PDA

View Full Version : Best machine for a supply yard?

CNYScapes
02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
What is the best machine to load materials at a supply yard? And why? I will need to buy a new machine to load and I was wondering what everybody else uses.

Fick Supply
02-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Depends on how big the yard, how much product you need to move, what your surface is like, what you will be loading (truck size, height, etc)
lots of options
What do you use now?

CNYScapes
02-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Right now I use a skid steer. I am looking at all my options before a new purchase. The surface is just crushed stone. Loading is mostly pickup trucks and one ton dumps. Product is mulch and stone.

mcclureandson
02-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Look at the Kubota articulated loaders...

srl28
02-13-2007, 09:00 PM
How much are you looking to spend?? The kubota articulated ones are nice but over 50k I believe. A decent backhoe loader or landscape loader is often the next best thing.

Fick Supply
02-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Skid steers work well but will eventually tear up your surface.
For the money and multiple uses a skid steer is a great machine.
One of our customers use nothing but skids but they are on concrete 75% of the time. They buy and resell over 125 tractor trailer loads of mulch from us per year. Downside is the wear and tear on tires and lot. We use articulating loaders since we are on compacted gravel also.
Volvo makes some nice smaller loaders along with Deere and Cat.
Bobcat has a machine called a Versa handler (kind of like a Lull with a bucket)
Downside is when stepping up to articulated loaders they jump to the 50's for new. Have to look at dealer support strongly. You can't make money if it is down, especially on a sunny spring day.
All in all, a articulated loader over the long run will outlast and give you less wear and tear, but it is easy to spend someone elses money.

CNYScapes
02-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I am thinking maybe a backhoe loader. Then I could also put a snow blade on the front of it and use it in the winter for plowing a parking lot. At least that would support the payment all year long.

godzilla
02-18-2007, 12:54 PM
You could just go with a regular tractor with a 1 yard bucket. Probably the cheapest way to go. Otherwise you're looking at an articulated loader. Guys around here use machines with anywhere from 1 yard buckets to 4 yard buckets.

EgansCountryGardens
02-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I am a landscape contractor with a full service garden center. Currently we keep a CAT 236 Skid Steer in the store with a set of forks and a bucket. It works good for what we need. We can move mulch bulk or palletized, unload all of our trucks with the forks, and the machine is always there for regrading the main part of the nursery when it is slow. The only downfall is that we are getting into wholesaling Techo-bloc pavers and wall material, and the weight limitations on the machine are a problem.

thebobcatkid86
03-24-2007, 12:37 AM
I am no expert but I messed with a CAT 904B articulated at a trade show last year. One neat thing is it accepts all their large skid attchments as well as the regular compact articulated attachments. Depending on the size of your yard and your budget you might want to give it a look. I believe the CAT rep said the MSRP is right around $54k brand new.

dogsluvtrux
05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Take a look at the Bobcat A300 (All Wheel Steer/Skid Loader)...3000lbs of Rated Operating Capacity, Two Speed is nice if you have a big yard. It has both steerable axles (to keep from tearing up the rock and a skidsteer mode for tight areas.

APLSInc
06-09-2007, 05:02 PM
If you can afford it, and it is going to be a dedicated loader for trucks, a wheel loader is the way to go. We have 4 loaders; a Case 621c, Case321d, TCM 820, and a Case 40xt skid steer. We rarely use the skid steer, except on the smallest of trucks. The 321d is the most versitile loader. It can lift pallets and load trucks. More over it is safe and quick. Visibility is exceptional versus a skid steer, and they last a lot longer. We sell 10s of thousands of yards a year, and if I was to start over, a 1 yard wheel loader would be my starting machine.

coopers
06-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I like Deere so naturally I have to show you this. It is up there in price but a neat machine. These are also the newest versions too. One yard bucket, you can put pallet forks on it....

Blake
WA

Laketreefarm
07-06-2007, 07:31 AM
We have a 2004 Terex SCL 515 and 1980 Waldon 5000 for sale. The older 1980 Waldon is a very tough long lasting machine built for foundry use. Made in Oklahoma. Used open cab ROPS machine in good working condition (500 hrs. since we reconditioned it) for $7500.00. It lifts to dump truck height, has a 1 yard bucket with a new skid mount plate system (New Holland), and is two speed four wheel drive diesel hydrostatic. Loader pins are tight, new bucket cylinder, center articulation pin has some play, good tires and paint. It's made for yard use only.
We also have a 2004 Terex SCL 515 for $40K which is state of the art pilot controls, air cooled Deutz diesel, built in Germany, very fast and site useable with standard skid connection plate with 2/3 yard digging bucket. (Will handle a 1.5 yard bucket) has 650 hrs. comfortable, enclosed ROPS cab w/heat/fan/wipers/area lighting in like new condition. We getting bigger loaders at both of our tree farms as we're now digging/handling larger trees with 4-5' balls that require a bigger tree spade and loader to handle them. Can deliver.
www.laketreefarm
USDA Certified Organic speciman trees and shrubs.
:walking: Ren

CNYScapes
10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
It took a while but I finally bought a JCB 210S backhoe loader. Its got 4 wheel steering and the bucket is a .80 yard but I will modify it to hold 1 yard of material. This will be used mainly to load bulk materials at the yard but I am sure the backhoe will come in handy occasionally. 4800 lbs lift capacity, so it should have no problem lifting a yard of stone. Any body have any experience with one of these?

MowingisMaddness
02-15-2008, 11:44 PM
The Bobcat A300 would fit your needs nicely...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=215935&highlight=a300

2muchmulch4u
03-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I personally use a Case 580 super e loader. The only down side is the hoe is always in the way. But I could not beat the price 3 years ago $6500.00 If I had my wish or had a money man with bottomless pockets I would get a articulated loader in a heartbeat. Case, Deere, Cat just to name a few all have good machines

coopers
03-07-2008, 03:47 PM
I personally use a Case 580 super e loader. The only down side is the hoe is always in the way. But I could not beat the price 3 years ago $6500.00 If I had my wish or had a money man with bottomless pockets I would get a articulated loader in a heartbeat. Case, Deere, Cat just to name a few all have good machines

WOW, that is a good price for that hoe! Is it an extendahoe, you have any pics?

Love case backhoes.

Landrus2
03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=CNYScapes;2005962]It took a while but I finally bought a JCB 210S backhoe loader. Its got 4 wheel steering and the bucket is a .80 yard but I will modify it to hold 1 yard of material. This will be used mainly to load bulk materials at the yard but I am sure the backhoe will come in handy occasionally. 4800 lbs lift capacity, so it should have no problem lifting a yard of stone. Any body have any experience with one of these?[/Q

They are around 32.000 each. great yard machines they are used with around 1200 hours on them.:waving:

2muchmulch4u
03-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Do not even bother modifying that bucket by the time you give a heaping mound it will be close to a yard. That way if you give a flat bucket you can call it a half yard.

The bucket on my Case is 1.3yard when I bought it so I had to modify it by putting in a false bottom to hold 1 yard level. But the customer wants to see the heaping load. So I am still giving away to much.

2muchmulch4u
03-07-2008, 06:22 PM
It is not an extendahoe. The seals in the stabilizer pistons leak a little and the cab is a little torn to hell (cab heater stopped working last year)and I put new rear sneakers on it in 2006 and replace almost all of the front loader hydralics but for a machine built in 1985 it is a tank.

as soon as I take some pics of it and figure out how to get them of the camera I will post them

coopers
03-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Cool, thanks.

Blake