PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation Direct?

irrig8r
02-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Don't know if any of you have seen the ads in a couple of trade magazines... email them and give them the code number from the ad and get a cool looking logo embroidered hat within a few days.

Anyway, I did that, and it was the hook that got me to check out their site (www.irrigationdirect.com).

It's kind of interesting.

Basically, they took a Weathermatic 12000 series valve, and changed the solenoid to a typical Hardie/ Richdel/ Irritrol thread pattern. Brass inserts in the body, four stainless hex bolts. A time-tested design, but with a solenoid change.

They also offer a controller that is 90% a Hunter Pro-C, but with a base of six stations, and expandable by 3 to 15. Includes a patented (adjustable) auto daylight savings change, a lithium backup battery access door, a spring loaded manual holder and other stuff.

The modules are interchangeable with Hunter Pro-C modules, and the Hunter remote works with it too.

Their prices are phenomenal. They offer a 3 year warranty. You can call and talk to the President and CEO (Bill Hayes, formerly of Automatic Rain > Horizon and R-Co parts.)

And maybe it's just cause I'm in CA and they are too, but the carton (shipping included in the valve price) arrived next day.. placed my order 3 PM on Thursday, package arrived noon on Friday. BTW, shipping is by DHL and trackable online almost by the hour...mine went from Dublin, CA, down to Fresno (to DHL's distribution center) and then back to me in San Jose, CA. I betcha they could get an order to anywhere in the country in a couple of days.

The two products they offer so far are sold by case quantities only: 10 inline valves or 3 modular controllers. Each case comes with a free hat. They say they stock replacement parts too. They plan to offer pop-up spray heads and nozzles soon.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the service. the valves are basic, no frills but sturdy and proven design. Overall, a positive experience.

Wet_Boots
02-16-2007, 02:23 PM
When it comes to obtaining quality irrigation products, the first thing I ask is "Do I get a free hat?" :p

irrig8r
02-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Well, I know... that would be pretty stupid... however, the free hat just for contacting them was part of what got my attention enough to hit their website, and from there I hemmed and hawed a little until I saw that Bill Hayes was involved... and that got me off the fence to make the decision to place an order and give them a try.

The free hat in every box is probably a way for them to overcome the Hunter Preferred/ Rainbird Rewards points thing. And maybe good marketing to suck guys like me in... and get you to advertise for them :-)

But the value is definitely there... if you can get over the fact that there is no "brick and mortar" store to get your stuff from, or take it back to when there's a problem.

It's a different business model to be sure... but somehow I think it will catch on with both contractors and DIYs with big enough projects for case quantities.

Flow Control
02-16-2007, 03:40 PM
I checked them out as well. Feel like they are making a copy of a copy. And what do you tell your customers; well I am going to try a new product line that copies other manufacturers but it will save me 20 bucks or so, can I use your system to see if they reliable over the next couple of years btw I got a free hat so I can advertise for them? I want to know where the parts are made.

The prices are not great. Maybe save 5%??

And I remember hearing somewhere on this site something to the effect of "The bitterness of poor quality will last longer then the bitterness of price"

Flow Control
02-16-2007, 03:44 PM
irrig8ter

I like your website

Flow Control
02-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Irrig8ter, I have a question for you Cali companies. In the state where I live it is common for LCO's to have a tax exempt number and they don't pay taxes on their supplies since they pass the tax onto the enduser. A company in CA said that everyone pays tax when getting supplies, any input?

laylow1994
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
i want a free hat... give me the promo code....

irrig8r
02-16-2007, 04:39 PM
I pay sales tax on all purchases. Irrigation Direct is in CA, so I pay sales tax when I buy from them too.

I used to have a resale number back in the early 80s, but realized all it did was make me a funnel for the tax money anyway and cause me extra paperwork no matter how little I had to report.

irrig8r
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Code 254. From page 55 of Irrigation and Green Industry, January 2007 issue..

irrig8r
02-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks ICS. Made it myself with GoDaddy.com software...

laylow1994
02-16-2007, 06:18 PM
where do i put that code in at????

irritation
02-16-2007, 06:49 PM
where do i put that code in at????

http://www.irrigationdirect.com/promo.asp

laylow1994
02-16-2007, 06:57 PM
thanks alot for the code now i can add that hat with my many others.... any where else i can get free hats????

zman9119
02-16-2007, 08:27 PM
any where else i can get free hats????

Sign up for the Toro Contractors program. You get a free hat and shirt!!! Irritrol will send you free crap too if you want it.

