PDA

View Full Version : Towing F350 with F350

PGold
02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
My truck got towed tonight by an F350. I had the truck backed into a space, so the only possible way I can think of that the truck can be moved is by dragging the back wheels. I am not around tow trucks often, so I don't know if they have a solution to keep the back wheels from dragging. I saw tire marks on the ground, but I don't know if they are from my truck or previous vehicles. I saw my truck when it was leaving and it was being towed by a flat-bed f350. It seems like my truck plus the weight of the flat bed would put him way over limit. Is that the case?

lwcmattlifter
02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Usually they will drag the truck as is. I watched one get "snatched" and the driver pulled it about 50 feet until the trans park rod or the gear set broke. Once it breaks the truck rolls free. If the tow truck was towing (not hauling) your truck he was well within his GVWR or GCVWR

xcopterdoc
02-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Whay was the reason for towing like that? Repo? Stolen?? Most companies will remove the drive shaft if they have to tow it on the rear tires.

Uranus
02-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Repos will slowly drag your vehicle to a safe spot if they cant grap and go. They bring it down the street or to the other side of parking lots and let it go and hook up to the other side to tow it. Like said before if he was towing it with one set of wheels in the air then he is fine. The F 350 tow truck has a higher gvw then a regular factory f 350.

J&R Landscaping
02-12-2007, 10:14 PM
They can wheel lift it out of the spot if it is a standard wrecker or rollback. If its a self loader, the can pick it out of the spot and either re hook to the rear axle or just pop the drive shaft off. Removing the driveshaft is easy, takes about 3 minutes.

mrusk
02-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Can't wait to hear the rest of this story!

cutbetterthanyou
02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
I drove a tow truck for my dads shop before lawn care. I did it alot too much actually thats is why i do lawn care but thats another story.If the driver knowns what he is doing or cares your truck can be loaded safely w/ out damage but yes it will drag the tires . The correct way is to-1 hook up to your truck (with your truck in gear or parking brake on so the back wheels don't move but the front can)2 tilt the bed of the tow truck up with your front tires on the back of the bed 3 with the cable tight take the e brake off off the tow truck 4 winch the tow truck under your truck until the edge of the bed touches your back tires 5 the tow truck driver then can drag your truck 1-2 feet up on to the bed and chain it. This is how you tow something w/ no keys correctly w/ a rollback.if there was a wrecker or something w/ i wheel lift they shouldn't have dragged u at all. Although we didn't tow alot of heavy things i would say he probably isn't over the limit

PGold
02-13-2007, 12:46 AM
It being hauled, not towed. I parked in a tow away zone. I knew it was not a good idea, but I figured if I backed into the spot, they wouldn't be able to tow it. I didn't think they would just drag the rear tires across the ground. I was looking for an excuse to not pay and assumed that they were illegally towing my truck by putting it on their flat bed f350. I assume my truck weighs about 6000 pounds or more plus the weight of their flatbed. I wouldn't think an f350 would be allowed to carry 7,500 pounds, but maybe so. My B&W hitch is rated for a 7500 pound load in the bed, so maybe they were barely within limit. I just got the truck back and the tow fee was only 50 dollars, so I don't really care if they towed it illegally. Maybe next time they will drop it and their insurance will buy me a 6.0. :weightlifter:

zedosix
02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Do you think your parking pass would of been cheaper than $50.00 :)

d&rlawncare
02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Do you think your parking pass would of been cheaper than $50.00 :)

They were well within any WEIGHT limits set by state law. As far as what that vehicle is designed to haul. YES again they were within those limits as well. You cant tell anyone what they should or should not haul going on what there truck is RATED for. The rating just covers fords butt. Now if they got into a bad accident then a good lawyer will eat them alive if they were over the truck Rating. Here in MI that 2 axle flatbed tow truck gets 35,400 pound total weight. His empty weight is maybe 15,000 plus your 8000.

If I stop a 2 axle dump that weighs 28,000. 9000 on front steer axle and 19,000 on the rear axle. No weight violations even though the truck is rated for 26,000 pounds. The COMPANY is taking a risk overloading the truck over its rating. There will be more wear and tear on all the leaf springs, brakes, etc. If that truck is involved in an accident and I come do an inspection it gets noted on the inspection: the weight of the truck AND the rating of the truck. I have had lawyers use that as a case against many companies. They normally win due to the fact that the truck is not designed to haul that much weight.

