PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid Question

Allens LawnCare
02-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Can you put an eletric start on a 36inch Metro, has anyone done this, how hard is it, any ideas on pricing

MikeLT1Z28
02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
it can be done, but i don't think it'd really be cost effective. you'd have to have the starter, the igntion switch assembly, a wiring harness, a battery mounted somewhere (more than likely on that metal area above the trans) and possibly a different engine shroud.

Willofalltrades
02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Not trying to be mean but.... Stop being a little girl and pull a cord or two! lol

Ok I'm messing with ya. I assume it has a 15hp.. Right? I would go to www.kawpower.com and see if they offer an option for it. If not... Doubt it.

MikeLT1Z28
02-11-2007, 11:17 PM
if it's like my metro, it's a 15hp but mine is a kohler.

Idealtim
02-11-2007, 11:19 PM
With a thread title like that, I have to read it, but anyways....

Like stated above, not cost effective. Yes it could be done, but it would probly be around$150-$200.00 to do it. And, it complicates the machine so there is more to go wrong and brake.

Allens LawnCare
02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Kohler command 14hp....and I started this as a side gig, now legit, and working towards leaving the darkside and enjoying work again, I enjoy Lawn Care work....Love the smell of mulch, Freshly cut grass, and making money for myself.....hate that one day cold start. rather turn a key if possible, I plan on keeping this machine for a while bought it off a home owner, its a 99 with 140hrs on it....stole it for $800 not to mention its in mint condition!!!

MikeLT1Z28
02-11-2007, 11:25 PM
not sure it if will help but the correct method for starting a kohler is to pull the starter slowly once till the compression release kicks in, then let it retract and pull it firmly (don't snatch the cord). if it was a home owner machine it may have a little gum in the carb. i know mine is 5 years old and it still starts easily for me.

ed2hess
02-11-2007, 11:30 PM
We looked at getting a starter for an 18khp on a WB and it was just too darm much....close to $400. If you can do all the work yourself you can probably reduce it some but a lot depends on whether your engine is starter ready. Post in the repair section with model an Rob will probably help you.

Allens LawnCare
02-11-2007, 11:31 PM
I had a surging problem half way through the season this year, local dealer rebuilt the carb....started great for a month, then I was told two things, first was there is a piece in the carb that can't be cleaned they hoped they fixed the problem buy rebuilding it. Next step was a new carb. Also with the alcohol content in new gas now a days, there is a piece in the carb that swells and caused the float to stick.....either way, I'm having a new carb ordered monday......I'll go from there!!

Restrorob
02-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Just a little info....

Starter 130.00
Flywheel 154.00
Stator 70.00
Regulator 44.00
And still need to purchase or build a wire harness.

If you didn't mind re-charging the battery over night every couple days you could go just the starter and flywheel and use a Snapper part# 12623 starter button.

hotrodsnapper
02-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I have a freshly rebuilt 15.5 OHV briggs w/ electric start. My problem is that you can't put a pull starter on it. All you would need to do is mount the engine (maybe drill a couple of holes), add a battery and wire up an ignition switch. More power than your current engine, although the kohler is admittedly a higher quality engine.

Holler at me if interested!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
It's bull,you pay over 4k for a hydro walk behind 36 incher and have to pull it.

lucforce
02-12-2007, 11:40 PM
There is an adapter that briggs made to add a recoil to the engines without the extended crankshaft. But, most people can't fire out how to start the larger displacement engines with a rope.