PDA

View Full Version : The best 21" commercial mower

lawnpro724
02-13-2007, 08:59 PM
What is the most reliable, productive 21" mower you own or have used??

cpel2004
02-13-2007, 11:07 PM
I just bought a used commercial toro, cant wait to see what all the hype is about. By the way I think this topic was discussed in depth before.

lawnboy dan
02-14-2007, 08:57 AM
the john deere jx 85 is the best comm 21 i have owned but my honda has been the most reliable

lawnpro724
02-15-2007, 02:42 PM
the john deere jx 85 is the best comm 21 i have owned but my honda has been the most reliable

If you Honda is more reliable than your John Deer Then shoould give Toro Proline a try. Toro is more reliable than Honda and more productive, easier to use and even though Toro's transmission is belt drive it will out last Honda's hydro.

Mr Priceless
02-15-2007, 03:02 PM
i don't get it, why don't you have more choices or "other" as an option? kinda implies forced bias doncha think?

yardmanlee
02-15-2007, 05:26 PM
john deere jx 85 I would like to have a couple more of these

LawnTamer
02-15-2007, 06:10 PM
i don't get it, why don't you have more choices or "other" as an option? kinda implies forced bias doncha think?

Who else even makes a commercial 21" mower that is in the running?

Mr Priceless
02-15-2007, 06:22 PM
well, for example, JD

lawnguy268
02-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I like my lawn boy but...If I was buying brand new toro great motor's

TSG
02-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I actually like the Higher Priced Home owners edition from Toro.
For 500.00,,,it will last me years,,and I can own 3 of 'em.
The propelsion unit is the same it it has a side discharge feature.
Just.02
Alan

Fox Lawn & Garden
02-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I actually like the Higher Priced Home owners edition from Toro.
For 500.00,,,it will last me years,,and I can own 3 of 'em.
The propelsion unit is the same it it has a side discharge feature.
Just.02
Alan

Are you refering to the one with the height adjustment cast into the side of the deck? I had to buy a new mower almost every year. Always stripping out. I had to bungie it to keep the height adjusters from slamming down when in use. That did a nice scalping job.. LOL

lawnboy dan
02-20-2007, 09:53 AM
sadly the great jd jx85 is no longer made. and as for the toro pro line-i dont like the gear ratios. 1st -too slow -2nd too fast-3rd way too fast. the main reason i like the jds so much -5 speeds -one is just right for me(3rd gear)

CA CLT
02-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Snapper!!!!!!!!!!

ArkansasLawns
02-20-2007, 10:02 PM
:cry: What, No choice for a Murray.

Professor mow
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I really like the Toro Super Recycler. It is not rated for commercial use but it has a cast aluminum deck and for the price really kicks ass!

pbdlandscaping
02-21-2007, 06:06 PM
i think you should throw cub cadet on there, i have a cub cadet 21" with caster's on the front, and it runs and cuts like a champ, i wouldn't trade it for any other 21" right now.

yardmanlee
02-22-2007, 06:24 AM
sadly the great jd jx85 is no longer made. and as for the toro pro line-i dont like the gear ratios. 1st -too slow -2nd too fast-3rd way too fast. the main reason i like the jds so much -5 speeds -one is just right for me(3rd gear)

agrees totally !!!

lawntimenosee
02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
After using both Toro and Honda commercials.. they are both great.

To choose only one, it's Honda for me.

Jeds_Lawn_Care
02-22-2007, 08:58 PM
What about snapper? Really, they make a good PM don't they? I haven't owned one so I couldn't say weather or not I liked one more that the other.
My dealer said he could get me a commercial w/ 6hp kawi for about $850

S man
02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
What is the most reliable, productive 21" mower you own or have used??

Put snapper on there. :rolleyes:

RedMax Man
02-23-2007, 02:40 PM
My Honda still runs like a champ and it's about 10 years old. It has the Xenoy deck and wheel, residential model.
I was at a dealer in town and was looking at the new Honda 21" Homeowner models, the sales guy told me that they're just as good as the commercial models but cost way less and don't have a steel deck. A large landscape maintenance company in my area buys all there Honda mowers from him and they're all residential/home owner models.

