PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Scag spindles?

tsh1773
02-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm in the process of repainting my mower deck before the new season begins. I need to know how to remove the spindles from the deck. Please advise. Thanks in advance. The first picture is of the top 2 bolts taken out and the 4 deck bolts removed. It looks like the key has to come out first. Also the second pic is the bottom of the spindle. I don't think a socket will fit in between the bolt and the spindle housing. The 3rd and 4th pics are of another spindle without anything being removed.

Precision
02-17-2007, 06:02 PM
wouldn't it be easier to just tape them off and not remove them?

dutch1
02-17-2007, 07:39 PM
In the third pic, remove the key then remove the two capscrews that retain the locking collar and thread them into the other two opposing threaded holes. Run them in till they are snug against the pulley hub then tighten each alternately in order to push the locking collar away from the pulley. As you tighten you may wish to use a brass hammer to smack the end of the spindle to break the bond of the locking collar in the pulley. It would be good to spray down the spindle with a good penetrant beforehand. Good luck.

Dutch