PDA

View Full Version : high mile tire wanted. I DON"T NEED SUPERSWAMPERS

grass disaster
02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
2500hd 2001 chevy ext cab
265/75/16

i think it's finally time to get some new "meats"

i use this truck only in the summer so i don't really need it to be good in the snow/mud. i want a tire that is around the $125 mark or less. want it to be high mileage.
this truck pulls an 8 X 16 enclosed and it burns the back tires.

any recommendations?

think of buying from a source like tirerack

Dallas Turf
02-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Michelin LTX m/s around $150 but one hell of a long wearing tire, 50,000 mi warranty

twj721
02-14-2007, 05:14 AM
I have used 2 brands Bridgestone Revos and the set that I have on our 1 ton is a set of Winstons winners L/T's both are good I think that the Winstons are going to be cheaper in price good luck

Scag48
02-14-2007, 06:28 AM
I had some Michelin LTX's on my GMC, pretty decent tire. Very quiet, handled well, and they last a really long time. Terrible in mud and snow, but if you're not looking for that kind of tire, these will do just fine for summer work.

I ended up replacing the LTX's with some BFG All Terrain TA's when they wore out as I needed something for snow/mud, but the AT's are probably more than you need.

Greenscapes, LLC
02-14-2007, 07:18 AM
michelin all the way great truck tire, go to www.discounttiredirect.com best, lowest prices and free shipping. im purchasing soon.

Dallas Turf
02-14-2007, 08:19 AM
The Michelin LTX M/S will get you through quite a bit of mud as well as a being long wearing tire.

TGM
02-14-2007, 04:44 PM
by the time you pay for shipping through an online dealer, then pay someone to install and balance the tires, you might as well go to someplace local.

Total.Lawn.Care
02-14-2007, 04:54 PM
The best tire milage I have ever gotten was with a set of BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As. Got about 60,000 miles and would have gotten more if the front end had stayed in alignment. Tirerack lists them around $160 a tire, but they are worth it for the mileage.

I need to get new meats soon myself, and I am tryign to come up with the $$$s to get these Goodrichs again.

carcrz
02-14-2007, 05:02 PM
by the time you pay for shipping through an online dealer, then pay someone to install and balance the tires, you might as well go to someplace local.

Not completely true. I bought a set of tires from Discounttire a couple years ago. At the time, they had free shipping. I saved $250 in tire cost alone. Then I had a local shop mount & balance them for $10 a tire. Can't beat that price anywhere.

lawnboy dan
02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
michilen ltx =long lasting

TPLawnPro
02-14-2007, 05:28 PM
BFG All Terrain T/A (KO)

This is your tire!

hotrodsnapper
02-14-2007, 05:30 PM
I agree with TGM, mounting, balancing, and alignment kill any cost advantages of mail-ordering, plus the lack of a real warrantee will hurt in the long run too.

Just for discussion, with a trailer that big do you use a weight distrubuting hitch? Also play around with tire pressures. I'd try 10 or 15 pounds above the unloaded spec. This would also help fuel economy.

It sounds like the tire is squished out from being loaded too heavily without enough pressure. If your tread is wearing on the outside edges, look at reducing the load on that axle (weight distributing hitch) and increasing the pressure.

I realize this is nearly off the subject, but I spent a lot of time (and $$:realmad: ) trying to find long-wearing tires only to find out later I had too much weight for the pressure I was running. I'd hate to hear six months from now you're having the same problem with a $200 class tire.

Scag48
02-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Plus, if you buy locally, most places usually offer free balance and rotation. Doesn't sound like much, but hey, it's free. I love not having to rotate my tires and it doesn't cost me a dime.

The Rookie
02-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Summit Mud Dawgs are cheap and have cool looking sidelugs. Also Mudtrac radial by cooper are ok and cheap.

AintNoFun
02-14-2007, 08:42 PM
goodyear G Series, trust me.. ive used everything else and they are all garbage. the tires probably gonna cost you $200 a tire but you'll get more life out of them any other tire. look into them..

grass disaster
02-15-2007, 03:26 PM
goodyear G Series, trust me.. ive used everything else and they are all garbage. the tires probably gonna cost you $200 a tire but you'll get more life out of them any other tire. look into them..

$200 FOR 1 TIRE. you're crazy.

AintNoFun
02-15-2007, 05:52 PM
ive got over 50k plus miles on 2 sets and they look BRAND NEW.. thats 50k of plowing, sanding, towing skidsteers, etc.. i could put pictures on ebay and sell them as brand new.. go spend the money of bfg, coopers, etc and get 20 to 30k miles on them...

$200 FOR 1 TIRE. you're crazy.

grass disaster
02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
what's the name of this tire

i don't see goodyear g series

AintNoFun
02-15-2007, 07:26 PM
i'll find out the exact number.. i think i have g 135's on chevys and a g3__ some 2 f450's.. when i get back down to the shop i'll give u the dirt...

what's the name of this tire

i don't see goodyear g series

Greenscapes, LLC
02-15-2007, 08:04 PM

discount has free shipping, and if you pay like 70 bucks extra you get free tire replacement for 3 years, your gonna pay to install and balance tire regardless and if you have local tire shop that will meet the online price then yeah stay local but i don't have anyone local that will touch the price, not even local discount tire shops (still haven't figured that one out).

lawnmaniac883
02-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Get an E rated tire and have alot less tread wear issues. Granted they are more expensive you will be gratefull in the end. Much better at carrying a load and drive solid. Currently running Toyo Open Country H/T's on the dodge 2500 diesel nice big water channels and a stiff square shoulder make for a great tire. Costs ~830 mounted + balanced + free rotations for life of tire

FWIW had michelins on it before and they were down to the wear bars with 50k on them. A new set of those will cost more than the toyo's did.

grass disaster
02-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Get an E rated tire and have alot less tread wear issues. Granted they are more expensive you will be gratefull in the end. Much better at carrying a load and drive solid. Currently running Toyo Open Country H/T's on the dodge 2500 diesel nice big water channels and a stiff square shoulder make for a great tire. Costs ~830 mounted + balanced + free rotations for life of tire

FWIW had michelins on it before and they were down to the wear bars with 50k on them. A new set of those will cost more than the toyo's did.

yes i saw that with the michelins that the D and E rated tire have an added band around them te prevent punctures/flats.

did you not like the michelins? 50k that's not too bad for miles. why did you switch?

lawnmaniac883
02-16-2007, 04:05 PM
yes i saw that with the michelins that the D and E rated tire have an added band around them te prevent punctures/flats.

did you not like the michelins? 50k that's not too bad for miles. why did you switch?

Tires were o.k on dry asphalt but a wet road and they sucked. granted the cummins is a torque powerhouse but to break the tires loose pulling out of my neighborhood at any speed is ridiculous. 1100 rpms and the rear would chatter. Toyos are grippin real nice on wet and I cant even get them to slip on dry pavement. So mainly to gain some wet traction. Also breaking the tires loose at 35mph isnt fun either.

Gravel Rat
02-16-2007, 07:56 PM
I like the Michelin LTX M/S but they are not a long wearing tire or not for my application. In a steer axle position on my OBS F-450 I will only get 25,000kms 15,535 miles out of them and they cost me 220.00 CND each 189.00 US for the 235/85R-16 10ply. I thought about going to XPS Rib Michelins but they are 250 each 214 US and a little too mild treaded for the conditions I'am in. I need to beable to steer and the front tires don't slide sideways.

A Rib based tread will always last the longest but they don't do well in mud or anything slippery. The LTX M/S are a little of both worlds they have some grip and wear decent.