PDA

View Full Version : What I have been working on!!!

Total.Lawn.Care
02-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Here is a current project for additional service to my Lawn Care Business. What do you guys think?

Total.Lawn.Care
02-16-2007, 09:24 AM
And here are some pictues of my Lawn Care Rig!!! Truck is dirty, but I finally got some pics...

LindblomRJ
02-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Is there any way you can roll off the preasure washer? Thinking about getting into areas where it would be difficult to get the trailer to.

Total.Lawn.Care
02-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Is there any way you can roll off the preasure washer? Thinking about getting into areas where it would be difficult to get the trailer to.

Just have ALOT of hose. I currently have 200 ft and will up that to 400-500 ft over the next month or two.

Raven386
02-16-2007, 09:30 AM
how much did that set-up cost you? if ya dont mind me asking.

Total.Lawn.Care
02-16-2007, 09:48 AM
I have been putting this together in pieces because brand new, the unit that I wanted was $11,000. The actual pressure washer that I have here is not as big (or expensive) as the one that I wanted on that $11,000 rig, but it will do for now. As to what I have in it, lets see.

Used Hot Water Pressure Washer
(4 GPM, 4000psi, up tp 200 deg F) $1900
Extra Hose and Surface Cleaner $850
Trailer $1025
Tanks (525 gal and 50 gal) $453
Hose Reels (Currently being Shipped) $350
Misc Hardware and Straps, etc. $400

So, I have about $5K in it. The hose reels should be her early next week to go on it. The second hose reel is for the chemical applicator system (what the small tank is for, and it has a 12V DC water pump running it). I have already paid for the 300' of hose that is to go on it.

So, for less than half the price of a new $11,000-$13,000 unit, I have a great pressure washing set-up, and it has Hot Water so that I can get the oil stains and such at commercial accounts.

Raven386
02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
how do you charge for P/W ? is there a set price to go by? i was looking into getting a washer, under $1K.

Lawn Enforcer
02-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Looks like a good set-up to me! Like the lawn and 'washing rig!

MarcSmith
02-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm doing something similar, but I'm mounting my Hotssy to a golf cart with the hose reel.

the hose reel has over 500' of 1.5" fire hose. I am going to divide the big reel into 3 sections, fire hose, garden hose and pressure hose. behind the hose reel they are working on a mounts for my hotssy hot water pressure washer.

Its gonna be my Crash Cart of sorts....

Total.Lawn.Care
02-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Raven, I would almost bet that if you spend less than $1K, you will not get a pressure washer with enough power and durability to handle this in the commercial business. Just like our commercial mowers, the are built with faster blade tip speeds, more horsepower and larger, more durable frames and decks to that they can handle the abuse we throw at them.

Pressure washing is not any different. You need good, high pressue (I recommend over 3000psi) and good gallons per minute (GMP, and I recommend no less than 3.5 GPM). You can get a commercial unit from Home Depot for $999. It is a Dewalt, but it is not like the ones you will buy from a pressure cleaning dealer. Plus, we know all about the "Lack of Service Issue" and the Big Box Stores.

If you do not want Hot Water, you can get a good, Belt Drive Unit for around $1500. But, think about the professionalism (or lack of) when you drag it out of the back of your truck and hook up your water hose to the customers water spicket. Additionally, unless you have a tank set-up, you always need a water supply on the job. This way, I can pressure clean anywhere because I take my water with me.

PM me if you have questions about the pressure washing.

Raven386
02-16-2007, 11:49 AM
i didnt know Pressure washers were that much$$$. i was looking at the tanks with the pump and heater in them and all that good stuff. is there money to be made in it? (power washing) im still a little nervous about putting a hole in someones siding. but i want to expand the services i offer. i know you just can cut grass in this business.

Total.Lawn.Care
02-16-2007, 12:13 PM
i didnt know Pressure washers were that much$$$. i was looking at the tanks with the pump and heater in them and all that good stuff. is there money to be made in it? (power washing) im still a little nervous about putting a hole in someones siding. but i want to expand the services i offer. i know you just can cut grass in this business.

I did not realize it until I got started. Oh course, I almost fell over buying an $8000 lawn mower as well.