Thats why ford sticks the rating stickers on the truck. It keeps them out of court.

cutbetterthanyou
02-13-2007, 12:21 PM
It being hauled, not towed. I parked in a tow away zone. I knew it was not a good idea, but I figured if I backed into the spot, they wouldn't be able to tow it. I didn't think they would just drag the rear tires across the ground. I was looking for an excuse to not pay and assumed that they were illegally towing my truck by putting it on their flat bed f350. I assume my truck weighs about 6000 pounds or more plus the weight of their flatbed. I wouldn't think an f350 would be allowed to carry 7,500 pounds, but maybe so. My B&W hitch is rated for a 7500 pound load in the bed, so maybe they were barely within limit. I just got the truck back and the tow fee was only 50 dollars, so I don't really care if they towed it illegally. Maybe next time they will drop it and their insurance will buy me a 6.0. :weightlifter:

Not trying to be smart, but the tow company didn't park your truck you did. Don't try to get them in trouble because you did wrong you said yourself you were wrong thats why you backed it in. The tow company that towed your truck didn't make the parking rules they were hired to work for where ever your truck was parked. To be quite honest if your truck was parked illegal and they did tear it up by dragging it they probably aren't liable because when you are illegal that isn't their problem. If they dropped it of a truck that would probably be another story

jim dailey
02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
I drove a tow truck for my dads shop before lawn care. I did it alot too much actually thats is why i do lawn care but thats another story.If the driver knowns what he is doing or cares your truck can be loaded safely w/ out damage but yes it will drag the tires . The correct way is to-1 hook up to your truck (with your truck in gear or parking brake on so the back wheels don't move but the front can)2 tilt the bed of the tow truck up with your front tires on the back of the bed 3 with the cable tight take the e brake off off the tow truck 4 winch the tow truck under your truck until the edge of the bed touches your back tires 5 the tow truck driver then can drag your truck 1-2 feet up on to the bed and chain it. This is how you tow something w/ no keys correctly w/ a rollback.if there was a wrecker or something w/ i wheel lift they shouldn't have dragged u at all. Although we didn't tow alot of heavy things i would say he probably isn't over the limit

NOW, there is a gentleman who knows how to tow. I have done it, off and on, for over 40 years. I would hire you in a minute. Hats off to you, SIR.

robbo521
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
would this have been at a boat show?they picked this one up with forlk lift and moved it over.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc33b3127cce81d5c00caf5900000016108IYtWjNwycK

IHI
02-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Okay, here I go.
If the tow company wanted too. They could have used Go-Jacks. They go under the drive tires and actually lift the wheels up and act like a roller skate, they also sell skates that go under the tires to for the same reason so you do not mess up transmissions, etc. Worst case scenario, they should have gone under and dropped the drive shaft. Check out AWdirect .com for info on the items I mentioned.

If it were my truck, I would have been mad.
If it really was only an F350 Rollback. The truck was way over the limit if yours was a 3/4-1 ton. See, the GVWR of an F350 is about 12-13 k. This means that the truck was built for a total weight (including itself) of 12-13 k. The tow truck with that rollback bed probrably weighed 11k or so empty, then add the weight of your truck 5-8k. He is over the limit. This if why most tow companies are running the larger rollbacks that have a 25900-26000 gvwr. It gives them what they need and don't need a CDL to drive one. If it was an older F350, his gvwr was even lower. Now if it was a F450 or F550, he may have been ok.

hosejockey2002
02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Lemme get this straight- you park in a marked "tow away zone", you back in because you think they won't be able to tow away, they tow you away anyway, and you try to get out of paying because you think it was an illegal tow because your truck is too heavy?:confused: :confused:
Obviously your truck was NOT too heavy because the truck did haul it away. If I did something so frickin' stupid as that I sure wouldn't post it on here.:hammerhead:

mrusk
02-13-2007, 11:11 PM
This is one of those threads that isn't going the way the starter thought it would!

cutbetterthanyou
02-13-2007, 11:13 PM
NOW, there is a gentleman who knows how to tow. I have done it, off and on, for over 40 years. I would hire you in a minute. Hats off to you, SIR.

thank you i appreciate it

IHI
02-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Oops. I didn't read the part that you knew you were in the wrong.
Although the tow truck was over on its rating, yeah you shouldn't be after the tow company for something you know was wrong in the first place. Sorry...

jim dailey
02-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Oops. I didn't read the part that you knew you were in the wrong.
Although the tow truck was over on its rating, yeah you shouldn't be after the tow company for something you know was wrong in the first place. Sorry...

I am going to partially disagree with this thinking. You have to look at the GROSS GVW of the vehicle, as it is set-up. Look at the gross GVW's of the rear-end setup. I used one, at one time, that had a rear-end set-up of 33,000 GVW's. No problems with weight ditribution in that vehicle. If you pick the argument of the limits of the operator's license, that is one argument. If you look at the capabilities of the tow vehicle, weight wise, that is an entirely different argument. Another argument, just for thinking, is the correct placement of the TOWED vehicle on the bed of the TOWING vehicle. Correctly placed, the weight is evenly distibuted, and therefore lessened.

d&rlawncare
02-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Okay, here I go.
If the tow company wanted too. They could have used Go-Jacks. They go under the drive tires and actually lift the wheels up and act like a roller skate, they also sell skates that go under the tires to for the same reason so you do not mess up transmissions, etc. Worst case scenario, they should have gone under and dropped the drive shaft. Check out AWdirect .com for info on the items I mentioned.