TSG
02-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Try to find a snapper dealer in Northern NH,,,,,,,,,,,,
Alan

SidelinePropMgr
02-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Believe it or not, I have a 21" Troy-Bilt bought from Lowe's. Have run it for 5 years straight. Had to replace one front drive wheel that wore out due to use and 1 pull starter rope. Other than these two issues, mower still runs like a champ. It has been banged around on my trailer, fallen off of my tailgate and crunched with wheels of my zero turn (inexperienced person in training). I can't say that this brand has a long track record of commercial use however, I can't imagine any other mower could take any more of a beating and still operate. Until it dies, the Troy-Bilt has my vote and compare the prices. I WIN!!!

bladerunners
02-27-2007, 02:58 AM
If you Honda is more reliable than your John Deer Then shoould give Toro Proline a try. Toro is more reliable than Honda and more productive, easier to use and even though Toro's transmission is belt drive it will out last Honda's hydro.

When I purchased new a Honda Commercial HRC216SXA 5.5 HP last in 1990 since for 10 years nothing there is the problem. I has 6 Honda mowers now. The Honda mower are the best engine, hydro transmission, and easy start just one pulling. Toro Prolife is good but problem of maintenance also I did witness with my family had one problem and friends, and Toro dealer that guy mechainc told me about the Toro. I am glad lucky not purchase one toro. Just trust me. I bet you will love it.:usflag:

S man
02-27-2007, 02:18 PM
When I purchased new a Honda Commercial HRC216SXA 5.5 HP last in 1990 since for 10 years nothing there is the problem. I has 6 Honda mowers now. The Honda mower are the best engine, hydro transmission, and easy start just one pulling. Toro Prolife is good but problem of maintenance also I did witness with my family had one problem and friends, and Toro dealer that guy mechainc told me about the Toro. I am glad lucky not purchase one toro. Just trust me. I bet you will love it.:usflag:

Translate please. :hammerhead:

CA CLT
02-27-2007, 02:53 PM

I think this is close to the poster's intended input.

"In 1990 I bought a Honda Commercial HRC216SXA 5.5 HP. This mower worked well for me with no problems for 10 years. I have owned 6 Hondas now. I think Honda makes the best mower engines with easy one pull starting. The hydro transmissions on the mowers are also very good.

Toro Proline is a good mower, however friends and family who have owned them have had some mechanical issues. The mechanic at the Toro dealer also confirmed some of these same problems. I'm glad that I didn't buy Toro.

Go with the Honda! Trust me I think you will love it."

bladerunners
02-27-2007, 03:37 PM

why are you insult me ? What wrong with you? I think you are very dumb. I am not top english language. I am 1st (ASL) American Sign Language. :nono:

S man
02-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I think this is close to the poster's intended input.

"In 1990 I bought a Honda Commercial HRC216SXA 5.5 HP. This mower worked well for me with no problems for 10 years. I have owned 6 Hondas now. I think Honda makes the best mower engines with easy one pull starting. The hydro transmissions on the mowers are also very good.

Toro Proline is a good mower, however friends and family who have owned them have had some mechanical issues. The mechanic at the Toro dealer also confirmed some of these same problems. I'm glad that I didn't buy Toro.

Go with the Honda! Trust me I think you will love it."

Thank you! :) :clapping:

WoodChucker
09-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Years ago (early 90's) I bought a pair of (2 cycle) Lawnboy Pro commercial mowers.
The price was more than most lawn tractors in those days, but they were worth every penney.

They mowed many, many acres and a lot of treacherous country ditches.
I would love to be able to get new ones now.

In the 50+ years that I have been pushing mowers, I have never found anything that I liked nearly as much.

Lately, I have been buying Honda powered Troy Bilt 21" pushers at Lowe's.
For the price I can't find anything else that comes close.