Yes, there is money in it. Houses - 1 storey, $.75-$1 per linear foot of exterior wall. $1.50-$2.00 per linear foot of wall. Driveways, sidewalks - $.08-$.10 per sqaure foot.

If you do it, you will want to get a surface cleaner. Looks like a floor buffer, but with rotating water jets under a shroud that spray rotating water about 1" from the surface. Cleans concrete really quickly. They range from $200-$1500. The one I got is the $1500 one that I purchased used at 1/2 price.

If you can get commercial accounts, they have sidewalks cleaned regularly. There is also gas stations, bank and restraurant drive thrus, etc.

I know some guys that all they do is pressure wash heavy crane equipment on our ports when the machines break down. They clean away all of the grease and such so that the machines can be fixed.

I saw a trailer mounted Hotsy 1260 on ebay for about $4K starting bid. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170079891540&rd=1&rd=1 The Hotsy 1260 is the unti that I want. When I make enough money, I will replace the unit on my trailer with the Hosty.

robbo521
02-16-2007, 01:33 PM
man that is real nice!people around here dont want big thngs in front of there house,they dont like seeing people with mowers on the back but how you going to do it.the only problem i see is you will lose pressure the more line you have.

BTLS
02-16-2007, 02:37 PM
can you really make good money doing that? i mean, practically? I would seriously consider doing that. Lot less pressure washers out here than mowers.

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
02-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Pressure washing is huge! I added it to my business. I have a unit similiar to the one on the opening picture. The only difference is that my burner is mounted horizontal. I advertise to all of my clients. I mostly pick up driveways, homes and patios. Take the advice given on buying a unit. Remember, pressure is used to break away the "dirt" from the surface that the chemicals have lifted. GPM's rinse it away. Remember... chemicals are the key! Then, you can add items like surface cleaners (I live by mine!), extension wands etc. For some real good advice and technical direction, check out: Pressure.Net.Net You'll find years of great advice here. Think about it, offering your lawn clients landscaping and pressure washing... nothing like a package deal!
Jay

Lawnworks
02-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I thought about going into the pressure washing business several years ago. My problem w/ it is that you can only bill out for 1 man hour at a time. With one crew in landscaping and maintenance you can bill out for 3-5 man hours at a time. The work doesn't seem to be as reoccurring as maintenance either.

Oh well, I have a sweet pressure washer to clean equipment with, it is also nice to clean drives and walks after an install.

John Gamba
02-16-2007, 05:47 PM
It looks like a big beer bong.

DoetschOutdoor
02-16-2007, 08:09 PM
How long does that tank last you before re-filling? How much pressure washing do you do over the course of a year?

Total.Lawn.Care
02-16-2007, 09:47 PM
How long does that tank last you before re-filling? How much pressure washing do you do over the course of a year?

I am not sure, but I will find out. I know some guys around here ca pressure wash houses all day without filling thier tank. I have the 525 gallon, so I imagine I will be able to go for quite a while.

Raven386
02-18-2007, 01:07 AM
good luck with everything!

corey4671
02-18-2007, 03:59 PM
do you fill your nurse tank from your home spicket or do you have somewhere like a lake where you could fill it with a pump?

Total.Lawn.Care
02-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Fill it at home. Takes about an hour to fill completely. I pressure washed my own house on Saturday, it took about 2 hours (I did not use any chemicals, and I also did some fince while I was at it) and I used about 350 gallons. After talking to another guy I know in the business. He says that he always hooks up a hose to his tank while at a customers, and basically replaces the water that he used at the customers house. In our area, our residental water service charges $32 per month for up to 10,000 gallons usage, and then like $1 per 1,000 gallons onver that. So, the water is actually cheap, for myself and for the customer.

corey4671
02-18-2007, 10:28 PM
that is frickin awesome! My water bill just for my house runs near $60 a month and I ain't filling up 350 gallon tanks! We get ripped off where I live! I KNOW I ain't using nowhere NEAR 10000 gallons a month!! I think I'm gonna buy a tank, cut off my residential water service and come down there and buy my water!

Groh's Mows
02-20-2007, 06:10 AM
Total, is your 1500HD a 2001 or a 2002? It has the 6.0 liter and 4 speed auto, right? Any major problems with the truck? How does it pull/stop your pressure washer trailer when the tank is full and are you running trailer brakes on the washer trailer(heavy I would bet). That is a sharp looking rig and I am looking at a 2002 1500HD 4X4 with 80,000+ miles and just wondering if yours has given you any problems.

