PDA

View Full Version : Another thumbs down for Isuzu Diesel

Rons Rightway Lawncare
02-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Went to a new Lesco location in my area for their open house. Brought my Isuzu so I could pick up some fertilzer, and the truck got some attention and I got to talking to one guy who also owns a Isuzu. He owns a late model Isuzu with a 14 foot box with a dovetail, and the 190 hp Diesel engine. He tells me it doesn't matter how he drives the truck, it gets 10 miles to the gallon like clockwork.

Meanwhile.... my gasser has more power, better acceleration, less engine noise in the cab, cheaper to service, cheaper to buy parts for, cheaper to rebuild or replace, much easier to get serviced, costs thousands less to buy, and costs less for the fuel itself. And I am averaging around 9 mpg. A one MPG loss over the diesel, which I do not think is worth all the drawbacks of the diesel.

For the average person, I do not see any reason so choose a diesel engine in a new Isuzu NPR. For used ones, I would be tempted to choose diesel over the old Chevy 350 Gas engine option they used for years, but not over the new 6.0 liter gasser they offer now.

A week ago, a friend who is a dentist, and also a pilot felt something weird as he landed his airplane as a airport 30-40 miles away from his homebase airport. Turns out the landing gear attachment points inside the plane had cracked and the gear was ready to break at any momment. So we pulled the wings off it, and then put the wings in a U haul truck and rolled the plane itself onto my Isuzu, and we transported it to his house on Lake Norman for repairs. I had a 160 thousand dollar airplane on my truck and didn't bring my camera!!! Anyway, driving out to that airport empty, and then hauling the plane at 55 mph or less, and then driving home totaled over 140 miles and I averaged my milage after that trip and was close to 11 mpg.

Marek
02-16-2007, 12:24 PM
You need to allow for the air drag on the box van when comparing it to a flat bed.

vntgrcr
02-16-2007, 03:04 PM
You also have to understand the dynamics of torque vs. horsepower and where those numbers are created in the RPM scale. I can tell you have your mind made up about which one YOU want, but for others, with different applications the diesel is the way to go. At least for me and what I do, that is why I am anxiously awaiting my 2007 NPR dump with the "wimpy" diesel" in 2-3 weeks.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
02-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Marek, the box is alot of drag, but all that open expanded metal is worse for drag than the solid walls of a box. The box truck should weight a bit more though so your right, it isn't apples to apples.

David, did you test drive two trucks, one with gas and one with diesel? Did you look at the torque curve charts on both engines? I drove trucks with both engines, the diesel did not have the torque feel of say a Diesel powered pickup truck. It felt taxed and this was unloaded. The Gas engine has so much more power and has enough torque at low rpms, that from a stoplight the truck almost wants to spin the tires if you step on the gas pedal too hard. It is a very noticable difference between the engines.

I am not telling YOU that YOU shouldn't get the diesel... get whatever floats your boat! But I see people on this site making suggestions to others that the diesel engine is the best possible engine, be it a lawnmower, a pickup truck, a cabover, whatever..... My experience and research tells me the Diesel is not the way to go with these trucks. I can not see anywhere the diesel outshines the gas with these trucks other than expected lifespan, but looking at the used market it seems most of the diesel trucks did not make it past 200 thousand miles without a engine replacement or rebuild of some sort, and I think the Gas engines if taken care of will do 200 thousand at least, possibly more.

Tadams
02-17-2007, 12:09 AM
I'm with you on the gassers over the diesels, Ron. Unfortunately, I have the older 350 motor in mine but I also have the 350 in my other truck so I am very familiar with them. I started to keep up with my MPG but I realized that it doesn't matter because it is what I wanted to haul my equipment in and it gives my company the appearance that I want to portray. I looked at the open bodies very hard. They are a lot easier to see around and easier to access the equipment. But, I don't have a good storage facility and I don't want to keep the equipment outside. There are definitely more open trucks around here than there are box trucks. Either way you go, the cab overs are the way to go!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
02-17-2007, 02:05 AM
http://www.isuzucv.com/engines/4h_performance.html

The diesel has a little more torque, but power drops off hard after 2600 rpms...