PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Bunton Belt drive??

DrAJ
07-12-2001, 09:05 AM
I have found a Bunton belt drive mower w/ a 48" deck. All the info that I have so far is: ~6 yrs old (used as backup mower if others were down...don't know actual hours yet), 12.5 Kawasaki motor, and he says it is in good shape. He is asking $850.

I will only be using it to mow about 1/2 acre right now, but will use it on 1+ acres in the near future.

Are there any problems/defects that I should look for when I test it out?? If it is in good shape, is it worth $850? :confused:

One more thing, he says he is selling it because of health reasons and getting out of the business.

Any information would really be appreciated! :D

AJ

accuratelawn
07-14-2001, 03:39 PM
Offer $700 and see what happens.

K9LWT
07-14-2001, 05:41 PM
I bought a 52' Bunton with a 13hp Honda 3 years ago for $1000. I have a large lawn, and planned on only mowing my lawn with it. I didn't have any idea about it's past-it was bought from a friend that bought it from a commercial mowing company a couple years earlier. The engine still runs great (typical honda), but I don't like the drive system. I put new belts on last year, and they are already slipping.

I decided to get a few more lawns and I went out and bought a new mower. The Bunton is now sitting in my garage taking up space.

If you can afford it-I would try to get something hydro-especially if it's your only machine.

Good luck.

vipermanz
07-15-2001, 02:33 AM
Kawasaki makes a good engine, So that shouldn't be a problem.
Check and see if anything is loose or has any play in it, check out how the power is under load(blades running), see if the throttle responds well, check the oil quality, see if the blades are sharp(this could tell you if he maintained it),check for any peeling paint(RUST!), check the belt quality,spindles,tires,wires,plugs,and anything elsepeople post after me!

vipermanz
07-15-2001, 02:43 AM
what condition's your bunton in K9LWT?

DrAJ
07-16-2001, 07:49 AM
I really appreciate the replies! I am thinking about some other options now. This does not appear to have been kept up too well. Like he said...It was his backup mower, and I think he basically did not care about any matainence on it.:confused:

Thanks again for the posts and advice, I will use it on the next mower I look at.

AJ

K9LWT
07-16-2001, 09:14 PM
Vipermanz,

It's in good shape-as far as I know. I haven't had any problems with the engine or other parts (belts need to be adjusted). I change the oil regularly and keep it lubed and clean.

As I said earlier-I have no idea what kind of past it had. When I first bought it I had a broken axle-I guess it's fairly common. I just got tired of walking behind it and wanted something faster/easier.

Lawndude
07-26-2001, 09:29 AM
Ive been runnung a Bunton Good All 52 inch its the best mower in the world. needed some belt tightning adjustments but runs great and is undestructable. payed $500. best investment i ever made.