PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone use a universal igniter?

Big Clipper
02-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Older jacobsen 48" walk behind Crew Chief model 068457 ser 1601 I been trying to start this mower but it has no spark I tried a different coil, check for continuity the only thing left is this igniter, it is reading 1.282 on res. check. The mower engine is a 12.5 kawasaki FB460v cs14 The igniter was connected to a small box where the handles mounts next to the fuel tank I not sure if this should be connected to the coil or where it is connected now ? The machine did not run when it was bought Winter project to help my son to save for college ( he will have to work) I have been trying for a month to find some info on the mower but I just seem to get no where .So this is why I was looking into the universal igniter , they seem to be a lot cheaper than the original replacement and I not 100% sure its the igniter that I need I have no desire to throw money away!! Any response would be a great help. Waiting for HIS soon return Thanks Doug

Restrorob
02-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Perform the test below, The igniter you are speaking of will not work in place of the factory unit. It's made to take the place of points. The module by the fuel tank is for the safety switch system, If the coil and igniter test OK disconnect this safety module or black ground wire from the engine and check for spark again.

Restrorob
02-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Here's the part that got cut off the bottom. :hammerhead:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FB460Ignitortest.jpg?t=1171597582

pugs
02-16-2007, 11:02 AM
I have never messed much with Kawasakis that have this system so I dunno exactly what it does if there is more to it than just an igniter module.

However I did a little experiment this past winter. I had an old Toro snow thrower with a Suzuki engine on it sitting here with no spark. The ignition components(coil+module) cost in the area of $150+...and there is no good way to test which one is for sure the problem. So I ordered one of those aftermarket little modules just to give it a try. Worked like a champ. I have been using the snowblower at my house this winter.

Also, if you look in Stens or Oregon(forget which, maybe both) I think the Kawasaki part numbers for their igniter actually cross to these aftermarket modules...so someone must have tried it in the past.

Restrorob
02-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Also, if you look in Stens or Oregon(forget which, maybe both) I think the Kawasaki part numbers for their igniter actually cross to these aftermarket modules...so someone must have tried it in the past.

Hmmm, I checked both Stens and Oregon catalogs and found no listing for a Kawasaki igniter and no cross reference. The Stens # 440-065 states "Takes the place of points and condenser" and has no cross reference numbers listed.

pugs
02-16-2007, 02:14 PM
I dunno if Stens catalogs differ around the country or not, but look for the Mega-Fire II Universal Ignition Module. Right at the beginning of the description in my book it says Kawasaki 21119-2161 which is the most current Kawasaki part number that most of the FB460 ones forward to.

Its on page 108 in my book.

http://www.stens.com/dealernet/catalog.html?sType=5&part=440465

Same description online.

Restrorob
02-16-2007, 10:07 PM
OK Pugs, That must have been a older catalog I looked in. I didn't check the date so I stand corrected. :hammerhead:

pugs
02-16-2007, 10:48 PM
OK Pugs, That must have been a older catalog I looked in. I didn't check the date so I stand corrected. :hammerhead:

The only reason I remember kawasaki being mentioned was because I had a junk FB460 here that I was gonna try and steal the module from to use on this little trial/error project. Unfortunately the Kawasaki was too new, so it didnt have a module...LOL. But as you were saying earlier about something to do with safety systems there may have been another more complicated Kawasaki Module that this one would not replace.

I think these things will work on just about any system that had points or an igniter...because really thats all the OEM's did was either add a module or evenutally integrate the module into the coil as just about everyone has it today.

How good they are, I dunno...but they sure beat the 50-90 OEM price. And there are 2 of them now at least...The Megafire and Megafire II. I forget exactly what the difference is...I did some reading on them before I picked the one I got. I think either one will work in most applications though.

Big Clipper
02-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for your input and quick response to my problem . I have e-mailed different online suppliers to see if the igniter modules will work with my engine. I will keep you posted on my progress on my findings. Thanks Doug