PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer problems

Poncho25
02-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey guys/gals. I sure hope someone can help me out here. I have an enclosed trailer and I have had nothing but problems with getting it organized inside. I need some tips, help, advice anything!! :hammerhead:

The major issue I have is with getting things hung up on the walls, they are very thin and I have tried pretty much everything but putting up another piece of plywood to get my blower hanger to stay up. I have the trimmer trap for the Stihl blower, and have tried everything from self anchoring bolts, screws and it seems to always rip out after a few months... I also would want to get some kind of shelf system in the front so I can put the gas cans and miscellaneous items (oil, air can, hand tools). I have seen some really well organized trailers just have not known anyone to ask. so here I am...someone help :)

Shadetree Ltd
02-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Self tapping metal screws through the trailer ribs underneath the plywood is what you need to anchor to. We have 5 trimmers, 3 hedge trimmers, 5 blowers and two pole saws all mounted on the walls with trimmer traps, going on three years now with no problems. I keep all gas out of the trailer and store it in a locked box on the trailer tongue.

Poncho25
02-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Self tapping metal screws through the trailer ribs underneath the plywood is what you need to anchor to. We have 5 trimmers, 3 hedge trimmers, 5 blowers and two pole saws all mounted on the walls with trimmer traps, going on three years now with no problems. I keep all gas out of the trailer and store it in a locked box on the trailer tongue.

I tried this, so either I am doing something wrong or what....what size screw did you use? I think i used 1/8th. I have 3 trimers up on the other side, but i put 2 pieces of 2x2 on the plywood and then the timmer rack on them. I just don't want to have to do that to blower cause then its sticking out to much and will narrow my area inside even more... do you have pics? of your inside Shade? If need be i can snap some of mine this way you can see...also anyone else with any advice or suggestions, please feel free!!

Az Gardener
02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I have had problems in the past as well. I like shelves myself. Well I don't like them but I find them to be effective for me. I have a shelf across the front that goes from the front to the side door. It has 4x4 legs. and a 2x6 frame sheeted with 1/2" ply probably overkill but we load it up with fertilizer and seed when needed. I attached the legs to the floor with 2" angle braces. It is tall enough to put push mowers underneath. I also used to keep my blowers there.

I have another shelf on the side that is like book shelves they hold the line trimmers and jugs of liquid fertilizer. and other misc stuff. They are supported by the floor and only attached to the wall again with the 2" angle brackets screwed into the ribs of the trailer.

I will try and take some pictures today and post. No promises though I am computer challenged

supercuts
02-17-2007, 10:47 AM
i screwed a 1x3 into the metal framed walls and then hung equip off those. i used bike hooks used to hang bikes from garage rafters to hold my trimmers iwth a bungee keeping them down

mojob
02-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Daricek has the right idea. You have to distribute the weight over a wide area. The ribs on most trailers are made with pretty thin steel so you have to use 2x4 to stretch across two or more ribs. I used #12 or #14 self drilling hex head screws that were just long enough to go through the 2x and 1/2" beyond the rib. I suggest using just one wall to hang stuff and leave the other bare. This will give you more room to move around. I also made a shelf out of 1 1/2" angle and mounted it to the front. I notched the very front piece of angle so I could bend it to conform to the curve of the trailer. The shelf goes all the way across the front so I was able to bolt the sides of the shelf to the sides of the trailer so it's self-standing. I used flat expanded metal for the bottom of it so any dirt would fall through. I then bolted a piece of 1x6 oak for the face of the shelf. I keep my chain saw, hedge trimmer, loppers, spare blades, two cycle oil, tools, and other misc. stuff here. For trimmer line, I bolted a piece of 1/2" all-thread to a 1x3 and then bolted that to the side of the trailer just above the front shelf. Good luck. I hope this helped.

teamoneoutdoors
02-17-2007, 01:13 PM
We have two enclosed trailers. In addition, I have owned seven others in the past from Featherlites, Pace, Haulmarks, Carry On, and now a Covenant.

We had the same problem with the Carry On when we looked at mounting anything to the walls. We found that most of the side wall supports are not made of box tubing but made of a three sided channel. Furthermore the wall is luan or at the most 1/2 inch plywood.

In order to give the sidewalls more support from flexing and to add additional strenth for mounting, we added 3/4 inch plywood to the wall where we were planning on mounting our trimmer racks, etc. We fastened the plywood with selftaping screws and the fastened the rack to the plywood using large lag screws.

Adding 2x4 will help but we chose to add strength to the entire wall spreading out the load.

Good Luck.

Poncho25
02-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks for all the replys and ideas, one last request, can any of you post a picture here in the thread or send it to me so I can get a better idea on how you have it set up to help me further? Thanks again.

jeffscap
02-17-2007, 07:23 PM
We also used 1x3's that were screwed and glued to the trailer ribs,with hangers screwed to them for weed eaters , gas hedge trimmers, blowers. Screwed a tool rack system to the front wall for misc, tools shovels,rakes etc.,with a hanging shelf from the top ribs in front. EZ tie down system on the floor for the mowers,walk behinds riders etc.

justanotherlawnguy
02-18-2007, 01:06 AM
i use the 1x3 option with the self tapping screws

here is a pic for you.

supercuts
02-18-2007, 01:59 PM
i wish i smart liek that and went wider than the 6.5' i got

supercuts
02-18-2007, 02:00 PM
by the way, do it all on one side so you can still easily walk past it on the opposite side if you pull your mowers in rather than back in like that last pic

UrbanAppealLawnCare
03-23-2010, 08:53 PM
A special thanks goes out to you guys!
justanotherlawnguy, you pic really helped!

here is what we came up with

side note for people doing this, as i did find this information hard to find

i used 1 1/4 selftapping screws EXCEPT where the crappy thin walls have a crappy thin border that over laps it. I found it was slightly too thick to allow the 1 1/4 screw to bite into the ribbing. so i used 1 1/2 selftapping screws at those points.
also...at some points it seemed as if the screw was not drilling itself through the ribbing..check it sometimes the tip gets damaged or breaks off...if it happens get another screw ;)
the wood along the base of the walls was another great idea i found on here, last thing you want is a aerator coming loose and slamming through your wall!

here are a couple pics i basically stole ideas from various people on here...i think it will make things efficient and organized... oh in the front top right that is a little railing that is on hinges, behind it is our hedge trimmer if anyone is wondering. to the left of it there is a small area for oil, mixes, bags, ect.

and yes that is a home made trimmer rack, BOO YEA! lol

LawnGuy73
04-01-2010, 07:19 AM
I posted pictures in another thread if they help.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=311290