PDA

View Full Version : walker egine rebuild???kohler20 hp

ACA L&L
02-14-2007, 12:15 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help me out? We have a kohler engine 20 hp, runs good right now, but as a precautionary measure I was wondering if there is a rebuild kit available for these engines? Or if we had to replace the engine, where do they sell these engines? 20 hp kohler v. Any links would be great. Its for a walker mower deaLer quote was around 2300.00for new one installed, im surei could install a new one if i could just find one? thanks:dancing:

lucforce
02-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Not really a "kit" for these. How many hours and what kind of maintenance has this machine seen?

Restrorob
02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Look Here;

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine&Supplier=Kohler

ACA L&L
02-14-2007, 12:56 AM
1900 hours. Regular mait on our end since we got her, around 1500 hours. Still runs strong burns oil.

MowerMick
02-14-2007, 12:04 PM
look on ebay for a new motor, thats your best and cheapest choice

lucforce
02-14-2007, 07:37 PM
1. The command design engine are prone to having head gaskets fail for various reasons and cause oil consumption.
2. That is not necessarily too many hours to consider a re-ring, assuming that the other internals are not worn out, if the rings are responsible for the oil burning and not the head gaskets.

A new set of rings and a valve job will likely make a huge difference in the way the machine runs.

If not, it is not much work to simply replace the engine with a new one.

Snyderserv5060
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
From what ive read and heard... dont quote me on this but the kohlers are not great rebuildable motors, more of a 1 time use and when they wear replace them. The Kaw's are better for that and generally the kohlers are just replaced. Now I can't say that I have had any personal experience with rebuilding one and it not going well. I am however buying a new motor for my 48 Exmark turf tracer. By the time I tear it down and such its probably easier and cheaper to just go new. Plus new carries a warrenty from the engine manufacturer so that helps out. I'd check ebay for a reliable seller as long as your mowers a solid unit and the pumps are strong. Good luck

thecrankshaft
02-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Rebuilding an engine is not a big deal if you know a good machine shop and are comfortable disassembling and assembling the engine yourself.

To diagnose any oil consumption problem, I start with a crankcase vacuum test, compression test and leak down test. The condition of the spark plugs is a good indication as well, as a leak down failure that has air coming out of the dipstick could be the rings or a head gasket. A failed head gasket is usually only one cylinder, and leaves more carbon deposits on that spark plug.

Head gaskets are easy to replace and are really more of an issue on the 25 HP engines, not saying I haven't seen them blow on the 20 HP engines.

If the rings are worn, you'll be able to tell with ring end gaps. Measure the bore and see how much you are out of spec. Boring and honing at the machine shop isn't that expensive. May be a good idea to have the valves looked at right away.

Kohler does not sell rebuild kits per se - they offer the gasket set, but the pistons and rods are sold separately due to variations in over/under sizes. Kohler offers pistons in .010" and .020" oversize (aka .25 and .5 mm) and connecting rods in .010" undersize.

From what ive read and heard... dont quote me on this but the kohlers are not great rebuildable motors, more of a 1 time use and when they wear replace them.

I'd like to know why you feel this way as it is obviously not from experience.

ACA L&L
02-16-2007, 12:58 AM
the plugs are getting fouled every three -five hours and we have to check oil every day sometimes twice. I have a buddy that works at a machine shop, he suggested the same thing. I can justify a couple of hundred to fixthe engine. a new one is 2000.00. I let ya know what the case is here in the next couple of weeks. thanks