PDA

View Full Version : Utility trailer tips...

matthew horner
02-09-2007, 09:25 PM
I am getting ready to take a basic Tandem Axle utility trailer frame and build away! I have metal and lumber and a welder and nails!

I am looking for tips. If you could build one from scratch, what would you put on it, now that you have the benefit of hindsight! Pictures would be excellent!
Thanks,
Matthew

Rons Rightway Lawncare
02-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I would put the axles a tad further back than they usually are, this would help the trailer to not fishtail going down the road.

Also if you are willing to spend a little more money, go with rubber torsion axles over the old style left springs....

matthew horner
02-09-2007, 09:37 PM
I've got airbag shocks that I can inflate/deflate to level the trailer, which helps A LOT with any fish tailing. Aren't they called "leaf" springs?
M

D Felix
02-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Put the wiring in sealed conduit. I've had to deal with WAY too many wiring problems where the wiring wasn't enclosed...

If you are using leaf springs, I assume you have equalizer bars between the two axles?

Ramps or gates? Attached jackstands?

What are you planning on using the trailer for? Without knowing the intended use, it's hard to say for sure what details I'd be thinking of...

matthew horner
02-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Equilizer bars? Can you describe these please?
I'll be using it to haul equipment primarily. Mostly mowers and a kubota tractor from time to time. Maybe a car here and there. I'd like to make a way to put removable sides on it for mulch hauling. I'd also like a side ramp for a 36" walk behind. Good suggestion on the jack stands.

Thinking about trimmer racks, equipment box, spring assisted gate...

D Felix
02-11-2007, 10:21 AM
If you are using leaf springs on a tandem axle trailer, equalizer bars are a necessity! It's been a while since I looked at one very closely, so my memory on how they are installed is a little fuzzy, but essentially the bar is attached to the trailer frame in the middle of the bar. This is where the bar pivots. Then each leaf spring pack from each axle attaches to the bar on their respective ends.

The function of the bar is to force one axle down when the other axle hits a bump, or vice versa. I believe these bars (on leaf spring trailers) is why they pull so much more smoothly than a single axle trailer.

For removable sides, use some 2x4 pockets welded to the outside of the frame. Or another custom size and build sides out of a metal framework and expanded steel mesh. Put tie-down points in the trailer bed- you won't regret it!

Good luck, I expect some pics when you get it done!

02powerstroke
02-11-2007, 12:53 PM
If your going to be hauling cars and a tractor I would deff make or get a set of ramps like the ones on my trailer(in my sig, if you want a better pic ask) cause when you load somthing heavy like a tractor with out the ramps with legs it can put alot of negitve pressure on the couple. I had an older bobcat trailer with out these and it would lift the back tires of the truck off the ground when loading and unloading. Also check, replace or repack you bearing so you dont end up losing a wheel. And I deff agree with D Felix about the wireing etheir put it in conduit or use the 7 wire cable and run it along the frame out of harms way.

jbailey52
02-16-2007, 10:24 PM
YEa.. spend $2500 on a used quality trailer.. and think about all the time you didnt waste

B. L. Landscaping
02-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I would agree it is sometimes better to just by something than spend all the time building it yourself.