.mz

irrig8r
02-16-2007, 08:41 PM
thanks alot for the code now i can add that hat with my many others.... any where else i can get free hats????

Toro has had an offer for nifty hats I've seen...but of course, I don't use their products unless forced to...

Don't get me wrong, I like a few Irritrol products, an i suppose the Toro-branded equivalents are as good, but the original Toro designs, like the Green Keeper (piece of crap), the Vision (a bad idea for a controller... hopefully you've never heard of it and never will), 250 series valves (I think they changed the diaphragm design 3 times), Flo Pro valves (diaphragm and a stupid solenoid design with no leads)...

As they say, your mileage may vary....

Wet_Boots
02-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Flo Pro is no mo - Toro gave up trying to imitate the Richdel design and bought the company (Hardie) instead.

I wonder if the imitation-WM valves these guys are selling can be repaired with genuine WM diaphragms.

irritation
02-16-2007, 09:05 PM
I find it hard to believe they can get away with designing their products so similar to others.

Wet_Boots
02-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Patents can and do expire. Most of the early 'me-too' valves were knockoffs of the original Richdel R-204, and could be serviced with Richdel parts. Not sure about the timer, though, or even what might be patent-able abut the timers.

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 10:36 PM
I find it hard to believe they can get away with designing their products so similar to others.

Heck... go to the Rain Bird site. You'll find a rotor that they make that fits right into the Hunter PGP body in order to replace it with their product. They market it including Hunter's name. :laugh:

Too bad the major manufacturers don't have a way to standardize all their sprinkler bodies. Then we'd be able to switch out to whichever company is making the hottest and most endurable product at the best price without replacing bodies too. :)

irritation
02-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Heck... go to the Rain Bird site. You'll find a rotor that they make that fits right into the Hunter PGP body in order to replace it with their product. They market it including Hunter's name. :laugh:

Well I guess Hunter did it also with the Maxi-Paw to PGP replacement. That was a joke.:laugh:

PurpHaze
02-16-2007, 10:51 PM
The more the merrier. Course... they need a decent replacement. :laugh:

Rainman7
02-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I've been looking at their website for a while and thinking about trying them out on a job or two.
The "additional features" it has are great ideas that King Hunter should of thought about awhile ago.

Daylight savings time!! not having to remind service guys to set the clocks to compensate for that and getting a call back to reset them because we didn't do our job right the first time.

Manual holder and a pencil holder!!I guess its much easier to balance the big Pro-C manual on top of the clock and hope its stays there at least until the customer see's it.

I would also miss buying that expensive 9 zone module that costs more than the clock to get 15 zones.:dizzy:

Comes standard with 6 zones!! for that 4,5 or 6 zone job should I save money and just go with a SRC,go with the Pro-C and hope I have a module?

Big Display that everyone could read!! I would miss mounting a clock so the 6' husband could see the display and he brings out his 5' wife because she "runs those things". Thats ok, there is usually a stool around so she could see the little circle with a line through it on the day schedule at the bottom of the screen

Maybe this is a wake up call for Hunter. Spend some of that money we give you on product development.

I'm sure I will still be using Hunter. I think it would be hard to sell a no name brand here on L.I.

PurpHaze
02-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Actually a quite interesting site. If their products hold up over time testing by contractors installing them then I could see the case lots and price advantage.

One thing that puzzles me is their valve solenoid. It states in their material under valve problems checklist: "Check voltage at the solenoid for at least 21 VAC minimum 24 VAC is optimal." A lot of the industry standard solenoids will fire with as little as 13 VAC applied which accounts for lost voltage on longer runs, undersized wiring and with "voltage leakage" problems (resistance). Of course, with only 3/4" and 1" valves these products seem to be set up for normal residential or small commercial situations.

Wet_Boots
02-17-2007, 12:27 PM
They might be spec'ing a higher voltage to allow for higher supply pressures, since higher pressures require more solenoid force for the valve to open. The only thing I don't like about the WM valve is the manual operation lever, since it doesn't work well with my overcrowded valve box layouts.

Flow Control
02-17-2007, 01:09 PM
The only thing I don't like about the WM valve is the manual operation lever, since it doesn't work well with my overcrowded valve box layouts.

Not to many contractors use them around here, but I find them to be the easiest when winterizing from the boxes.

irrig8r
02-17-2007, 04:10 PM

Could be expired patents... or maybe they actually licensed the designs... has to be one or the other...

koster_irrigation
02-18-2007, 09:43 AM
I signed up for the free hat

PurpHaze
02-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Went to your site Gregg and I'm quite impressed. You've done a great job on it. :clapping:

gusbuster
02-19-2007, 12:17 AM
You do have a very nice site Greg.

