PDA

View Full Version : Blower bogging when choke is off

themow
02-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Ran fine for a year or so. Seems it may have started when this cold spell started. It runs great with the choke on half way. As soon as i take the choke off, it bogs. No smoke though. I cleaned the air filter and changed the plug. I pulled the carb and found no dirt. Im assuming the high speed jet may need an adjustment due to the cold.

The bogging is a symptom of it running rich but theres no smoke at all. As soon as i choke it, its revs back up.

Team Green L&L
02-13-2007, 03:38 AM
I had the same trouble with an echo hedge trimmer. I rebuilt the carb, new gaskets, plunger, spark plug etc. It still bogged down and died when you pulled the throttle trigger. I finally broke down and took it to a shop and they said it was because the muffler was actually gunked up not letting the exhaust escape. They took the muffler off and took a torch and burned it out. Runs fine now, may want to try that. Cost me $72.00 to learn that.:dizzy:

MowerMedic77
02-13-2007, 06:07 AM
The bogging is a symptom of it running rich but theres no smoke at all. As soon as i choke it, its revs back up.

First let me Welcome you to Lawnsite :drinkup:

Second your above statement is off, the unit is actually giving you a lean run issue since choking it richens the fuel mixture. Along with checking for carbon buildup you may also want to check the in-tank fuel filter(if discolored in any way replace) and inspect your fuel lines for small cracks and pin holes that may be allowing your unit to suck air and run lean.
Hope this helps:)

John Gamba
02-13-2007, 06:11 AM
First let me Welcome you to Lawnsite :drinkup:

Second your above statement is off, the unit is actually giving you a lean run issue since choking it richens the fuel mixture. Along with checking for carbon buildup you may also want to check the in-tank fuel filter(if discolored in any way replace) and inspect your fuel lines for small cracks and pin holes that may be allowing your unit to suck air and run lean.
Hope this helps:)

this is it:)

lawnboy dan
02-13-2007, 08:03 AM
check exauast screen

dutch1
02-13-2007, 08:46 AM
What has been mentioned above is all valid. My procedure on all 2 cycle equipment with this symptom is to replace in tank fuel filter, plug, clean air filter, remove and clean/discard anti spark screen, remove muffler and clear exhaust port in jug(I have seen ports you couldn't pass an 1/8" drill bit through). If this doesn't clear up the boggy condition, with the unit running I squirt a flammable carb/choke cleaner around the isomount between the carb and block. If the rpm's rise you likely have a small crack in the isomount, thereby not allowing proper air/fuel for good running. If the compression is adequate and everything else has been done then it's time to rebuild the carb.

In addition, when you have the muffler off, carefully inspect the condition of the cylinder and piston. Units with carbon stuck ring(s) and galled jugs will act much like what has been described. With units in this condition, if you can do the work yourself, money can be saved. If you have to have it shop repaired it is usually not cost effective as the repair bill will be more than half the cost of a new unit.

In my experience, upon questioning customer of their use of 2 cycle equipment, the most significant contributor to plugged ports and antispark screens is excessive running of equipment at slow speeds. At slow speeds you do not get the unit hot enough to more completely burn up the oil in the fuel.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Dutch

themow
02-13-2007, 01:23 PM
thanks for all the replies. Im gonna pull the muffler and check the spark arrestor and check out the fuel filter.

I must have been misinformed about lean/rich ratios forever.
I always thought

Rich= too much gas/not enough air/bogs motor

Symptom dirty air filter/ poorly adjusted carb

Lean=too little fuel too much air/ motor revs high, runs hot and burns up motor.

Symptom poorly adjusted carb or dirt in there.

Where am i wrong

thanks again

John Gamba
02-13-2007, 01:39 PM
thanks for all the replies. Im gonna pull the muffler and check the spark arrestor and check out the fuel filter.

I always thought

Lean=too little fuel too much air/ motor revs high, runs hot and burns up motor.

Where am i wrong

thanks again

It sounds like you have a clogged carb"clogged fuel jet". Let us know what you find.

rebarn
02-13-2007, 05:53 PM

I always thought

Where am i wrong

thanks again
You are close either too rich or to lean and motor runs poorly ,if at all . If richness was the problem then choking it would worsen it.

MowerMick
02-14-2007, 11:08 AM
You are close either too rich or to lean and motor runs poorly ,if at all . If richness was the problem then choking it would worsen it.

Rebarn is correct.

themow
02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Update: I pulled the muffler and inspecting the exhaust port and muffler. Everything looked clean and unobstructed. I took a torch to the muffler anyway just to burn any buildup away. I put it back on and its running slightly better but still not the same. Im going to change the fuel filter and see where that gets me. If no cure then, its carb time.

John Gamba
02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Update: I pulled the muffler and inspecting the exhaust port and muffler. Everything looked clean and unobstructed. I took a torch to the muffler anyway just to burn any buildup away. I put it back on and its running slightly better but still not the same. Im going to change the fuel filter and see where that gets me. If no cure then, its carb time.

Keep us posted