:)

:usflag:

vermonta
10-21-2007, 12:12 AM
I have had 2 cycle Snappers that worked well for me but don't have much use now for the smaller mowers.

I now have a High wheel Sarlo and it works well for the little I use it. And its super rugged. I got it for free LOL and cost me $54 to be in top running shape! :)

I owned a Honda which I liked for the self propelled because it went at the speed you walked but I didn't like the looks of the cut so I got rid of it.

WoodChucker
10-21-2007, 02:47 AM
Those old Lawn Boy Pros were incredibly powerful for their weight.
Also, because they did not have an oil pump pickup from an oil pan crankcase, they were very tolerant of extreme attitudes.

Several years ago, I had a large corner lot which I maintained as a sort of showpiece. It was a nice lot with some stately trees on the busiest intersection in the county. Unfortunately it was bounded by cavernous county ditches.

I put ubolts on one Lawn Boy in order to attach ropes to pull and guide the mower along the sides and bottoms of the ditches.

To minimize gas spilling, I made an "all terrain" fuel tank from a modified 1 gallon Rotella T jug and hung it from the mower handlebar.

It worked great and those ditches looked like a manicured golf course green ... ( after a lot of work).

:clapping:

S man
10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
uh oh. toro is behind.

vermonta
10-21-2007, 09:08 PM
I put ubolts on one Lawn Boy in order to attach ropes to pull and guide the mower along the sides and bottoms of the ditches.

To minimize gas spilling, I made an "all terrain" fuel tank from a modified 1 gallon Rotella T jug and hung it from the mower handlebar.

It worked great and those ditches looked like a manicured golf course green ... ( after a lot of work).

:clapping:

I'm trying to visualize that setup but sure would like to see a picture of that in action :laugh:

WoodChucker
10-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Remember when we were kids and we flew those control line model airplanes with 2 lines tethered to a control handle that we moved back and forth to make the airplane go up and down.

Imagine the same idea with a mower controlled by 2 ropes to move it up and down on a very steep slope.

I ran a 3/8" solid braid nylon rope through a 2' length of thick wall 3/4" PVC schedule 40 for a control handle.
Then I tied snap hooks onto the 2 ends and attached them to ubolts that I had installed fore and aft on the thick aluminum deck of the Lawn Boy Pro.

The "all terrain" gas tank (a 1 gallon Rotella T jug) hung from the handle cross bar on a double loop of 3/8" solid braid nylon rope so that it was always vertical no matter what the mower angle of attack might be.
I had installed a hose barb fitting in the jug and ran a fuel line to the mower carburetor.

It was great for mowing difficult areas that you could not (or did not want to) walk across.

I suppose that some day we will have radio controlled self propelled robot mowers that can go anywhere.

Of course, they will put all of us out of work ... unless we will work cheaper than the robot mowers.

:drinkup:

Stillwater
10-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Remember when we were kids and we flew those control line model airplanes with 2 lines tethered to a control handle that we moved back and forth to make the airplane go up and down.

Imagine the same idea with a mower controlled by 2 ropes to move it up and down on a very steep slope.

I ran a 3/8" solid braid nylon rope through a 2' length of thick wall 3/4" PVC schedule 40 for a control handle.
Then I tied snap hooks onto the 2 ends and attached them to ubolts that I had installed fore and aft on the thick aluminum deck of the Lawn Boy Pro.

The "all terrain" gas tank (a 1 gallon Rotella T jug) hung from the handle cross bar on a double loop of 3/8" solid braid nylon rope so that it was always vertical no matter what the mower angle of attack might be.
I had installed a hose barb fitting in the jug and ran a fuel line to the mower carburetor.

It was great for mowing difficult areas that you could not (or did not want to) walk across.

I suppose that some day we will have radio controlled self propelled robot mowers that can go anywhere.

Of course, they will put all of us out of work ... unless we will work cheaper than the robot mowers.

