will go for 300000 no problem you don't hear people talking about the cummings blowing up.

Gravel Rat
02-10-2007, 05:20 PM
I know many Dodge trucks that are constantly being worked on because the poor quality. The tow truck industry has already proved the Dodges are junk with the frame cracking and snapping in half. The resource industry has proven that Ford trucks are tough.

The Cummins is a light duty engine you put one in a medium duty truck good luck in getting 300,000 miles out of it. The new 6.7 Cummins is a real throw away engine is a siamese block no way you can sleeve that.

We will see if Dodge can actually make any sales with the 4500 and 5500 trucks. If they are built like Freightliner quality that should really bring in the sales :laugh:

Just think if the gov't didn't bail out Dodge years ago they wouldn't be around today. Now a german company owns Dodge along with a bunch of other brands. Then the 4500 and 5500 are made by mexicans putting americans out of jobs :confused:

Its amazing how you Cummins lovers can't even spell the name right :hammerhead:

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I know many Dodge trucks that are constantly being worked on because the poor quality. The tow truck industry has already proved the Dodges are junk with the frame cracking and snapping in half. The resource industry has proven that Ford trucks are tough.

The Cummins is a light duty engine you put one in a medium duty truck good luck in getting 300,000 miles out of it. The new 6.7 Cummins is a real throw away engine is a siamese block no way you can sleeve that.

We will see if Dodge can actually make any sales with the 4500 and 5500 trucks. If they are built like Freightliner quality that should really bring in the sales :laugh:

Just think if the gov't didn't bail out Dodge years ago they wouldn't be around today. Now a german company owns Dodge along with a bunch of other brands. Then the 4500 and 5500 are made by mexicans putting americans out of jobs :confused:

Oh well, might as well come down to your level. Take your Ford and shove it... ain't no use arguing w/ somebody that does not know his ass from a hole in the ground.

mikes landscaping
02-10-2007, 06:18 PM
I get the diesel power magazine, and they tested the either 4500 or 5500, idk but it was the stake body, and they said they loved it. They said it held up great, but i don't know about? i guess well see.
-Pete

mrusk
02-10-2007, 06:24 PM

America has to outsource. We have no choice. There is no way we could produce all we consume in our own country. No way at all. Building it in mexico is not putting anyone out of a job.

JS Landscaping
02-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I dont mean to start a pissing match here or add fuel to the fire, but it sure does seem that a lot, im not saying all, but a lot of FORD owners seem to have this huge ego that thier truck is superior no matter what. Very cocky and arrigant. I have a Ford myself 2004 F-350 6.OL diesel. Sure its a great truck, but its nothing special like some think. You would think that some guys worship thier truck as if it was a God. All Brands have thier weak points and thier strong points, but its pretty much pointless to just bash a brand repeatedly for no reason. I have a 97 Dodge 2500HD as well, got 177,000 miles on the origional tranny. And this truck has pulled everyday a 20Ft enclosed trailer everday filled with mowers. I highly doubt that this Ford will make it to 177,000 on the origional tranny, i mean i sure hope it does, but from what i have seen from other guys that have them they arent as reliable and tough as some may believe and want to think. Well im done just thought id give my 2 cents. But definatly looking foward to this new line from Dodge, maybe something to replace this 350 with....a nice 5500 with Lpack and dump box. :cool2:

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I think they are all good trucks... Dodges just aren't junk though. I think both of mine will make it to 400,000 w/o any major work other than a tranny or two.

J&R Landscaping
02-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Them cummins engines are rated at 350-400 thousand miles before a re-build is required.(I think thats what it is, don't quote me!) The 5.9L cummins is a tested and proven engine and I think the new 6.7 will continue the legacy.

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 09:45 PM
It is 300,000 is there life expectancy, but it is not uncommon for them to do 400k-500k.

AtoZ
02-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Here we go -

I own three Ford vehicles and a Mazda sports car...

All brand new trucks except for the dump it's two years old...

A 150 crew 5.4 V8
A 250 V10
A 550 6.0 Diesel

All I can say is this - My next truck will be a 5500 GMC Duramax or a 5500 Dodge Diesel... Enough said.

I place a lot of faith in the Cummins legacy and Dodge engineering is getting better and better. But I also like the fact that GM is making medium duty chassis like the 4500 and 5500 and selling them in the light duty segment...

I love my 550 but want more... I cant afford a $80,000 medium duty truck like a F-650 or International or even a Peterbilt. So that's where GM and Dodge come in...

Lawnworks
02-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I love how those F550 crew cabs looks. Those GM 5500s look mean to.

I wish the Dodge 5500s were bigger like the new Chevy 5500s. The Dodge cabs look like the same as the 3500s.