How do you figure only a 5% price savings when you take into account standard on a Pro- C comes with a 3 station and to get another 3 if needed is another $25, where as the irrigation direct comes standard with 6 station. Just a quick question.

Of course I am thinking you probably use the same suppliers in this area.

Nice to see another person from my general area. Again Nice site.

John

Flow Control
02-19-2007, 08:45 AM
How do you figure only a 5% price savings when you take into account standard on a Pro- C comes with a 3 station and to get another 3.John

I came up with 5%, when ID first came out the timer was about $2.50 cheaper then a Hunter timer. Now it is few dollars cheaper almost a year later since Hunter had a increase. I do see the point about the extra 3 stations (extra $20). But how about the point of when a timer goes bad (since sooner or later things do go bad), how long is the system going to be without a timer? 3-5 days mail each way to the East Coast? Or you can have the rep help you, wait never mind they don't have any reps in my area. So I guess the only option would be to take the timer out of someones house call ID to get a number so you get free shipping. Put the timer in the mail the next day (add up a few hrs of you own time) and wait a week or two for a new one. That won't work in season. Or if you use a name brand that is sold in your area you take the defective one back and get a new one and have the customers system down for a day, you pick.

Rainman7
02-19-2007, 09:07 AM
I came up with 5%, when ID first came out the timer was about $2.50 cheaper then a Hunter timer. Now it is few dollars cheaper almost a year later since Hunter had a increase. I do see the point about the extra 3 stations (extra $20). But how about the point of when a timer goes bad (since sooner or later things do go bad), how long is the system going to be without a timer? 3-5 days mail each way to the East Coast? Or you can have the rep help you, wait never mind they don't have any reps in my area. So I guess the only option would be to take the timer out of someones house call ID to get a number so you get free shipping. Put the timer in the mail the next day (add up a few hrs of you own time) and wait a week or two for a new one. That won't work in season. Or if you use a name brand that is sold in your area you take the defective one back and get a new one and have the customers system down for a day, you pick.

Or......you could be a professional company and stock a couple of clock/modules on your truck(s) and replace the timer on the spot, save a second trip to the house and in turn save yourself some money.:)

Also, if you happen to come across a bad Pro-C(chances are while still under warranty) you could upgrade them to a clock with some more user friendly features,larger display, and a longer warranty. Take the Hunter under warranty off the wall and bring it back to your dist. and have them credit your account for a couple more bucks than it cost you to replace their timer.

But wait.......dont get me wrong...i'm not suggesting you be unfaithful to Hunter and risk being banished from the irrigation community.:dizzy:

Remote Pigtails
02-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Cutting out the middleman has its risks. I'm doing that with my connectors. We need our distributors and I have great ones. Sometimes you pay a little more with a distributor to have that all important trust factor. A lot more is different. The other day I got a call from somebody wanting to sell me funny pipe ells, slip fixes, and wire connectors direct.

Flow Control
02-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Or......you could be a professional company

But wait.......dont get me wrong...:dizzy:

Nice..... I guess I will bow down to your superior professionalism regarding a start-up company and I can now be found in the Homeowners section.

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Nice..... I guess I will bow down to your superior professionalism regarding a start-up company and I can now be found in the Homeowners section.

Holy crap Batman! What's that make me??? I'm not even a company. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 10:50 AM
But wait.......dont get me wrong...i'm not suggesting you be unfaithful to Hunter and risk being banished from the irrigation community.:dizzy:

Some irrigators don't use Hunter products at all. Doesn't make them less of an irrigator though. Thank goodness we do have a choice of products to fit our personal and professional needs. :)

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 10:58 AM
The major difference between purchasing products through a distributor and via direct sell is that the purchaser becomes the distributor in a way. If you purchase direct you would not have that "immediate return and replacement through distributors" alternative of replacing something that has gone bad. It would be very prudent then to maintain a certain sustainable inventory of valves, sprinklers, controllers, etc. so that you, the installer, now becomes the distributor and immediately replaces the item in the field. You must have a sustainable inventory to both make your customer satisfied with an immediate fix and to wait out the amount of time for replacements to arrive. Replacement products would then just go into your inventory as back-ups for the next problem. You will need to be prudent in that you have enough inventory on hand to take care of projected problems yet not have too much inventory that would affect your cash flow.

gusbuster
02-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Unlike the regular distributor where you could go to the likes of Ewing or Horizon irrigation and buy what you need, you have to buy in case\box quantity irrigation direct.

