PDA

View Full Version : Main Reroute and Isolation Valve

PurpHaze
02-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Weather permitting, we'll be starting a project tomorrow to cut into a 6" main line, set an RW isolation valve on a new 4" main line spur and then take that main 80' to the last valve of a very circuitous main line in order to feed the eastern half of a football practice field and some non-field areas of a football stadium. This will put these valves within 200' of the pump instead of being fed from a 1200' circuitous route off of a 3" main line.

These first pictures show some of the prep work today of getting the isolation valve all set up. It's a 4" RW valve with Van Stone PVC flanges bolted onto the flanged valve. We'll end up glueing this into the line where we want it. Reason we're going this route is so we solvent weld all joints and don't have to pour thrust blocks.

PurpHaze
02-13-2007, 10:01 PM
These pictures show the 6" x 4" tee that we set up for installation. We always mark a ring around big diameter pipe so we get a square cut. We'll then cut it into the 6" main line using Dresser couplings.

koster_irrigation
02-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Id like to see how this repair call turned out

PurpHaze
02-14-2007, 08:50 AM
No rain today so we'll be starting on it in about an hour. I'll post progress pics tonight. :)

londonrain
02-14-2007, 08:57 AM
This should be posted in the utility contractor section......lol

Dirty Water
02-14-2007, 12:17 PM
This should be posted in the utility contractor section......lol

What, never worked with big pipe?

Its a lot more fun than small pipe in my opinion.

londonrain
02-14-2007, 04:32 PM

Biggest pipe we have worked with was a couple of 3" mains. After fixing a 3" tee that was leaking, 1" piping seemed micro small.

Flow Control
02-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Purp, I thought that you spend enough time on the irrigation threads until I seen your daily work on the off topic threads, nice. My favorite part was when you said ur wife helps you. That's a good women. And I am gonna ignore how you stated u help her in return.

PurpHaze
02-14-2007, 09:25 PM

That's pretty much what Leo said today. He's enjoying the "big pipe" experience because we've done so many main line repairs this winter. He's getting more and more comfortable with it all the time but I have to cut him back sometimes so I can do some of the work. He used to be satisfied just doing the peripheral work but now he's enjoying doing the nitty-gritty stuff and gaining the experience. He'll be ready to take over when I leaves later this year. :)

PurpHaze
02-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Purp, I thought that you spend enough time on the irrigation threads until I seen your daily work on the off topic threads, nice. My favorite part was when you said ur wife helps you. That's a good women. And I am gonna ignore how you stated u help her in return.

I DO have a good woman. :)

PurpHaze
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Progress report: We cut into the 6" line, set the tee, came south and set the new isolation valve, Christy valve box and tee where we'll take off in the morning. Bullheaded the tee with a cap so we have a 4" POC in the area if we ever need it. Only fifty feet to the valve where we'll be tieing in. May have a lateral in the way but we'll fix that if it's hit.

PurpHaze
02-14-2007, 09:40 PM
The 6" line had 36" of cover and the point where we'll reconnect at the automatic valve has only 21" of cover. Came up off the 6" line and 90ed so the 4" line would sit at 24" of cover. Could of waited until the 6" main line was completely drained and set the RW valve at 36" of cover but got tired of waiting. With the tee looking up we gained elevation and didn't have to mess with a constant dribble between the 6" line and the RW valve. The 4" tee is angled just slightly so we'll pick up the 3" difference over the 50' to the reconnect point which is quite smooth enough for the transition of 4" pipe.

PurpHaze
02-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Completed the reconnect today with no problems. Water will go back on tomorrow. :)

Dirty Water
02-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Whats with the repair coupling? Its only 4", you could have flexed that into the last fitting considering you have 50' to play with.

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Personal choice. Had this been a lateral line I would have done it in a heartbeat.

Flow Control
02-16-2007, 08:16 AM
So what is it like being spoiled with that soil. I think out of all the installs I have been a part of I can count on three fingers working in conditions like that. Purp, you guys do good work

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 08:31 AM
So what is it like being spoiled with that soil. I think out of all the installs I have been a part of I can count on three fingers working in conditions like that. Purp, you guys do good work

Thanks for the kind words. We always install things a bit different from the norm everyone else may run into because we definately know that if there are problems we WILL be the ones going back in to repair it. We're not under time constraints to "get it done" or "go as fast as can be to make a profit" because our situation is different. We also have to take a step back sometimes because of the nature of school sites as our work area has to be as "safety bulletproof" as possible as to not affect students and staff.

The soil at this site is nearly pure sand since it sits next to a river. We didn't have to haul in any backfill material like we might have to do on other sites with real crappy soil that we'd prefer not having next to a main line.

hoskm01
02-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Good looking work as always Haze. We appreciate the pics.

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks. Sometimes I get carried away with the pics but I receive PMs all the time from listers that are interested in the way we do certain things with larger pipe but wish to not publically post a question.

The close-up of the resilient wedge valve with the PVC flange bolted on is just one such pic. It may not show up in the picture very well but when we got ready to glue the valve onto the 4" spur we shoveled a level area and then put down a small square of plywood on top of the compacted soil. This way we made sure the valve lined up and would not be under any stress that might cause it to settle.

We also always shade in the trench by hand around the pipe (making sure it's on solid ground and foot compacted around and under the pipe) before doing the main backfill with the Bobcat. We don't have to meet compaction specs which would require mechanically tamping but the whole thing, with the exception of within about 2' of the valves, was wheel packed with the Bobcat and then smoothed out and raked.

BSME
02-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Purp... if it's ever possible to apply for a winter job on your crew lemme know.

I'd like to get more large pipe experience

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 09:18 PM
It's highly doubtful that I'll be here next winter. :)

Wet_Boots
02-16-2007, 09:26 PM
That's what they all say. Have an Otter Pop.

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Sent in my request to attend the CalPERS Retirement Planning Workshop which will be held in our area in early April. This is a prerequisite to putting in retirement papers. :)

Wet_Boots
02-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Do you get a free hat?

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Naw... just a swift kick in the arse on the way out the door. :walking:

Wet_Boots
02-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Cashing in before Arnold decides to gut the program?

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Moving to WA. Just turned 55 and with 20+ years will get about 1/2 pay plus medical benefits until 65. I'll pick up something up there although it may not be in the irrigation area. Thinking about growing a beard and becoming a WalMart greeter. :)

Wet_Boots
02-16-2007, 10:37 PM
You'll be bored to tears in less that two years. I'll look for the headlines about a deranged weirdo at the controls of a stolen Bobcat.

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 10:40 PM
LOL... I'll post pictures if that happens. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
02-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Look for it soon, on Loonie-Cam ®