PDA

View Full Version : Advertising: Has anyone tried this??

AltaLawnCare
07-12-2001, 01:40 PM
I'm putting my name and logo on a coffee mug as advertising in a small restraunt. The mugs are owned by the rest. and they use them for a year. It's 225.00 for a year, this is a small town so the coverage area shouldn't be too great.
I'm mainly doing it for name recognition.:D

gogetter
07-12-2001, 04:50 PM
Hmmmm. Can't really say whether or not it's a good idea for you , but it's damn sure a good idea for the restaurant! That's pretty clever thinking on thier part.

bubble boy
07-12-2001, 04:53 PM
if its just for recognition, how can it hurt?

bonus if the type of people who eat there are the type who would use your services. i guess it depends on the restaurant.

would be cool to steal a couple mugs for yourself!

jmartmel
07-12-2001, 04:56 PM
That's the best idea I heard of in a long time I'd go for it!

cp
07-12-2001, 07:15 PM
Advertising in general is a good thing. You get your name out there, but I have only had good results from flyers and word of mouth..

Let me know what restaurant and I'll try and stop in next time I'm around..Chris :blob3:

thelawnguy
07-12-2001, 07:28 PM
Do you get to keep what mugs are left at the end of the year?

What happens if, say, all the ad mugs get broken/destroyed within the first month, will they supply an endless stream or is it, once theyre gone thats it?

AltaLawnCare
07-12-2001, 09:36 PM
The rep said I would get a "few" mugs for myself. This particular restaruant is a little "cheesy" but next year, abigger one is doing the mugs and I've already reserved a spot.....:p
I getting ready to email my graphic to the lady handling the layout. I'll ask if they are nationwide and if they have a national contact number. This rep handles most of Va, ...
I don't know how far out he goes though, he is out of Lynchburg, Va.

LoneStarLawn
07-12-2001, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I always wanted to have some sort of advertising on a mug or pen, but didn't see the need for it for us right now. It seems it would work great in a small town though.

Stonehenge
07-13-2001, 12:20 AM
I guess I've always found that stuff to be a little too gimmicky. Let me ask you this: When was the last time you made a purchase decision, or called on a company, because you drank a cup of joe that had their name on it?

Sorry to lay that on you after you've already committed $$ to that avenue...

I use that as my litmus test for my advertising. If it worked on me, it may work on others.

AltaLawnCare
07-13-2001, 08:19 AM
The trick to advertising is to put out as much as possible to let everyone know who you are. The hope is that a potential customer will see it and if they were to need your services, they would remember your name, and not look in the paper with 30 LCOs advertising in it.
If I want a service, I look in the yellow pages - this is the most expensive form of advertising you can do. This goes back to name recognition if I see a familiar name in the listing(I may not remember where I saw it before) I'll be more inclined to call that one.
I believe it goes along with a name on the side of a truck - no more gimmicky than that, just good ole name recognition.
I don't look a coffee mugs when I need a service, but I don't go out and watch trucks drive by either.
I believe there is only one truely successful way to advertise, and thats by word of mouth. But when you're new, you need to get the contacts.
But all this is only my opinion, and for me the cost is well worth it. This forum is all about everyones opinions and none are completely right or completely wrong.;)

Stonehenge
07-14-2001, 08:41 AM
Alta -

I agree with you that opinions are like armpits - everyone's got two of 'em. And everybody can't be right (or wrong). I wish I could tell you that I have all marketing figured out and 'here's what you oughta do', but I don't. So I can't. You might get all kinds of biz from this idea. But I thought it wouldn't be unfair for me to share a dissenting opinion. I just know that I try to focus my mktg $ on the highest-impact, highest lead generation activities I can, and not use the 'blanket' approach, because I just don't have the funds for that. If you do, more power to you. You'll be able to dominate your market in no time.

And I'm with you on the point that you need to make an impact where you can have a 1x1 dialogue with the customer, and a coffee mug does that, where the YP don't. 100 cos screaming for your attention when you open the book to 'Landscaping.'

There are other gimmicky things I've done that were either free or almost free, that landed me large articles in the newspaper and even some face time on the evening news. That 3rd party presentation lends tons of credibility, which is something every small, growing company could use more of.

good luck and keep us informed on how it goes!

AltaLawnCare
07-15-2001, 12:07 PM
Thanks stonehenge,
I just removed my "Big" ad in the paper, and went with a little one(much cheaper). So I 'm using the savings to finance this "Mug Advertisement".
.. I got to admit part of it is I really want to see MY Business name along with the other advertisers on the mug - there are 7 other very reputable businesses listed there.
I decided to put out as much advertising in my first year as possible, hopefully next year I won't need to do as much.

racerdave
07-15-2001, 12:41 PM
Alta, I with you on the mug deal. I've that many potential customers need to see your name at least three times before they will consider you.
When you start out you have to spend alot to get your name out there, then you can gradually cut down on your ad budget. But you should always advertise to keep your business growing. When looking into many franchise operations, they expect the franchisee to spend anywhere from 3% to 5% of their gross receipts on advertising. How many of us do that?
David

Stonehenge
07-15-2001, 10:54 PM
I think advertising can take many forms, and dollars spent is not always the best measure.

One year I spent $1500 on advertising in one newspaper, and got 2 phonecalls.

This year I've spent $0 on advertising, except for yellow pages. Though I have spent $30-40 on paper and ink. I'm not sure if you are all in the identical business that I am, but I think our business is different than those that those marketing studies are done for.

My customers may only look to hire a landscaping firm 2 or 3 times in a lifetime. So I have to ask myself if I'm willing to spend money year after year so that person remembers me on those 2 or 3 occasions.

I would rather hit them right at the moment they are actively searching for a firm.

Sean Adams
07-17-2001, 01:03 AM
I agree with just about every differing opinion on this subject. What is good? What is worth it? What is a waste of money? Testing out new ideas and options do not hurt. I still believe that hands down the best form of marketing/advertising aside from positive word of mouth is direct mail. You can get the message you want right in front of the exact people you want to target. If the letter is written the right way with a professional approach, it cannot fail...results are sure to follow. People will argue that direct mail doesn't work. That probably means it didn't work for them, but my guess is their approach was wrong. Between the letter head, the envelope, the stamp and the cost to print the letter you are looking at $0.50 for each piece. For $500 you can have whatever you want right in front of 1,000 people, and that's 1,000 people you chose to get that message. It works...

MATTHEW
08-13-2001, 09:20 PM
Seems like such a waste. I bought a block in one of those coupon books. Went out to 150,000 homes over a 3 month period. I got 2 calls! But I have been on the lawn topic with people and when I mentioned my Co. name the response was "oh, I've heard of them" But, of course, they did not call. Hands down-word of mouth is the sure way to growth.