So the issue of having parts on hand, most likely you would have the parts on hand. However, that in itself is a pain

For Greg and myself, this company would be a viable option since the company itself is less than 50 mile drive so parts could be here the next day if we made the ship time cut off.

I myself brought up this company when visiting my regular supplier. You can tell that there was some animosity, since the guy that started the irrigation direct company use to be owner of Horizon Irrigation and sat on their board until the recent acquisition by that Pool Company(forgot the name). One of the things that he was doing was building up a house brand (turf grow) using knock offs of popular products. At least from what I was told, to get around Ewing's exclusive distributorship rights on the west coast, at some time in the next couple of years, the mp rotator will be introduced in the house brand line up under the turf grow name of Horizon Irrigation. Really, as always, it's about money.

irrig8r
02-19-2007, 05:10 PM

Note: I tried to reply with a quote yesterday, then made an error and didn't edit in time, then asked the admin to remove the mistake, in the meantime made the reply I wanted, and he took out the intended reply.... oh well..it's all gone now.. ;)

Anyway, what I wrote was that when I worked the math it ended up as a 33% savings based on the price I paid for a 3 station Hunter Pro-C last year, and adding in the 3 station Hunter module to make six.

Hunter's prices may have gone up since then. I used Ewing contractor prices for comparison. And the ID price was also based on a carton quantity DMC outdoor mount model.

And like someone suggested, keeping some inventory on hand wouldn't hurt once you decide to go with a product.

I had been installing mostly ICCs and Pro-Cs on jobs for about 5 years.. the SRR was a good selling point. Last year I installed a few ESP-Ms. I like both the larger display and the contractor default program for my more elderly customers.

Meanwhile, I discovered the Weathermatic Smartline and got certified for that. It is supposed to have a handheld remote available this summer.

The Smartline comes with nice self diagnostic features, built in "chatterbox" style valve locator, month-by-month season adjust feature and a backlit display. (And that's just the standard mode.)

Add a weather station and it becomes a site-specific ET based controller.

I'm not sure if some of my customers will be comfortable with using all the features. The engineers and other tech geeks here in Silicon Valley seem to like it though.

So, I guess my point is, I don't know any one controller will fit all customers and I have to continue to be flexible. Irrgation Direct may play a signifcant role.. and if it works with Hunter's ET system that could sway me too.

irrig8r
02-20-2007, 04:37 PM
One more thing: Irrigation Direct has one of the best written manuals I've run across. I have a customer who is an IBM Fellow and holder of dozens of patents dealing with RFIDs and lots of electronic devices who couldn't figure out how to run selected stations manually on his ESP-M without accidentally changing the run times.

Took me two callbacks.. the main problem is the confusing multi-lingual manual.. Rain Bird couldn't come up with an English-only large type copy for me when I asked nicely, but two callbacks seemed to have done the trick for this customer...for now... or I guess at least until startup this Spring. :)

Here's the Irrigation Direct manual. You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to see it:

https://www.irrigationdirect.com/products/pdf/controllers_manual.pdf

DanaMac
02-20-2007, 07:19 PM
With no local supplier of the product, I would be against it due to no quick support if something goes wrong. I bought a bunch of parts online from a company in California, but it's all the same products that I can get here also. So the availability of getting the parts quick is good, and important for me.

gusbuster
02-20-2007, 11:44 PM
With no local supplier of the product, I would be against it due to no quick support if something goes wrong. I bought a bunch of parts online from a company in California, but it's all the same products that I can get here also. So the availability of getting the parts quick is good, and important for me.

Dana,
you are so correct about getting quick support and parts. At least from what I was told by I.D. the pro-c parts are interchangeable though I doubt the clock itself.

You don't get anywhere without taking chances, though after what I was told by my Horizon Rep, I might try them only after I verify a few things such as the interchangeable parts. Hey, at least I got a free hat out of them. I only had to spend over $100 bucks to get my free hat from Ewing.

LCPullman
02-22-2007, 01:53 AM
I got a box of the ID controllers recently. I'm not sure that I will stick with them though. I have been using the Hunter Pro-C.

One problem I noticed was that If I set the controller to run a station 15 minutes (at 100%), and then used the seasonal adjust feature to put it down to 50% and then back up the 100% the station was now set to run 12 minutes. Likewise a 13 minute setting reverted to 10 minutes. I haven't spent enough time to figure out if there is a way around this or if its just a temporary problem, but if that is how it works, it virtually makes that feature unuseable.