Total.Lawn.Care
02-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Groh's, my HD is a 2001. I bought it about 3 months ago with 96,000 miles on it. Yes, 6.0 Vortec with 4 Speed Auto. I have had no problems so far. This one was well taken care of.

I do not yet have brakes on the Pressure Washer Trailer, but they will be added soon. I do have brakes on the Enclosed Trailer. The truck pulls them both just fine. I went from a '94 F-150 5.0 with 268,000 miles to the Chevy, and the first time I pulled the enclosed trailer with it, I was running 80 on the interstate and did not realize it. Much better around town as well because the truck has the torque and power for all the take offs from red lights and such. Like like it and it adds a good image to the company. I do need to wash it though. Just not enough time in the day.

Seacoast
02-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Nice setup, there is definitely a good market for pressure washing and there are not too many people doin it--Good luck!

Azrael
02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
What brand & model P/W is that? I started looking around online after reading this thread and would like to know. Think P/W might be a money maker in my area. Very sweet looking setup BTW!!

Total.Lawn.Care
02-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks...

I am not really sure of the make on this one, as I got it used, for a REALLY good price and it has been WELL taken care of. The guy I bought it from has been in this business for 12 years, adn he does not buy junk.

It is the same as the ones in the following links:

http://store.spraymallstore.com/noname6.html
http://www.pwmall.com/detail.aspx?ID=2993
http://www.ultimatewasher.com/hot-gasoline-power-washers.htm (the 13HP model)

I have the General EZ4040 pump, (4 GMP and 4000 psi) with the 13HP Honda, electric start.

I want a Hotsy model 1260, but they retail at $8000 just for the unit. I have about $5K in this setup, due to the lower price of the used equipment and building it myself.

Azrael
02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Where'd you get the tanks from? Are they just poly storage tanks?

Total.Lawn.Care
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Ordered mine from Loomis Tank. They are Polyethylene Water Transport Tanks. Here is the link http://www.loomistank.com/transport.html. They are in CA, but one of the manufacturers is the Norwestco Plant here in Griffin Ga, so I just did a customer lickup from the manufacturing plant and saved the shipping. They ship form several plants all over the country. If you are really interested in this, PM me and I will send you the contact info for the salesman that I talked to at Loomis.

I can give you a whole rundown on some online suppliers and ways to save some money putting your own rig together. There are some things that you may want to get from your local Power Washing Dealer, just to establish a relationship in case you need something quick. But these things are fairly simple machines and you can fix almost anything on them. They guy that I bought my unit from gets almost everything online and he has been in business for 12 years.

Mega
02-21-2007, 04:49 PM
By looking at the trailer length, it seems you have left your self room to grow.

Total.Lawn.Care
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Yes, I bought this trailer for two reasons. It was cheaper and two feet longer than the ones offered and supplied by the PW dealer. I have seen the set-ups they put together with 14' trailers and they get small very quickly when you start adding the extra stuff... This one is two feet longer and will give my plenty of room when I upgrade to the Hotsy 1260.

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
02-21-2007, 07:35 PM
To just to add what Total said... check out this site. This is where I buy got my unit from: www.amazingmachinery.com In addition, here is another outstanding site: www.dcs1.com For a wealth of knowledge from the pros (forum), check out: www.pressurenet.net
Jay

haybaler
03-24-2007, 07:47 AM
I am not sure, but I will find out. I know some guys around here ca pressure wash houses all day without filling thier tank. I have the 525 gallon, so I imagine I will be able to go for quite a while.

I was under the impression that you needed 20 psi inlet pressure? Obviously the tank supplys plenty GPM, but is the pressure adequate to run the pump properly? also I imagine you must have to be careful driving the trailer when the tank is 1/2-3/4 full because the water movement would push the trailer around?

haybaler
03-24-2007, 07:51 AM
well, I just read that the commercial belt driven pumps are meant to suck water out of the tank, so now I feel like an idiot

Idealtim
03-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I see your driveway is starting to get filled up quite nicely, I know the feeling! Nice setup by the way-looks like a money maker.