PDA

View Full Version : Tilt or gated trailer??

thefed
02-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Im looking for an inexpensive trailer, and came across a nice tilt, 5x8 (yes, its all i need).

Anyone able to explain the pros and cons of a tilt??? Ive never had one, only used gated in the past.

tomo
02-10-2007, 10:51 AM
hello , looked into pre built or make your own .Decided to build my own after looking at many designs of either tilt / open or open with gate . I chose open standard type with gate .
Quality to look 4 in a tilt is agood repairable pivot system
Replaceable hold down latch ,which holds down tight .
Guide plates to locate tilt on to draw bar
As with all trailers locate axle under heaviest item then locate draw bar pivot within 6 inches of this
Use automotive, air or gas shocks between trailer and frame .This does 2 things it first stops tilt from crashing closed and in the up position it stays there.
I could not find many different designs on the tilt trailer mechanisms

tomo:waving: :waving:

ps the weight distribution ater u have loaded your equipment may effect the tilt operation ,it maybe poor eg willnot tilt up etc .Trial the unit in question if u can.

thefed
02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
hello , looked into pre built or make your own .Decided to build my own after looking at many designs of either tilt / open or open with gate . I chose open standard type with gate .
Quality to look 4 in a tilt is agood repairable pivot system
Replaceable hold down latch ,which holds down tight .
Guide plates to locate tilt on to draw bar
As with all trailers locate axle under heaviest item then locate draw bar pivot within 6 inches of this
Use automotive, air or gas shocks between trailer and frame .This does 2 things it first stops tilt from crashing closed and in the up position it stays there.
I could not find many different designs on the tilt trailer mechanisms

tomo:waving: :waving:

ps the weight distribution ater u have loaded your equipment may effect the tilt operation ,it maybe poor eg willnot tilt up etc .Trial the unit in question if u can.

great info, thank you!