Another minor complaint I have is that the controller door does not latch shut. If you want to make sure it doesn't come open, you have to lock the door. The Hunter has a good latch on the door without locking it.

My first impression was that the controller box wan't quite as tough as the Hunter, but I will have to reevaluate the Hunter before I say that for sure.

So overall, my initial impression was that you do gain something by paying more for the Hunter product.

Rainman7
02-22-2007, 11:08 AM
I got a box of the ID controllers recently. I'm not sure that I will stick with them though. I have been using the Hunter Pro-C.

One problem I noticed was that If I set the controller to run a station 15 minutes (at 100%), and then used the seasonal adjust feature to put it down to 50% and then back up the 100% the station was now set to run 12 minutes. Likewise a 13 minute setting reverted to 10 minutes. I haven't spent enough time to figure out if there is a way around this or if its just a temporary problem, but if that is how it works, it virtually makes that feature unuseable.

Another minor complaint I have is that the controller door does not latch shut. If you want to make sure it doesn't come open, you have to lock the door. The Hunter has a good latch on the door without locking it.

My first impression was that the controller box wan't quite as tough as the Hunter, but I will have to reevaluate the Hunter before I say that for sure.

So overall, my initial impression was that you do gain something by paying more for the Hunter product.

I was just going to order one to try it out. Glad I saw your post.

Have you emailed or called ID reguarding these problems? The seasonal adjust for me would be a major problem. Thats one feature I always show my customers that they like and use. As for the door and construction, that could also be a problem especially it the mounting surface is not perfectly flat.

How is the dial? When you index it does it snap to position or does it seem flimsy like the original SRC's? How's the display quality?

LCPullman
02-22-2007, 02:30 PM
I'll be headed out today to check the controller out more and refresh myself on one of the Hunter Pro-C that I have installed, so I'll post more later.

No I have not contacted ID yet, but I probably will be doing that here.

As far as the door, if you keep it locked and leave the key in it, that would work if others need easy access to it.

LCPullman
02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
The operation of the dial seems pretty much the same as on the Hunter (good snap to points, but not too hard to turn). The buttons are similar too. I think that after pushing the button or turning the knob there is more lag on the ID as to how quickly the change is reflected on the screen.

Display quality is again similar to the Hunter, not better, maybe a little worse. The Hunter may be a little more distinct.but not a big difference.

I sent an email off to ID regarding the seasonal adjust issue, so I'll have to see what I get back. If there is no solution for that, I certainly won't be using the ID controller because seasonal adjust is an important way for customers to easily adjust for hotter and cooler weather without screwing up the whole schedule.

The door not having a latch would not be such a problem if there was some friction between the door and the rest of the housing, but as it is, the door will swing open if the mounting isn't quite level.

LCPullman
02-23-2007, 01:25 PM
I just had a nice talk with the ID guy.
He said that they found out about the seasonal adjust glitch a couple of weeks ago and are in the process of fixing it, in several weeks they should have their inventory changed out with the updates products and then they will be replacing the ones they have sold.

The LCD screen on the ID is bigger than the Hunter screen, So all the numbers and symbols are bigger too.

The door although it does not have a latch does actually have something that should keep the door closed without needing to lock the key (l'll have to double check the controller I installed, maybe I'm missing something). The ID guy said the interior model (no key) is tight closing.

So in several weeks, you should be able to get some controllers with the updated seasonal adjust feature.

PurpHaze
02-23-2007, 11:13 PM
The test of any good company is how well they modify their products and correct glitches after endusers report problems. This is just another aspect of customer satisfaction and standing behind their product. :)

koster_irrigation
02-28-2007, 09:23 AM
I Got My Free Id Hat Today!!! Looks Good

bicmudpuppy
02-28-2007, 02:32 PM
I Got My Free Id Hat Today!!! Looks Good

Mine came the other day. Very nice hat. I can't believe they didn't include anything else in the box. No catalog, product lit, or anything!

Dirty Water
02-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Mine came the other day. Very nice hat. I can't believe they didn't include anything else in the box. No catalog, product lit, or anything!

They can't afford any other stuff because they spent all their money on hats.

laylow1994
02-28-2007, 07:16 PM
i got my hat today... it had a little literture. and a small catalogue... im gonna by a couple timers and see how they hold up.... ill keep you guys informed...

PurpHaze
02-28-2007, 10:09 PM
They can't afford any other stuff because they spent all their money on hats.