OK now for your next project, purchase a few industrial servos a RC receiver and a 4 or 5 channel RC transmitter, install the servos and receiver on a Z and just lounge on a lawn chair and mow your lawn by remote control

vermonta
10-22-2007, 08:26 AM
OK now for your next project, purchase a few industrial servos a RC receiver and a 4 or 5 channel RC transmitter, install the servos and receiver on a Z and just lounge on a lawn chair and mow your lawn by remote control

http://www.remotecontrolmower.com/

WoodChucker
11-08-2007, 04:01 AM
:walking:

Well, it had to happen eventually.

Next, I suppose we will be running 2 machines with a control in each hand!

:dizzy:

vermonta
11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
:walking:

Well, it had to happen eventually.

Next, I suppose we will be running 2 machines with a control in each hand!

:dizzy:

I couldn't find it but I think it was Kubota? was working on something many years (10-15) ago. They had a full size Z turn that was setup with remote control for mowing steep side hills and rough areas. I never saw it on the market but sounded pretty good.

I'm sure it would have been pretty costly.

AkJohn
10-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Driving around town looking to see what the other crews are using i don't think i ever seen someone who isnt using the Honda's mabey there's something there or it could be its a Alaska an lack of lawn mower dealers

Exact Rototilling
10-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Skip the 21" and go straight to a yBravo 25. Not a perfect mower but I can't see myself going back to a 21".

Honda commercial engine
Strong performer in wet grass...even better with the optional high vent bag.

cpllawncare
10-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Skip the 21" and go straight to a yBravo 25. Not a perfect mower but I can't see myself going back to a 21".

Honda commercial engine
Strong performer in wet grass...even better with the optional high vent bag.

It better be damn near perfect for $1500. Thing looks like a tank though!

LibertyFarmLandscaping
10-30-2011, 01:15 PM
It better be damn near perfect for $1500. Thing looks like a tank though!

Mine was $1175 back in Feb. They discounted it quite a bit since I was the first one to purchase. Their advertised selling price is $1295. Paid $875 for a 21" zone start, they sell it for $995.

Yes they are built stout.

Exact Rototilling
10-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Mine was $1175 back in Feb. They discounted it quite a bit since I was the first one to purchase. Their advertised selling price is $1295. Paid $875 for a 21" zone start, they sell it for $995.

Yes they are built stout.
Do you notice any difference in cut quality between the 21 vs 25? Could.you get away with just running the 25 Ybravo and forget the 21?
Posted via Mobile Device

LibertyFarmLandscaping
10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Do you notice any difference in cut quality between the 21 vs 25? Could.you get away with just running the 25 Ybravo and forget the 21?
Posted via Mobile Device

No and no.

I can't tell the difference in cut quality.

We mow 2 apartment complexes with some steep very narrow ditches, and 3 hoa's with long narrow retaining walls that a mower has to be lifted up on to mow that the 21 gets used on.

Exact Rototilling
10-31-2011, 02:25 AM
No and no.

I can't tell the difference in cut quality.

We mow 2 apartment complexes with some steep very narrow ditches, and 3 hoa's with long narrow retaining walls that a mower has to be lifted up on to mow that the 21 gets used on.

Any difference in wet grass bagging performance between the 21 and 25...?

LibertyFarmLandscaping
10-31-2011, 04:52 AM
Any difference in wet grass bagging performance between the 21 and 25...?

I'm in NE TX. On the bermuda and st augustine grasses I would say they are pretty close with a slight edge to the 21. We mostly just bag st augustine.
Both mowers bag with no clogging, and pack the bag full.