If it were my truck, I would have been mad.
If it really was only an F350 Rollback. The truck was way over the limit if yours was a 3/4-1 ton. See, the GVWR of an F350 is about 12-13 k. This means that the truck was built for a total weight (including itself) of 12-13 k. The tow truck with that rollback bed probrably weighed 11k or so empty, then add the weight of your truck 5-8k. He is over the limit. This if why most tow companies are running the larger rollbacks that have a 25900-26000 gvwr. It gives them what they need and don't need a CDL to drive one. If it was an older F350, his gvwr was even lower. Now if it was a F450 or F550, he may have been ok.

Are You saying the tow truck weighs 11k EMPTY and only has a GVWR 12-13? I dont think so. Why would you buy a tow truck that could only put on 2000-3000 pounds. Your right by saying that the tow probably had a GVWR of just under 26,000 pounds. It gives it room to put just about any SUV/Truck on the flat bed and still stay under the CDL regs. Most flat bed tow trucks have GVWR of 25,500- 32,000.

TGM
02-14-2007, 04:56 PM
even if the tow truck was over weight (registered or gvw), that has nothing to do with parking illegally. i'm also surprised at the ignorance to thinking they couldn't tow it. hell, in poland? (video on youtube), they put two big straps around parallel parked cars and lift it onto the back of flatbed trucks with an no-board crane.

IHI
02-14-2007, 08:24 PM
G& R, Jim Dailey,
If the truck is an F350, it won't have a gvwr much more than 12 or 13 k, cuz the f450 have one of 15k and the f550 with 4x4 are 17,500 and 19k without 4x4. Peek at the tag inside the door and you'll see what I'm talking about. If the truck was a larger one with an overall gvwr of 26k or 33k, yes it was within it limits.
Yeah, it sounds crazy that there are tow trucks out there with safe ability to tow about 2-5k on their bed. The towing industry has come a long way and they are very prudent about being safe. This is why most of them are now running the bigger trucks, with larger brakes, etc. The f350 would probably handle the other f350 on the bed, but the truck was not built to carry that much weight. In the older days, this is why there were so many 1-tons runing into cars when loaded (they didn't have enough braking power).
P.S. - I learned all of this whole weight issues/stuff at Wreckmaster training, I used to be in the towing arena, but decided I like to sleep at times.
Sorry for getting off the subject.

PGold
02-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I thought I should clear some things up for all of the people trying to give me a lesson on what is right and what is wrong. I knew that I should not have parked where I parked. I was in the wrong zone for the time period I parked. The college that I attend only has one tow truck. It is the type of tow truck that only lifts two wheels. I backed into the space, because I knew that they would have to drag my rear tires and I thought they wouldn't want to mess with it. When I walked out of class, I saw my truck being towed with a 350 flat bed. The school hired out a local towing company to tow my vehicle because they couldn't handle it. Our school has an appeal process to appeal any tickets. I thought I would write that it wasn't even legal for the school to tow my vehicle with the truck they used. However; the ticket was only 50 dollars, so it isn't even worth my time writing a letter to appeal the ticket.

start2finish
02-14-2007, 10:49 PM
if you park backed in with the front tires turned extreme one way or the other it makes it almost impossible to tow with a rollback. but a good driver will get you every time. rollbacks usually have wheel lifts as well.

PGold
02-15-2007, 10:11 AM
I thought that also. I had the tires turned to the extreme right. Apparently it didn't even slow them down.

start2finish
02-15-2007, 08:59 PM
i have haul a lot of things on a rollback, but I can't picture loading a 1 ton truck on a rollback without go-jacks having the wheels turned sharp.

J&R Landscaping
02-17-2007, 09:25 AM
If the wheels of the truck are turned sharp, couldn't you jus trun the winch cable through a snatch block to help keep things straight during loading?

jim dailey
02-17-2007, 11:06 PM
If the wheels of the truck are turned sharp, couldn't you jus trun the winch cable through a snatch block to help keep things straight during loading?

That is why there are side rails on a flatbed. And, remember, a winch has NO mercy...

Idealtim
02-18-2007, 11:43 PM
That is why there are side rails on a flatbed. And, remember, a winch has NO mercy...

Speaking of the winch, how much are those things rated for? Just a question.

horizonmowing
02-22-2007, 10:44 PM
This is one of those threads that isn't going the way the starter thought it would!

I can see myself doing what the creater of the thread did. I hope he finds a way out.

topsites
02-22-2007, 11:02 PM
What legalities?
It was you who parked it that way, knowingly and on purpose.