PDA

View Full Version : thermostat gage not working (car)

grass disaster
02-13-2007, 08:50 PM
i had the heat sensor replaced

temp gauge still not working

how do i fix this problem?

1996 oldsmobile cutlass supreme 2dr

3.1 liter auto

Restrorob
02-13-2007, 09:54 PM
I suppose the fuses were checked ? Was the new sensor installed with any type sealer on the threads (silicone Teflon tape) ?

If yes and no the next step would be pulling the instrument cluster.
With a multimeter check for voltage at the back of the gauge, If no voltage is present trace back to the fuse block for a broken/pinched wire.

If voltage is present at the gauge use a long jumper wire and connect one tester lead to the sensor wire at the engine and the other lead to the non-powered wire on the back of the gauge, If you have continuity (a closed circuit) the gauge is bad. If you have no continuity (open circuit) trace that wire from the gauge to sensor checking for a broken/pinched wire.

I was in the auto biz 15 yrs. ago.....

grass disaster
02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I suppose the fuses were checked ? Was the new sensor installed with any type sealer on the threads (silicone Teflon tape) ?

If yes and no the next step would be pulling the instrument cluster.
With a multimeter check for voltage at the back of the gauge, If no voltage is present trace back to the fuse block for a broken/pinched wire.

If voltage is present at the gauge use a long jumper wire and connect one tester lead to the sensor wire at the engine and the other lead to the non-powered wire on the back of the gauge, If you have continuity (a closed circuit) the gauge is bad. If you have no continuity (open circuit) trace that wire from the gauge to sensor checking for a broken/pinched wire.

I was in the auto biz 15 yrs. ago.....

thank you
i will try that tomorrow.

grass disaster
02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
when it was going out it would jump a lot. it would be dead then it would be alive

dead-alive-dead-alice. and sometimes in between.

so i'm guessing wire short.

could it be a bad ground somewhere?

Restrorob
02-13-2007, 11:00 PM
The ground is through the sensor threads that's why I asked about sealers, They (sealers) could cause a bad ground. With this new info. while performing the above test shake and wiggle wires under the dash and hood while the meter is hooked up so not to get a false reading.

grass disaster
02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
there is power there io took the plate off and i can move it with my hand and it goes back to the same position...

the guy who put the switch in for me said that he shorted it out and it still didn't move?????????????

Restrorob
02-14-2007, 07:32 PM
the guy who put the switch in for me said that he shorted it out and it still didn't move?????????????

You can do two things in this case, The test below or just replace the gauge and hope it works.

grass disaster
02-14-2007, 08:51 PM
i didn't get the intrurment pannel all the way out. i didn't disconect what liiked liked the speedo cable and or the wiring harness.

it looks like the pannel is enclosed. i'm not sure that even if i pull it out that i will be able to test anything.

Restrorob
02-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Hmmm, The only thing left I can say is take it someplace that knows the in and outs to fixing it ?