PDA

View Full Version : An old Moody Love the L A

Remote Pigtails
02-12-2007, 10:30 PM
This actually sits in my assistant's apt. as a conversation piece. He took his dremel to it and cleaned it up. We think it was installed about 1952. Took it out last year after babying it for a couple of years. Originally it was controlled by a small gate valve at the back porch. Eventually it was converted to electric with peter paul solenoids. It had a 1/4" tube that ran from the elbow to which it was attached to the top of the valve. Did not have a spring. My oldest documented still working valve is from 1948.

Wet_Boots
02-12-2007, 11:58 PM
I had to check my old Arco catalog to see if any of those old 'piston' valves had springs in them, but it seems not. Buckner made a similar valve.

Dirty Water
02-13-2007, 12:55 AM
I replaced a similar one (albeit about 20 years newer and fitted with a solinoid) about 6 months ago.

Sorry, for the bad picture, but its all I've got, the right hand one is still ticking away:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67237&d=1162261912

Wet_Boots
02-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Looks like a Superior adapter, which would likely be threaded into a Champion manual valve body. (but they made them for all brands of manual valves)

I guess those piston valves were gravity operated, as far as closing goes, if they had no springs.

Remote Pigtails
02-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Best I can figure it was similar to N. O. hydraulic valve. The tube that ran from the mainline to the top of the valve would supply the water pressure to shut it off. The original diaphragm finally disintegrated which is why it came out. I realize most of you know this but since the tube equalized the pressure at the top and bottom of the valve and the surface area was greater at the top combined with the weight of the piston it would shut off.

SprinklerGuy
02-13-2007, 08:53 AM
How pathetic are we that we have sprinkler parts in our houses as converstion pieces?

Remote Pigtails
02-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Well he is 22, excited to be learning a trade, and has a really hot girlfriend that goes to SMU. Plus on a HS education he breezed through the irrigators exam. Great employee. I count him among my blessings in life.

PurpHaze
02-13-2007, 09:33 AM
RP: Good pictures of an old valve. Now, a camera note. Depending on your type of camera it'll probably have a "macro" and/or "super macro" setting. (Mine is a "flower pot" button that is pushed when in any picture taking mode. It disables the flash and takes close-up pictures very clearly. I didn't know this until my son brought it to my attention and my close-up pictures have been a lot better ever since. :)

Wet_Boots
02-13-2007, 12:21 PM
How pathetic are we that we have sprinkler parts in our houses as converstion pieces?Hey, if folks on eBay can get a hundred-plus for an old Rocker Jet impact head, I intend on considering it my investment portfolio. http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6903/smileymoneystackcr6.gif