PDA

View Full Version : sides or not?

crc13
02-17-2007, 11:04 AM
I am going to purchase a 6.5x12 landscape trailer and am thinking about the sides. Is it better to get solid 15" sides or the open sides with just the steel framing? What would you get if it were you? Same price for both. H&H is the sided one and Pro Star is the other one.1200 dollars for either. Opinions?

Jason Rose
02-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Sides on the trailer, I prefer expanded metal for the sides, just because the expanded metal gives you all kinds of nice places to hook tarp straps or lighter weight tie down straps too.

Sorry that this answer dosn't encompass either of your choices... I suppose that the solid sheet metal would be the next choice... Open rail trailers are what almost everyone has, but having that enclosed is so nice so that you don't have small stuff falling through off of the sides.

Uranus
02-17-2007, 07:24 PM
I have to agree with Jason.

Right now I have the open steel frame and I'm was going to weld on some solid metal to box in the trailer. I lost a few gas cans last year and dont need to be replacing them. One was full too.

I'm now 90% sure that I will be putting expanded metal on instead of solid. That way I can bungee things down some if I find that they slide around. Nothing more annoying than moving gas cans every stop.

I would go expanded metal first, but if its not an option then solid is the way to go.

stroker51
02-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I like the expanded metal sides too, a friend of mine made them for his bobcat trailer, pretty handy. What I did when I had my new trailer built last year, 7.5 by 18, was no sides at all. I then made some from 2x10's or 12's can't quite remember, the full length of the trailer. Since I ordered a flatbed, (no rails or sides) I got 2 D-rings at the front and back of the trailer. I also had them add a rub rail on the outside of the stake pockets all the way down the sides of the trailer. Provides plenty of places to tie things down, and if I ever go pick up a pallet of sod or have mulch or something to shovel off, I can pull the sideboard off, load/unload, put it back and go, try getting a pallet of anything on or off of the side of a rail trailer. I used to work at a sod farm and I would hate it whenever somebody pulled up in a field wanting two pallets of sod loaded on a rail trailer.

Jason Rose
02-18-2007, 11:25 AM
That's another good idea, no side rails at all... But you have to consider what you will use the trailer for all the time. Having no side rails means you can put your own on, either made from metal or just wood. But to loose a place to attach racks for trimmers, blowers, ect. Also the trailers that have no side rails are usually much heavier trailers, meant for hauling much heavier payloads than a typical landscape type trailer. Are you just going to be hauling a couple mowers usually? I wouldn't like hauling all the extra weight all the time, myself. Not saying that racks couldn't be added to an open type trailer, it would just take some fabrication.

tthomass
02-18-2007, 01:40 PM
solid weighs more

supercuts
02-18-2007, 01:52 PM
i have an enclosed trailer and the only thing i miss about the open trailer is being able to hop over the side and jump on a mower, or just crab a tool. the the sides i have to squeeze past my mower before getting on. maybe just do a larger 2 level enclosed shelve over the front and a trimmer rack on the side. thats the way i would go with an open trailer

crc13
02-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was just thinking of when I want to hall rock or dirt in the trailer. The tie downs would be a concern. What is expanded metal? I guess I could always put wood on the sides if I were to hall rock or dirt, but for the same price, gee, I don't know what to do.