PDA

View Full Version : Buying a super Z which motor should I get?

dlgunn
02-15-2007, 12:30 PM
I am looking at buying a 60” super z in the next month or so. I was wondering which motor to get. 26hp liquid cooled, 27 hp or the 30 hp. I understand there was some problems with the 30 hp have these all been worked out. Do the flex forks make much of a difference?

Thanks
Danny

Metro Lawn
02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
27 or 30 Kohler

mowerconsultant
02-21-2007, 06:18 PM
All of those engines are great choices.
The 30 did have some issues last spring, but they have been resolved and that engine is sweet.
The Flex Forks make a huge difference in the ride, you really need to ride a mower with them on to feel the difference.

Pj

blackandgold
02-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Flex Forks are sweeeeeeet!

26hp Kaw is really quiet, but I think either of the 2 Kohlers will have more power in the grass for you. Now, the 28EFI has lots of power, and is priced close to the LC Kaw.

Shady Brook
02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
I would go with the 28 efi first, and I would pick the 27 over the 30. I have both a 27 and 30, and can not tell the difference in power, and I think the 30 is more finiky. Just my opinion. I would love to see the big block vanguard 32 on my 60's.

Bunton Guy
02-22-2007, 06:29 PM
until you bend a set! not cheap to keep replacing.

mowerconsultant
02-22-2007, 09:48 PM
until you bend a set! not cheap to keep replacing.

Bend a set? FlexForks?
I have yet to see a single one bent let alone a set.
Or our std forks for that matter.

Pj

bullant47
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I am looking at buying a 60” super z in the next month or so. I was wondering which motor to get. 26hp liquid cooled, 27 hp or the 30 hp. I understand there was some problems with the 30 hp have these all been worked out. Do the flex forks make much of a difference?

Thanks
Danny

I am in Australia and have a 28hp Super Z. The machine has only 17.5 hours on it and has been back to the Dealer last week and Kohler advised them to replace both pistons. The engine was blowing heaps of smoke on start up which disapeared within 30 seconds. Also the machine would lose power and the check engine light would illuminate and the machine would sometimes revive itself and run again but also on two occasions would not restart requiring towing back to the dealer.
Has anyone else had problems with similar symptoms?
Thanking You
Ken

Scraper
03-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I am in Australia and have a 28hp Super Z. The machine has only 17.5 hours on it and has been back to the Dealer last week and Kohler advised them to replace both pistons. The engine was blowing heaps of smoke on start up which disapeared within 30 seconds. Also the machine would lose power and the check engine light would illuminate and the machine would sometimes revive itself and run again but also on two occasions would not restart requiring towing back to the dealer.
Has anyone else had problems with similar symptoms?
Thanking You
Ken

Yes...although the smoke went away after about 100 hours. I still get it on occasion if I don't let it idle a bit before shutting off, but not what it was like when brand new. I was told the valves needed to get seated. As for the loss of power. Check the ground screw on the relay. I believe it is the relay...it is a square "plastic" box on the rear of the engine. Mine cut off in the middle of a property. Would jump fine until I engaged the blades and then would die in conjunction with draining the battery enough that no cranking could occur. A few turns on the grounding screw and it was good to go.