PDA

View Full Version : Securing enclosed trailer - wheel locks?

FIRESCOOBY
02-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I just bought a new enclosed trailer a couple of days ago. Of course it is sitting outside of the house and will stay there. During the season it will most likely stay hooked up to my truck parked beside the house.

I bought a Masterlock trailer tongue lock and put it on. I've always used these sort of locks and felt pretty good about them. I've got a Gorilla guard on my open and feel a little more safe about it. (The locks I'm talking about are the type that has a ball go up into the slot and locks around the tongue.)

Well, yesterday and good friend was telling me about having his 8X16 Wells Cargo trailer stolen out of his driveway. He had a Gorilla Guard lock on it when it was stolen. They do crime scene clean-up and the trailer and equipment was worth $25-30k. They were paying insurance premiums, but had never sent in serial numbers for all the equipment, so ins company denied claim.

I looked online for some solutions. Was thinking about getting a wheel lock like the Rack'em magnum wheel lock. Has anyone tried anything like this? I haven't talked to ins guy yet, and probably won't until next week or so. Insurance is great, but I'd rather not have it stolen at all and have to wait another 2-3 weeks for a trailer, replace equipment, and pay deductible.

Thanks for the help.