I haven't tried any aftermarket blades or the high vent bag. I will give them a try next season based off your great review of the Bravo 25.

bobcat48
11-11-2011, 07:23 PM
An exmark,honda i dont own a commerical 21'' so cant really say i have a regular craftsman 21'' with bag dont dont see that much use,hardly any at all.

mbigred
11-15-2011, 08:09 PM
HONDA ON A MTD DECK I HAVE TWO MOWERS HAVE BEEN RUN FINE:waving:

Grassmaster9
11-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Toro Commercial- Too expensive, but I love it. Hard to beat!

ralph02813
12-01-2011, 07:55 AM
far too many are left out to be a real survey - and all mowers should be "commercial"

PlantscapeSolutions
12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Honda all the way. Just like the hydro walk behind beats a belt drive with gears the same rules apply to push mowers. No gears to fail and easy speed adjustment.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-02-2011, 01:48 AM
YBravo, is that Hispanic?

propertyprep
12-12-2011, 07:36 PM
When you guys are talking Honda Commercial are you talking the PDA or the HXA? I just bought a Snapper Hi Vac and I am looking to buy one more 21 to go head to head to see what we will be using in the future.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-12-2011, 07:40 PM
When you guys are talking Honda Commercial are you talking the PDA or the HXA? I just bought a Snapper Hi Vac and I am looking to buy one more 21 to go head to head to see what we will be using in the future.

Honda Commercial Mowers are "HRC" mowers

propertyprep
12-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I know they have the HRC216PDA and HRC216HXA. I want to know which one you guys are using.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-12-2011, 08:02 PM
PDA is a non self propelled mower, can't imaging anyone using that version, so HXA

Exact Rototilling
12-12-2011, 10:25 PM
YBravo, is that Hispanic?

Not sure but it would appear from the website that is who they are marketing to....at least to.some.degree....? Honestly thought of hiring Hispanics as well?
Posted via Mobile Device

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Not sure but it would appear from the website that is who they are marketing to....at least to.some.degree....? Honestly thought of hiring Hispanics as well?
Posted via Mobile Device

Just the name threw me off guard, most definitely Hispanic, I'm not particular about who does the work, as long as they show up for work on time, work safe, can use equipment knowledgeably, I don't care what their race is, but they do need to speak a decent enough amount of English to communicate when needed with customers, etc...

ralph02813
12-13-2011, 07:33 AM

When you say you have just bought it, I am assuming that you haven't used it yet, is this right - since you are in Wisconsin right?
Maybe you grass is much different up there my experience is that the weakest part of the snapper/ferris 21 hi vac is the deck, it is 14 guage - with limit experience - 55 years of cutting grass, but only 5 for $$$$ a 14 guage deck unless it is really reinforced is a homeowner deck. I say this because if you get into heavy wet grass, and you are bagging it is very possible to jam the blade into the deck, there is much to much flexibility in the deck.

classy
12-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Better than a tank, super cut... cuts through anything.... the COMMERCIAL one anyway. I wouldn't waste my time, nor risk people's health with homeowner equipment, not to mention upping the risk factor to affect my insurance.

Toro, Toro, and Toro. Of course, i'm sure Honda is good too. 4 years, little maintenance, absolutely NEVER failed. Bought new, around $1300.

I can put this mower in an idiot's hands and I know the mower will survive at least.

WillsLandscape
02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
eh, I put Toro because the Snapper selection was not on there. I think my Toro is awesome, then again it's a 23 years old (26624 model if you want to look it up), but it still starts on the first or second pull

I've always had good luck with Snappers and their self propelled transmissions have never given me issues.

weeze
02-19-2013, 11:49 PM
whatever you get just make sure it has a honda engine on it. i have a craftsman with a honda engine and it's been perfect for over 10 years. whenever it tanks i'm gonna get a honda hrx217vka which is the belt drive version not the hydro drive version. nexite deck is still light enough where you could push it if you had too if the belt were to break or anything. the belts last forever though. i'm still on the original belt on my craftsman after 10 years.

Jason
02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Exmark 21 metro!

zackvbra
02-20-2013, 02:13 PM
shoot I got an old 21" craftsman, and it does the job. bought it at a yard sale for $25 3 years ago. Hasnt failed me yet. I use it mainly for ditches and a couple poststamp yards.

Greenstar61
01-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Where's Snapper?