PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Toyota Tundra - First Impressions

AtoZ
02-09-2007, 02:02 PM
I finally got sick of seeing new Tundra after Tundra drive by my dad's store. This morning before I went to work I went up to the Toyota dealer and talked to one of my very good clients - he also happens to be the number #1 Toyota salesman in the area...

After shooting the shi.... for a while I asked him what he though about the new Tundra's - he said they are a very good and capable 1/2 ton but they have a higher price point than the big three... An extended cab 4x4 5.7 litre V-8 high 20's low 30's...

He said go take the one sitting out front for a spin - bring it back whenever... Sure, I said!!!

Initial thoughts - Very quick, like driving a B grade sports car.

Visibility isn't that great

Lots of knobs, buttons, and lights

Traction control was awesome - I found some 100% snow covered/ice roads and the traction control was perfect.

Six speed auto tranny seemed very stout and predictable. The engine/tranny is what makes this 1/2 ton stand out from the rest.

Styling - a little different, interior of the cab is very car like and not exactly to my liking since I am used to more cab forward engineering like the big three...

Overall - impressed with the capability - didn't tow anything though. Should get good overall mileage with 380 hp and 400 lbs torque...

The nod would go to the Yota for the engine with 32 valve technology and double VVTI over GM, Ford and Dodge but overall build quality is similar or the same as any of the big three.

dave k
02-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Yea, they make quality cars and trucks, however until they come out with a 2500 series truck I'd have to pass, I sure do like them though. I have an 06 Chevy Crew Cab 4X4 2500 HD Diesel and love it, just turned 51k and no real problems.

AtoZ
02-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Chris at the Yota dealership said that they are coming out with a 3/4 ton pickup in 1-2 years...

That will be interesting....

Jason Rose
02-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I had an '03 Tundra myself. Loved the truck overall, but disliked the hauling capacity and small bed. Maybe the new ones are BIGGER, but I really felt that the Tundra was more comparable to the Dodge Dakota than a full size 1/2 ton truck. I KNOW it was smaller all around, my old houe had a small garage, a full size truck didn't fit and allow the door to go down, the Tundra fit with a foot to spare. Smaller width wise too. And I THOUGHT that engine was supposed to be fuel efficient... NOT HARDLY. A the time the Tundras were rated the WORST in fuel ecomomy compared to the big 3.

I could have fixed the rear end dropping with some overload springs, however the beds on these were pretty shallow as well.

Also Mine was BLACK, I didn't want black, Iv'e been down that road before had a black truck when I was in high school. They didn't have any others and I'm a "I want it now" kinda guy...

The interiors of these have came a long way since even '03. Mine was optioned out, other than leather, and compared to a GM truck it was STOCK on the inside. Seats, like all toyotas were hard and not that comfortable, leg room side to side was lacking. access cab was useless unless you had no legs or was a kid. Another problem with them, and this is a picky one, but there is NO PLACE to put a sound system in them! I talked to a couple installers and both said I was out of luck unless I was willing to loose the back seat or the center console! The rear seat has no empty space under it. I'm not a kid, I didn't want bass ratteling the windows, but I like good sound and one sub on an amp. Had to move back to a GMC truck to be able to have that again.

lawnboy dan
02-09-2007, 06:45 PM
i saw the new tundra today and can tell you the big 3 should be very afraid! its some kind of truck!

wriken
02-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Chris at the Yota dealership said that they are coming out with a 3/4 ton pickup in 1-2 years...

That will be interesting....

Wonder if its a gasser or diesel?

pclawncare
02-09-2007, 08:26 PM
I have herd talk that they may use the diesel that they currently use in their cab overs. I dont know if this is true but knowing toyota if they think they can make it in that market they will go there. Looks like to me they are heading in that direction of the HD trucks 3/4 to 1 ton

jsf343
02-10-2007, 02:27 AM
I saw them at my local dealer today as well, although I didn't stop in from what I saw they look really sharp. Another interesting bit of news that I heard from the dealer last year was that not only are they bringing a 3/4 ton
on line but A hybred engine is in the works, very similar to the hybred highlander. Supposadly it will get better gas milage and have more power. Whether that is true or not I don't know because I have not seen or heard that lately. Anyone else hear of anything like that? I know that type of a truck may not be for everyone but 5 or 10 years down the road when gas prices are $5.00/gallon it may not be too bad to have.

wriken
02-10-2007, 08:00 AM
The dealer I got my 3500 dodge thru, has a toyota dealership also. If they come out with a diesel, I may have to try it. Heck even the 401 torque of the gasser is'nt too bad. Wonder at what rpm's it max's its torque at.

AtoZ
02-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Going by the manual - 90% of the 5.7L V8's peak torque of 401 lb. is on tap from just 2,400 rpm all the way up to 5,500 rpm...

According to the graph I have - peak torque comes in @ 3,600 rpm...

It has a 4.300 rear axle with the big V8.

If Toyota does in fact come out with heavier light duty trucks like the American 3/4 & 1 ton. They will have a diesel option. Toyota has been making their own diesel engines for decades. For some reason or another very few US automakers make their own diesels - Duramax is made by Isuzu, Powerstroke is made my International/Navistar Corp, 5.9 & 6.7 ISB by Cummins.

GM and Ford have talked at length about offering smaller inline or V6 diesels in their SUV's and light 1/2 ton trucks for a while. But they haven't yet - at least in the Continental US.

I for one would by a 1/2 ton diesel in a heartbeat.... From any of the truck manufacturers...

dwc
02-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm not a Ford fan but I just cant see a Yote emblem on this thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Super-Duty-CrewCab-Dually-F-450-2008-Ford-Super-Duty-Dually-CrewCab_W0QQitemZ230088583288QQihZ013QQcategoryZ6057QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

davidcalhoun
02-10-2007, 01:01 PM
I spent some time looking at all the 1/2 ton trucks at the Chicago Auto Show yesterday.

The new Toyota 1/2 ton Tundra does have a lot going for it. No rational person is going to mistake it for the old Tundra. It's BIG and leads the class in almost every catogory.

The new 08 Nissan 1/2 ton Titan truck will also have some things going for it. You will be able to get a 8 foot bed option on an extended cab truck. And for us guys who would like to have a bed longer than 5' 6" on a 1/2 ton crew cab, the Nissan Titan crew cab will have the option for a 7' long bed.

The interior on the new GM 1/2 ton twins is top notch. Very comfortable and well laid out. I just wish they had not done away with their Quadrasteer option back in 2005.

Forgetting about 1/2 tons for a minute, If you want the biggest, badest pickup, look at the new International Xtreme series. This will not only set you apart from the other trucks, it will also set you apart from you cash.