When I move up your way Jon I expect a computer geek hat... you know, one with a little propeller on top. :laugh:

Dirty Water
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
No hat for you, but I will buy you a beer.

PurpHaze
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
That's a deal! :)

Hank Reardon
03-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Did you notice Jon's new "location"? Chillin' with the upper crust! :cool2:

Good for you, bradda. :drinkup:

PurpHaze
03-01-2007, 09:22 AM
I did notice that. Almost asked him if he sold out to the Microsoft way of life. Besides... Sequim is sooooo much nicer to roll around in the mouth when pronouncing than Redmond is. :laugh:

Dirty Water
03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I live 5 minutes from MS, but I don't work for them, maybe someday, it would be nice. We got a 1/2" of snow last night....In nearly march...go figure.

Hank Reardon
03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Did any notice I hijacked the thread? :) Who is Irrigation Direct again??

How much did Sequim get? I'm off today as they received 4"+ at Lofall while we only got about an inch here on the island.

Dirty Water
03-01-2007, 05:02 PM
I have no idea how much Sequim got.

I should call my wife.

irrig8r
03-06-2007, 12:06 AM
So anyway, I got my sample ID controller today. I'm going to replace my very old Total Control with it and see if it will work with the Hunter SRR remote as promised.

irrig8r
03-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Finally got around to installing the new DMC controller, replacing a 10 year old Total Control here at the house. I had a spare Hunter SRR, and about 50 surplus Smartport cables lying around :) .. so I wired it up just like in a Pro-C, and hot damn it works.... just exactly perfect. Beeps and all.

The display is larger and easier to read, especially the season adjust bar graph on the left (longer bars very 5th one or every 50% increment as it were.)

And the dial clicks firmly into each function.

So far, so good.

A couple of things that I'm not as sure about:

1. Program button and advance arrows seem touchy.. easy to accidentally skip ahead but easy to go back too.

2. Font is not as bold as the Pro-C. (Easiest to read displays for my money are the Rain Bird ESP-M and the Weathermatic SmartDial.. and it's backlit besides)

3. The six station module seems like a good idea, but like a compact parking space it has limitations. #14 wire would be a tight squeeze. I had #18/5 already there for the last timer.

All in all it seems highly functional, and the interchangeability with a few Hunter components makes it more interesting...

londonrain
03-10-2007, 11:25 AM
I bet that this controller is made by the same factory in china as the pro-c.
The controller looks like the early model pro-c with the snap in modules vs the lock in modules....

Flow Control
03-10-2007, 02:11 PM
u got it....

irrig8r
03-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Just another "status report". The controller did indeed self-adjust for DST this Am. It has a little sun logo that appeared on the upper left of the screen and the time was right on. I was impressed.

irrig8r
03-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Back to the question of patents and controllers. I found out that toro actually owns the patent on modular controllers, and there's been some legal wrangling between Hunter and Toro and Rain Bird about this... the way I heard it Toro won a patent infringement lawsuit, and the others will have to pay up bigtime.

irrig8r
05-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Kinda feels like I'm talking to my self here, but just an update: the ID DMC works great with my Hunter SRR remote. I'm installing 3 of the outdoor and 2 indoor controllers this week on various jobs...

One replaces an old 12 station Buckner electro-mechanical clock, another replaces an early 80's 12 station Irritrol MC Plus.

Another replaces a Watermaster piece of junk that has the external transformer mounted indoor and the cord passed through a hole in the window frame outside and on a west-facing wall where it got really baked. (The new outdoor mount will be in a new location, on the shady side of the building.)

Another one is a Toro Greenkeeper ('nuff said.)

Did a quick demo with a customer Saturday who is a President and CEO of a Silicon Valley hi tech firm. I probably could have upsold him to something more than he needed, but the simple programming seemed to sell itself. And I suppose my enthusiasm about the product caught on.

The word is, this company has a bigger model in the works to compete with the ICC. It will start at 12 stations and be expandable in increments of 6 up to 36 and will be available in both plastic and metal cases...

LCPullman
05-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Glad to hear that it works with the remote. I'm getting a ICR shortly so I'll try that out. So far they seem to be pretty good controllers.

irrig8r
05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
One caveat- these controllers are easiest to install using #18 multiple conductor cable.

First time I tried existing #14 with one this AM. Expansion modules fit just fine, but the screws and posts on the 6 station base module just won't accomodate it. Allow for some #18, wire nuts and extra time when you have this issue.

Otherwise, installed two 12 station clocks today, one indoor and one out, and they both work great.